Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
while this was just really mild singletrack behind a local school, I saw a small turtle on said singletrack. other than that, it was just the usual squirrels, tho I have seen a few really small lizards. I have heard of turkeys and snakes at one of my favorite local trail networks, though. oddly enouh, at the same trail I've seen the lizards at, I ran through some mud and a lot of honey bees suddenly came out of the mud and flew around a bit before I turned around and went the other way. they looked surprisingly un-muddy, considering they just came out of the mud:confused:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Will post pic of bull moose that stepped out on the trail 30 yards in front of us while riding at Park City, UT as soon as I can find it.

·
is no longer new
131 Posts
froth14, did you by chance happen to see those wild ponies up around Mt. Rogers National Recreation Area?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've seen alot of deer, a snake, alot of squirrels and a few chipmunks. I almost hit a chipmunk last year going down a trail kinda fast the little guy ran across about three feet in front of my tire.

·
Registered
10 Posts
weirdest thing I have ever seen is a monkey.

There's a trail near my hometown in Louisiana in a park with a chimp rescue center. I about **** my pants the first time I heard one of those things start screaming while I was riding.

·
Build More = Ride More
1,442 Posts
santacruzchick said:
Will post pic of bull moose that stepped out on the trail 30 yards in front of us while riding at Park City, UT as soon as I can find it.
I'm 1,000 times more afraid of bull moose than any other creature out there. Those things can get really aggressive!

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Deer, ducks, geese, squirrels, chipmunks, the occasional coyote, and on one section of the local trail you can hear the monkeys from the zoo.

·
thread killer
757 Posts
I have seen a lot of critters on the trails while I've been riding.
You know the usual squirrels, chipmunks, snakes, dear, some vultures the other day.

The two most memorable thing I've seen.

I came down a hill through the woods into a clearing and noticed.
These small black rocks with white stripes moving around my tires.
Oh crap, baby skunks. I stopped real quick because I didn't want to run any over.
A quick look around for mommy skunk. Thankfully I had passed her on the trail before
I got to the babies. I took a second to be thankful I didn't stink.

The most scariest animal I've seen while riding has been a mountain lion.
I saw it in almost the same aria as the skunks but months later.
I was lucky because I stopped to take a break and saw the mountain lion across a valley.
From about a half to three quarters of a mile away. It was moving slowly through the trees.
Needless to say I got out of the wood as quickly as I could without drawing attention to my self.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I saw a coyote with a large deer in his mouth, the coyotes in my area look very health and large. The don't even give dam if your close to them, they just look at you then saunter off. some live deer, many squirrels. Some mt. bikers recently reported hearing a Mt. Lyon growling close by, but I have never seen them.

the most amazing thing I saw was two large Turkey Vultures along the Santa Ana river bike path in the Long Beach.Calif. reserve area.

·
Vita brevis
440 Posts
I saw these demon possessed elk last week. (note the green glowing eyes)

I see elk and mule deer pretty often, occasionally bear (usually in the fall), and rarely, mountain lion. That is not counting chipmunks, rabbits, horny toads, etc....

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
This was in my front yard yesterday. Wasn't riding tho. :) He was pretty cool tho. I let'm go back into our creek.

·
Registered
250 Posts
YoPawn said:
I'm 1,000 times more afraid of bull moose than any other creature out there. Those things can get really aggressive!
How about a boar. Smarter than a dog, can run thirty miles per hour, two hundred or so pounds, and huge tusks. Plus, I hear, a bad attitude.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Some Kangaroos in some regional bushland near me. There's been some times when they were jumping alongside us out there as we rode. Quite a cool site to see

·
all about the ride down
378 Posts
While riding I've seen bison, moose, elk, big horn sheep, a mountain lion once, black bear, grizzlies,mule deer, whitetail deer, porcupine, pine marten, beaver, ruffed & dusky grouse, Rio Grande turkey, cows!, snakes, coyotes, a wolf and of course marmots, pine squirrels, chipmunks, etc...

The beasts that scare me the most are a cow moose with a calf, bull moose in rut and bison are just plain unpredictable.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts