Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just moved here from charlotte nc and had to sell one car to get here. so, on off days my fiance uses the car. What I am wondering is are there any trails in riding distance from central phoenix ( 12th and e osborn). using canal trails or whatever? itching to hit the trails

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
noremedy said:
whats a good intro to the trails here? just looking for some basic fun flowing trails. I am rocking a giant anthem x2 with a 120mm fork and a 70mm stem with wide bars.
Trial and error. None of the trails in the Phoenix Mt. Preserve or extreme. Start at Dreamy Draw park, and ride.

·
Bloodied but Unbowed
1,498 Posts
IMO, Papago Park for mostly easier stuff, but still fun, and Phoenix Mountain Preserve (PMP) for everything from mild to wild.

South Mountain (SoMo) Desert Classic trail is a decent intro to what the valley has to offer on the not so gnarly but still majorly fun end of the spectrum.

·
Just another half mile...
1,092 Posts
Lots of great trails to explore in the Phoenix Moutain Preserves and are in riding distance. Basically ride east on Osborn and pick up the bike path along the east side of SR 51 and make your way north to the Dreamy Draw area of the preseves (Norther Ave and SR 51). Here is the county BIKE PATH MAP that will help you. Here is my TRAIL MAP of the preserves that will help you find your way. Lots of trails to explore from mild to wild. Basically the higher you climb up into the hills the more techncial they become. Staying low on Traill 100 and some of the other marked system trails would be good until you figure out the area, then go explore all the side trails.

noremedy said:
Just moved here from charlotte nc and had to sell one car to get here. so, on off days my fiance uses the car. What I am wondering is are there any trails in riding distance from central phoenix ( 12th and e osborn). using canal trails or whatever? itching to hit the trails

·
Registered
205 Posts
If you don't mind the street, 12st has a bike lane. You can ride 4.5 miles north to Northern then another mile to DD trail head. Once at DD trail head head east to start 1 of 50 different loops.

The bike path map Epicrider provided is a good resource for finding your way through town as safe as possible. (Remember this is Phoenix and it is Snow Bird season so keep you head up.) If you need a hard copy, most shops have them available.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ended up taking 18th to a connector trail to 100 rode for a bit came back down to the dd trail head followed the bike route to aunt chiladas or something like that had two coronas and something off there free buffet and pedaled back on home. completely different kind of trails then I am use to. Cant wait to get back out there and try it again.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Aunt Chilada's is great post ride grub! Welcome to the valley of the chunk! Phoenix Mountain Preserve is a great place to play, it's got something for everyone. See you out there!

·
Eroding into the trail
897 Posts
noremedy said:
ended up taking 18th to a connector trail to 100 rode for a bit came back down to the dd trail head followed the bike route to aunt chiladas or something like that had two coronas and something off there free buffet and pedaled back on home. completely different kind of trails then I am use to. Cant wait to get back out there and try it again.
Welcome to AZ. :)
Get yourself a sturdy comb and pliers (or a Leatherman tool) to rid yourself of cholla cacti if you become attached (good to carry in your camelback). Slime or homebrew your tubes or go tubeless to avoid the many punctures you will encounter. Lock up your bike w/a sturdy HD chain/lock & keep an eye on it (lots of opportunistic thieves out there). Lots of good places to eat and drink around the PMP trails. Canal bike paths are a good connector to Trailhheads. Carry you cell phone in case of emergency + an extra tube and a tire patch kit. Arizona has a lot of sharp rocks & the inevitable cactus needle puncture.
Have fun! :thumbsup:

·
wrecking crew
1,392 Posts
noremedy said:
completely different kind of trails then I am use to. Cant wait to get back out there and try it again.
AZ has some great stuff to offer. You will come to find that the trails around the valley differ quite a bit from each other in terrain and dirt/rock quality. 100's of miles of trail available all over the valley. Some less chunky than others, some flowy, some more techy, etc..etc. Go try them all out. You'll likely love them. They all have a tendency to make anyone a better rider.

• South Mountains (south) offering is quite a bit different from Phx Mtn Preserves (PMP/Dreamy Draw) and gives Super Fun DH and chunk of a different variety with decomposed granite boulders and big rock steps and such. Shuttles available on certain days. Alta is always a good time with plenty of exposure. Vast amount of trails in SoMo
• PMP (central) has lots of rock. Loose rock, splintered and shale-y at times yet miles and miles of trail with tech sections on the more obscure off the beaten path trails off T100. More short and techy ups but fun chunk available. All in the middle of Phx.
• Hawes (southeast) is much more flowy and is mainly decomposed granite base. More XCish with hints of tech.
• McDowells (east) is a mixture of all sorts of different stuff. Loose rock, flowy trail, long uphills, etc. Not particularly techy but lots of opportunity for long climbs. With the exception of Permberton (more flat XC course-zero tech) on the back side. Again, miles of trails in this big system.
• White Tank Mtns (west) (Hiking trails-not competition course) has lots of uphill leading to some really gnarly dh. Bring your climbing legs and armor.
• Cave Creek has some great trails of varying terrain. Off the beaten path stuff out in the northern sections.
• Deem Hills/T-Bird I haven't ridden but have trails out there with reports around about them.

A bit outside of town has offerings as well. Gold Canyon, Picketpost, Black Canyon Trail, Globe DH...etc..etc.

Go have fun...Hopefully, you like it all. :thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.