Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to be staying at Bass River Resort area in June and was wondering if it would be work bringing out bikes from Asheville, NC on our trip. I am in the early stages of researching and thought someone in that part of the country could help out. Would like to keep the drive less than an hour from Steeleville.

tx

Brian

·
Registered
203 Posts
There is the Berryman trail which is about 25+ miles of Singletrack. I have never ridden it but I have heard it is some of the best trails in Missouri.
Trails | Gateway Off-Road Cyclists
the trails listed under ozark should be in that area.
Springfield, MO has Two Rivers Mtn Bike park, and is about an 2 hours from Steelville.

·
Registered
69 Posts
We go floating at Bass River every year. I don;t know of any good trails near there, except the Ozark trails, down near Springfield MO which is 2 hrs away like slowpok92 stated.

·
Registered
106 Posts
With-out-a-doubt bring the bike. You'll regret it. The closest from Bass River would be Berryman Trail which is taken as a loop. A must ride. Plus it is even better for you because you can bike right from camp onto the Ozark Trail which is part of the Berryman Loop. Expect that to take you around 4 hours or more (unless you're hardcore fast), and generally with a group around 6 hours. It also fairly ridable after a rain due to its rocky terrain.

You can even take the Ozark Trail from Bass and head down towards Hazel Creek and beyond for an endless amount of miles, but that would be a bike/camp/bike thing. Check out the trip planner on the OT sight for mileage Ozark Trail Planner - Home. GORC's site has great maps as well Trails | Gateway Off-Road Cyclists.

If you want to drive then definitely hit Council Bluff as it is awesome along with the North/South Trace sections and Middle Fork. All of the are part of the OT except Council Bluff which goes around a massive lake, but the trail is connected to the OT. The other sections are taken as out and backs. And if gravel is your thing there is no shortage of fire roads.

·
Registered
213 Posts
You will be within an hour or so of arguably the three best trails in MO. Berryman, Council Bluffs and Middlefork.

·
mtbr member extraordinair
1,075 Posts
One of my favorite events every year, the BT Epic, starts and ends at Bass River resort. For sure, bring the bike. You should be able to look up the route online. You should also bring a GPS, and prepare for a 6-8 hr ride. BTW, your cell phone will NOT work out there unless you climb to to the top of the hills.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The Ozark trail goes right through Bass.

Maps here The Ozark Trail - Maps

You can literally ride 5 miles to the north of Bass and over 100 miles south of Bass just on the OT. Add the nearby Berryman and Council Bluffs lake trail and you have +/-150 miles of linked trail. Bass has started building trail at the resort. Ask about it. It's not much but it's something you can do right from camp

1 - 8 of 8 Posts