Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so was suppose to go up to payson on easter weekend for some camping with the family, was gonna do some awesome biking on the rim but family decide to go to horseshoe lake instead, so if anybody knows of any trails near the lake or even a short drive away can you let me know...:madman: :madman: :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
558 Posts
There is a path under the spillway of the dam the takes you to a FS road to Sheeps Crossing on teh Verde River upstream from the lake. No single track but a nice ride to a historic area.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
293 Posts
Take Cave Creek rd./Seven Springs Rd./Forest Road 24 (these are the same road) to Forest Rd. 269 junction. Take a right here and roll all the way to the river.

You will need a 4WD vehicle with high clearance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya seriously, im trying to get them to camp in payson, but weve been camping at horseshoe for years...i guess they try to remember the good old days
 

·
windrider
Joined
·
177 Posts
mileage?...

AZ_AlanS said:
There is a path under the spillway of the dam the takes you to a FS road to Sheeps Crossing on teh Verde River upstream from the lake. No single track but a nice ride to a historic area.
I just Google Earth-ed the lake neighborhood and found the FS road to Sheeps Bridge but I'm curious about how far that is. I've been to the bridge from the Seven Springs side but not your route. Have you got a mileage estimate?
 

·
windrider
Joined
·
177 Posts
not necessarily...

ARIZycle said:
Take Cave Creek rd./Seven Springs Rd./Forest Road 24 (these are the same road) to Forest Rd. 269 junction. Take a right here and roll all the way to the river.

You will need a 4WD vehicle with high clearance.
Your roll on FR 269 is 12 miles out and 12 miles back. My son and I drove out there a month ago and saw a Honda CRV- definitely not a high clearance vehicle. Yeah, some of the 12 miles are easier with one but...I've seen 2wd vehicles do much more than that road. You WILL NOT make it from the bridge level down to/up from the river level (the last 100 yards) with out high clearance and 4wd.

By the way, my 3 year old loved the place.
 

Attachments

·
windrider
Joined
·
177 Posts
what a [email protected]$$ I am sometimes...

bigrigmig said:
I just Google Earth-ed the lake neighborhood and found the FS road to Sheeps Bridge but I'm curious about how far that is. I've been to the bridge from the Seven Springs side but not your route. Have you got a mileage estimate?
I completely missed the picture with the mileage. Please disregard my inane inquiry.
 

·
windrider
Joined
·
177 Posts
Here we go...

skinny-tire said:
Which one?
Skinny-tire,

You are either being literal (which I doubt since you have most likely seen the picture with the mileage as well as my mileage inquiry) or you have dropped a quick little double entendre (which I suspect because it is in the nature of your historical record in this forum.)

If it is the former then you too missed the mileage sign and a quick look will correct this for you as it did me. If it is the latter then it is truly bad form to pile it on someone who has pointed out HIS OWN mistake in a self deprecating manner.

So did you overlook or are you a boor?

Oh wait. I just did another one that needed not be asked.

BRM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,211 Posts
bigrigmig said:
Skinny-tire,

You are either being literal (which I doubt since you have most likely seen the picture with the mileage as well as my mileage inquiry) or you have dropped a quick little double entendre (which I suspect because it is in the nature of your historical record in this forum.)

If it is the former then you too missed the mileage sign and a quick look will correct this for you as it did me. If it is the latter then it is truly bad form to pile it on someone who has pointed out HIS OWN mistake in a self deprecating manner.

So did you overlook or are you a boor?

Oh wait. I just did another one that needed not be asked.

BRM
How could I overlook your posts? I find them so "entertaining."
 

·
windrider
Joined
·
177 Posts
more questions than answers...

skinny-tire said:
How could I overlook your posts? I find them so "entertaining."
The use of quotation marks to imply irony is so 8th grade English. Or maybe I'm giving you too much credit. Nevertheless, I rarely miss your posts due to the overwhelming social redeeming value and constructive criticism that you continuously display. It is humbling to read them and feel the world become a better place by having partaken of them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,211 Posts
bigrigmig said:
The use of quotation marks to imply irony is so 8th grade English. Or maybe I'm giving you too much credit. Nevertheless, I rarely miss your posts due to the overwhelming social redeeming value and constructive criticism that you continuously display. It is humbling to read them and feel the world become a better place by having partaken of them.
My apologies. It's quite obvious you have thin skin. Please disregard my earlier post.

Stay postive brotherman!
 

·
windrider
Joined
·
177 Posts
skinny-tire said:
My apologies. It's quite obvious you have thin skin. Please disregard my earlier post.

Stay postive brotherman!
My repartee and banter here is not as a result of having "thin skin." It is an intellectual joust to which you invited me. Okay, if by not being able to resist the invitation, then yes, you may call me thin skinned. I will however, tell you that I am not.

Although we have totally hijacked this thread, I must say that I have enjoyed the exchange and hopefully someone else will have too. My apologies to jmole for the distraction.

I depart now to go meditate on brothermanly positiveness.

BRM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,211 Posts
bigrigmig said:
My repartee and banter here is not as a result of having "thin skin." It is an intellectual joust to which you invited me. Okay, if by not being able to resist the invitation, then yes, you may call me thin skinned. I will however, tell you that I am not.

Although we have totally hijacked this thread, I must say that I have enjoyed the exchange and hopefully someone else will have too. My apologies to jmole for the distraction.

I depart now to go meditate on brothermanly positiveness.

BRM
Your response reminds me of this time in school, back in the mid 90s, when I had this teacher who used to answer every question with a personal anecdote. But he very rarely, if ever, actually answered the question. He would get so far off track, that by the end of his little soliloquy, I, as well as most of my classmates, was more confused than ever.

Then, one day last year, I did a bike ride out at P and D, and was amazed at how clear my head was when I didn't' actually have to think about anything other than where the next turn would take me.
 

·
windrider
Joined
·
177 Posts
not sure but...

SlowbutSure said:
It would be wild to ride under the spillway with water going over it. I wonder when that last happened
SBS,

When I was on Google Earth I saw a picture taken from the vantage point you mention. Use the Fly To 'Horseshoe Lake, Az' function and click around the pictures and you'll find it. It would be cool (literally) to be under there.

BRM
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top