Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're thinking of heading up to Acadia National Park in August, and are looking for suggestions for some decent rides in the area. Intermediate level riding and nice view are a plus.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks.:)

·
Registered
359 Posts
The trails in Acadia itself are as lame as it gets, wide, flat, smoothly graded gravel. You could drive an 18 wheeler at 65mph on them. The good stuff is off limits to bikes but are great for hiking. We went a few years ago and were greatly bummed.

There might be some good stuff outside of Acadia in Bar Harbor or other towns. A visit to the local shops might answer that.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Well they are compacted gravel carriage trails, but flat? You must have just ridden around the ponds if you say that.

There are over 47 miles of carriage trails. They are easy to pedal, but you can get some decent cardio workouts on the climbs. The views are spectacular to say the least and I get the feeling that the previous poster is likely a kid who feels if there aren't jumps and drops then it isn't worth the ride. My wife and I ride many technical trails here in Maine, but we still love to go to Acadia and ride the carriage trails. Park at the Jordan Pond area. There are (if I remember correctly) 2 or three parking lots and you can get a map there. There's also a water fountain/restrooms/restaurant/gift shop. It's lots of fun and you'll see people riding bikes, walking, horseback riders and horse drawn carriages. When you see horses coming they'd appreciate it if you'd pull off to the side, dismount and wait till they go by as the horses can spook rather easily.

·
Registered
359 Posts
By flat I meant graded, yes there are some hills to get your pulse up and the views are spectacular. But she is looking for "intermediate" rides which suggests to me at least some slightly tech singletrack. If the carriage roads fit the bill then she'll be grinning from ear to ear :thumbsup:

Fred3 said:
"I get the feeling that the previous poster is likely a kid who feels if there aren't jumps and drops then it isn't worth the ride"

At 41 I'm hardly a kid :D But I was hoping for some nice XC singletrack and didn't find it hence the disappointment.

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,969 Posts
There is a four wheeler trail on the side of the road on 1A that I have been looking to explore. It has got to go somewhere. However, with Clifton only a 40min away, the greater Bangor area only an hour away, and Camden close, what does it matter? Go off the beaten path a bit and come up here. You won't be disappointed. 60 miles of singletrack is worth an hour drive... The carriage trails rock if you are looking to fly and cover a bunch of miles with some of the most breathtaking views you can imagine. I believe John Stamstead(sic) set the 24 mtn bike mileage record on those carriage trails.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.