Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All
I might be in the Williams AZ area the week after Christamas and was wondering if you guys would recommend some good trails within an hour from Williams AZ. Also need possible MTB rentals.

We would like some technical trails, single track, rocky. Only grand vistas and giant cacti can substitute for technicality.

· parenting for gnarness
6,224 Posts
Captain_Hero said:
Hello All
I might be in the Williams AZ area the week after Christamas and was wondering if you guys would recommend some good trails within an hour from Williams AZ. Also need possible MTB rentals.

We would like some technical trails, single track, rocky. Only grand vistas and giant cacti can substitute for technicality.
search this forum for Bill Williams trail and Sycamore Rim, both nearby. You are about 45 min from Flag. Conditions at all of those may be affected by winter.

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,676 Posts
Trails around Williams WILL NOT WORK. It will be SNOW, or if by some magic it melts, it will be death mud, but it won't melt off of BW Mountain, and I wouldn't even think about attempting Syamore Rim either.

You have to go South to Prescott. Granite Basin is good as long as you stay off of the North end of 347. That is probably the first "ridable" area and it should be good right now. Other areas are thawing out and somewhat of a mess, but rapidly getting better. Most likely we'll have quite a bit of riding available, but Sedona could be an even better option. It will be warmer. It is about an hour longer drive though.

We don't have much technical in Prescott, exept for the new "Dells" trails, but those are each a max of about 2 miles and they don't connect to any other longer trails. They also do not gain or lose any significant altitude.

Sedona is probably the ticket, although slightly closer (with a lot less trail milege) you have the Raptor/Thumper/Lime Kiln loop in Cottonwood's Dead Horse State Park.

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,676 Posts
I fly out around Northern Arizona almost every day. Everything above about 6500' is a winter-wonderland. If it gets good I'd let you know, but I've been able to scale the South side of BW Mountain on my bike, only to find the North side in 5 feet of snow or more. I don't see this changing in 2 weeks though.

· Over the Hill
1,769 Posts
I have rode Sycamore Rim with some snow on the trail. It was a couple of days before X-Mas last year. The sections that where mostly dirt was sloppy but rideable, problem was all the rocks hiding under the snow and that trail is rocky. In hindsight I probably would not do that again in those conditions. I did not even think about going over KA Hill. But the Forest Service access roads out there where in excellent shape. Next time if there was snow I would just hit some of those jeep and quad trails, especially that one that goes out to the camping spot next to the Rim that the Rim Trail goes thru.

Pic has the FS Road # that goes to to the view and camping.

Dean

Attachments

· Registered
32 Posts
Yep, I would go straight to Sedona, rent a bike at Bike & Bean and also get a route recommendation from those guys. You will be happy. Rocky technical single track with grand views. Any other option within an hour of Williams would be a total mess.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.