Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Pirate!!!
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm headed to the lake next weekend to do some boating, wondering if I should bring the bike? Is there any great trails close to the lake?

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Yes

Captain Cobb said:
I'm headed to the lake next weekend to do some boating, wondering if I should bring the bike? Is there any great trails close to the lake?
There are a couple great trails around the lake. And they all begin near boat launches, so that would work out great if you had your bike on the boat with you. Dry creek is an out and back that is 4 or 5 miles long each way. Feels more like 10 miles each way though because of the nature of the trail. Its very fun and more on the technical side of things. It can be found on the north west side of the dam.

Clickapudi is a nice loop. I would recommend riding it counter clockwise. They have just resurfaced some of the trail, so the downhills are really fast and flowy right now. Its about a 10 mile loop. The trail can be accessed right in the clickapudi boat launch parking lot.

Then there is Packers bay. A really under rated and under used trail. Its short so thats why I don't think many people do it. But ridden as an out and back is fun, or do a loop by climbing up the pavement from the packers bay parking lot, then heading back down on the trail. This trail has a couple of the most fast fun sections around. I like to knock out two loops by climbing the pavement and heading down the trail. Each loop would be maybe 5 miles.

Oh, and if you are in for a huge ride, there is literally hundreds of miles of stuff in the OHV area behind the damn.

Oh, and also, if you want a really easy pedal, on the south east side of the dam, there is the newish sacramento ditch trail/hornbeck trail. Its a very easy pedal with some nice scenery. Also, you can easily make that ride into a 30 plus miler.

·
Pirate!!!
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow it looks like I have some good options, thanks. I'm not sure what marina I will be at to start out otherwise I'd ask for more details. I may get back to this post right before I go for more info. Thanks.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I agree the Clikapudi trail is pretty fun, used to be alot prettier before the last fire that burned through there a few years ago. Watch for Poison Oak as there are some thick patches along the trail. I used to run and ride it alot when I lived in Redding.

·
Pirate!!!
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mike5krnr said:
I agree the Clikapudi trail is pretty fun, used to be alot prettier before the last fire that burned through there a few years ago. Watch for Poison Oak as there are some thick patches along the trail. I used to run and ride it alot when I lived in Redding.
Sounds like a winner, where do I pick up the trailhead? Is it all singletrack? How's the drainage if it rains? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
205 Posts
It starts at the Jones Valley Campground if you want to get the full 10 miles in as that portion is an out and back about 1.5 miles. Most people park on the road, and there is a trailhead sign. The trail then splits and you can stay on the lakeside portion or you can head up and over the road, hit switchbacks and go over the top to a small valley before rejoining the lake. It is all singletrack with small stream crossings. The deeper crossings all have bridges. There might be some initial washouts from ATV riders tearing up the trail... Drainage is great, you can ride it easily in the rain. Not a real technical trail but, has some great scenery, especially with a full lake...

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Don't forget about the Advanced loop out there at Clikapudi.....it's pretty technical....but fun to ride if you're into that kind of riding......if you ride Clikapudi in the counter-clockwise direction.....it will be on your right at the top of the last climb.

·
Registered
760 Posts
And the ride from the dam down the Hornbeck, then the FB Trail, to the Sac River in Redding, across the Ribbon Bridge, then back up the other side of the Sac River on the Old Rail Bed to the Dam is a nice 50+/- miler with lots of fun stuff to see along the way. If you do this ride consider a trip to the top of Chamise Peak - off the Hornbeck.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Yeah, Clikapudi

I agree with the Clikapudi recomendations. Not too technical, good flow, nothing too steep and it's interesting enough that if you want s'more saddle time you won't be bored with a second lap.

·
Registered
378 Posts
mike5krnr said:
It is all singletrack with small stream crossings. The deeper crossings all have bridges. There might be some initial washouts from ATV riders tearing up the trail... ...
Started riding Clik way back in the 80s' . back then lots of it was old jeep road, and there were no bridges. Atv riders tearing up a trail that used to be a road.

I even once drove a truck down to the old indian burial ground area, and all the way to the lake to dig crystals. Great trail system.

Take a ride on Dry creek trail , you won't forget it. Especially when the lake is low.

·
Banned
87 Posts
ZEKEDAWG said:
Take a ride on Dry creek trail , you won't forget it. Especially when the lake is low.
That's hypothetical, right?

Given current lake levels, snow pack , etc. Shasta won't be experiencing low lake levels any time soon.

Which is a good thing.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Itchy The Clown said:
That's hypothetical, right?

Given current lake levels, snow pack , etc. Shasta won't be experiencing low lake levels any time soon.

Which is a good thing.
Have you ridden Dry creek when the lake is 50+ feet down? At some points the trail is a foot wide and it is 100 feet straight down. definetely keeps you awake

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
Bigfoot said:
I agree with the Clikapudi recomendations. Not too technical, good flow, nothing too steep and it's interesting enough that if you want s'more saddle time you won't be bored with a second lap.
Another vote for Clikapudi. It won't challenge you much, but damn, it's a fun ride. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
ZEKEDAWG said:
Have you ridden Dry creek when the lake is 50+ feet down? At some points the trail is a foot wide and it is 100 feet straight down. definetely keeps you awake
It's awesome to ride when the lake is full too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts