Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
On the Stamford/Greenwich border is Mianus river park. You have a few carriage/fire roads throughout with single track that goes in between. It's not huge, but you can have a good 3 hour ride without doing the same trail twice if you know where you are going. It is as hard or as easy as you want it to be depending on which singletrack you go to. There is some that climbs the ridge and is pretty rooty and rocky and somewhat technical.
Just watch out for a lot of hikers and other users, as we are not on the best of terms with them at this point as well.
Half hour away is trumbull which is a lot more technical, bigger, and has a lot more options in the way of freeriding.
Post back if you want directions at all or have any questions, welcome to the area!
Where are you moving from?
-Dan

·
Registered
270 Posts
There's a couple of places near by

nmpub said:
My job may be moving to the Stamford area soon, so am looking for information on trails in the surrounding area. Mainly interested in intermediate/expert. Don't know the CT area at all so any help would be appreciated. So far have found the following CT sites:
http://www.bikerag.com/bike_trail_maps_text_CT.htm
http://www.nemba.org/ridingzone/places-ct.html
20-25 minutes can get you to Norwalk, Cranberry park is pretty descent. A little farther up rte 15 is Trumbull, one of the best around for rollers drops and singletrack. If you go south about 20-30 minutes you can get to places in Westchester NY like Blue Mtn.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. If I move, I probably won't be moving from Illinois for a couple of months yet. Have been in the Stamford area only once and am trying to learn more about the area beforehand. Figured learning about the trails should be high on the priority list.

·
Registered
582 Posts
nmpub said:
Thanks for the info. If I move, I probably won't be moving from Illinois for a couple of months yet. Have been in the Stamford area only once and am trying to learn more about the area beforehand. Figured learning about the trails should be high on the priority list.

Witihn an hour of stamford you've got...

Stamford, Mianus River Park (small but close to home)
Norwalk, Cranbury Park (tiny, basically an xc race course)
Trumbull, Indian Ledge (tons of free ride and XC stuff)
Redding, Troutbrook (XC heaven, bring the legs though)
Redding, Huntington State Park (technically closed until December but good riding)
Peekskill, Blue Mountain (just make sure you ride S&S)

A little further away in Carmel NY you've got Ninham Mountain, ride here before you die. I assure you there is nothing like Ninham in Illinois.

New England in general has lots of high quality riding.

·
Registered
11 Posts
hey guys i live in stamford, wondering if you guys had a chance to try out mianus, what do you think? ive been ridding there for longer than i care about

·
Registered
57 Posts
konastab01 said:
hey guys i live in stamford, wondering if you guys had a chance to try out mianus, what do you think? ive been ridding there for longer than i care about
I have yet to ride there but probably going to give it a try next spring. RAW in the Dark (riding after work) is no joy for me, even with illumnation. If you are interested in other places to ride, check out the Pinenetum in Greenwich and there are some trails off of North Street, Exit 31 Merritt Parkway, also in Greenwich.

Otherwise, you have to head upstate/county for more area and trails. Two places as such are Trout Brook and Huntington.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Trumbull Rides

LSett said:
n/m n/m n/m
Dudes at Crankfire ride Trumbull alot. Not so much as night, but alot on the weekends. In fact we had two rides there over the Turkey Day weekend. I would sign-up on the site and in the Ride forum ask if anyone wants to ride Trumbull, say this weekend and see if you get any takers. There is one dude that lives in Monroe, that will probably join you.

I might be up for a Trumbull excursion on the weekend of the 17th. I want to try those drops on the north side by the entrance to Indian Ledge and there is a ladder ride over there, too, that I want to try (also find for that matter).

If you like Trumbull, have you tried Ninham in Carmel, NY?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Yea, I've been exploring Trumbull for weeks, and I keep finding (and losing) cool stuff in there. I want to get out there at night for a different

I've ridden Ninham several times. That place is just awesome. I wish I rode there more often.

·
Registered
57 Posts
LSett said:
Yea, I've been exploring Trumbull for weeks, and I keep finding (and losing) cool stuff in there. I want to get out there at night for a different

I've ridden Ninham several times. That place is just awesome. I wish I rode there more often.
I see that you joined CF, so just keep an eye on there and most likely there will be somebody riding Trumbull, if not this weekend although I think there is a thread already concerning this weekend, then the next. Or you can start a thread to see if anyone wants to ride and see if you get any takers.

·
Feeling a little taller
6,702 Posts
RemfRider said:
I see that you joined CF, so just keep an eye on there and most likely there will be somebody riding Trumbull, if not this weekend although I think there is a thread already concerning this weekend, then the next. Or you can start a thread to see if anyone wants to ride and see if you get any takers.
I'll be swooping through Stamford during the holiday week. Does anybody have an extra bike I can borrow? Perhaps I can con someone into leading a ride for a couple of brews at Murphy's?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Dan'ger said:
I'll be swooping through Stamford during the holiday week. Does anybody have an extra bike I can borrow? Perhaps I can con someone into leading a ride for a couple of brews at Murphy's?
Ahhh, Murph's Tavern! I loved that place, especially after school when I was getting my MBA at UCONN. The person you should talk to about leading a ride at My Anus (Mianus) is the deeman or e moneybags. They frequently ride there. You can find them over on www.crankfire.com.

·
Feeling a little taller
6,702 Posts
RemfRider said:
Ahhh, Murph's Tavern! I loved that place, especially after school when I was getting my MBA at UCONN. The person you should talk to about leading a ride at My Anus (Mianus) is the deeman or e moneybags. They frequently ride there. You can find them over on www.crankfire.com.
Thanks! I joined and started a post there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts