Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of good singletrack in the San Simeon area? I'm going to be there this weekend and would like a chance to get out for a ride or two. Montana de Oro State Park seems like a good option, although it is a bit of drive. Something closer would be nice.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
There are no public trails in San Simeon or Cambria.

Montana de Oro will be your closest, or actually Cerro Alto off Hwy 41 above Morro Bay.

With the rains that have started and what is predicted for the week, none of our trails will be condition to ride without causing major trail damage. Please be aware and check here - SLO Trail Conditions. Here are suggestions for rainy days.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Yep, no public trails in San Simeon to ride on. Get caught on the hiking trails and they do actively fine people. A couple of local guys got busted by the cops night riding there and even spent some time in the local county jail (of course they also tried to run when the police showed up)

There are some public trails in Cambria, just no epic singletrack. The Fiscalini Ranch Preserve has some XC trails that criscross it with a couple sections that run through the pine forest. You can put together a fun loop for about 8 miles or so. There are a couple other areas in town that are rideable, just not official. One access area will say "No Tresspassing", but you can access it from a different area of town that has no signs, and obviously gets freqented by riders and hikers.

I live in Cambria, send me a PM if you want.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I used to work at Fort Hutter Ligget 10 years ago so this might be a little outdated.
Look for Nacimento-Ferggenson (sp?) road. It is north of San Simeon, across from a state beach. It goes from the ocean to Fort Hunter Ligget, 36 miles, then to King City, another 35 miles. It take an hour and 1/2 + to go that distance.

At the top of the mountain 10 miles from the ocean side there is a dirt road the goes north to Big Sur and south to near Heast Castle. Don't know about single track but the views are great. Ocean one side, Sierras on the other. You will also never forget the drive. There also camp ground down the inland side of the road.

If you go into the base and go north you will leave the base and come upon an old indian hang out. Very nice swiming hole there. Also very remote and no one is ever around. Be sure and stop to see the mission. It is the last untouched mission in California.

PS. The inland side of the road belongs to the base but is not used for training. There are some tank trails you could follow.

PSS. You used to be able to buy a wood cutting permit on the base. They would tell you what areas you could cut wood. $10 to be able play while looking for wood.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
89hawk said:
I used to work at Fort Hutter Ligget 10 years ago so this might be a little outdated.
Look for Nacimento-Ferggenson (sp?) road. It is north of San Simeon, across from a state beach. It goes from the ocean to Fort Hunter Ligget, 36 miles, then to King City, another 35 miles. It take an hour and 1/2 + to go that distance.

At the top of the mountain 10 miles from the ocean side there is a dirt road the goes north to Big Sur and south to near Heast Castle. Don't know about single track but the views are great. Ocean one side, Sierras on the other. You will also never forget the drive. There also camp ground down the inland side of the road.

If you go into the base and go north you will leave the base and come upon an old indian hang out. Very nice swiming hole there. Also very remote and no one is ever around. Be sure and stop to see the mission. It is the last untouched mission in California.

PS. The inland side of the road belongs to the base but is not used for training. There are some tank trails you could follow.

PSS. You used to be able to buy a wood cutting permit on the base. They would tell you what areas you could cut wood. $10 to be able play while looking for wood.
A tremendous amount has changed there in 10 years and is changing now.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=570667

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
slocaus,

Thanks for posting up that link. If I recall correctly, there was another thread about that same time that had some further info on how to connect through legally from Arroyo Seco to the coast.

My understanding is that you better have a good ID if you try to access Hunter Ligget these days, via car or bike.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
Glad to post it. This post by Devo was what first got my attention to that area. I have been keeping track of what I can find on that area. I was thinking there was another thread as well, but cannot find it in my bookmarks.

·
Registered
761 Posts
HarryCallahan said:
slocaus,

Thanks for posting up that link. If I recall correctly, there was another thread about that same time that had some further info on how to connect through legally from Arroyo Seco to the coast.

My understanding is that you better have a good ID if you try to access Hunter Ligget these days, via car or bike.
Second that , in the fall 5 of us 40 somethings from the central valley decided to ride or sportbikes up the coast for lunch by way of hunter ligget. Turns out only one of us has a current insurance card (all had insurance) and one of the Leo's at the gate was a stickler for the rules (current DL,reg and insurance) and wanted to call all of our info in for verification. That turned out to be a minor annoyance as I ran over a piece of shrapnel on the base and had to ride NF road down to lucia on a rear tire that could not be repaired and would not hold air. Ultimately my wife had to bring me a spare wheel so I could fix the bike for the ride home (8 hr round trip for her), I left Lucia just after nightfall and could swear I hearing the banjos from deliverance as i was pulling out. Those locals are a little interesting to say the least.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts