Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow MTBers

I'm travelling to SF for a week in August and I'm after some info on trails to hit. I ride regularly here in Oz and just looking for places to ride as well as any bike shops where I could hire a bike :cool:

I'll be staying around the Lower Haight area but won't have access to a vehicle. So anything near that area would be great!

Cheers :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
There's tons of good mountain biking within 20-100 miles of SF. There are closer trails as well but if you are in the middle of the city without transportation then things could get complicated. I live 80 miles outside of SF, so can't give specific recommendations. But if you repost in the Norcal regional forum, I am sure that someone will come up with recommendations on where to ride and rent and how to get there.

If you are here for a full week then I'd recommend to at least rent a car over the weekend or so. Lots to see and do besides mountain biking.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
The good thing about SF is that public transportation is on every street, especially in the Haight. There aren't a lot of trails in SF, but you're not that far from Golden Gate Park. On days where I just don't feel like going anywhere, but want to ride, thats where I go. You can find a bunch of singletracks in there while still being near a street. But the good news is that the Lower Height has about 10 bike shops, most of them on Stanyan Street.

I would also check out Big Swingin Cycles. They're not in the Haight area, but they not only rent bikes, but give guided tours. Not sure how much that would cost, but you'll be renting a high end Giant, Yeti or Niner bikes. And they're not like other shops where they just throw you on a bike and you're on your way. They do the fitting and sag adjustment on the suspension so that you get the maximum pleasure riding their rentals. Big Swingin Cycles

If you do rent a bike in the Lower Haight area, just take a very short trip to Mount Sutro. You can probably walk there from the Haight, but its a popular spot for mountain bikers. Riding up then down would probably take an experienced rider about 1 hour or less, but its coming down is the fun part. My friends and I usually drive two cars and we just go down and shuttle back up for another run, then ride the streets back.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I would consider stopping in the Marin factory store...

1090 Folsom Street
SF 94103
415-934-8000

·
Registered
973 Posts
I love that place, but why would he want to go there? As far as I know, they don't rent bikes.
hey, I sorta missed your post...since you live there, I am sure your info you provided the OP is spot-on. The Marin store still would be a cool spot to visit as you eluded to :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
hey, I sorta missed your post...since you live there, I am sure your info you provided the OP is spot-on. The Marin store still would be a cool spot to visit as you eluded to :thumbsup:
Born and raised here in SF. I also work a few blocks away from the Marin store and fly by there once in awhile to check out the new Marin bikes that come in. They've also helped me out by providing me with a box to ship a bike to a friend once. The people there are awesome and top notch. IMO, anyone into biking should visit that store.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the info guys I will make sure I stop by the Marin store once I get to town. Wish I could bring Jekyll with me but looks like Marin have some sweet rides from the pics on their website.

Will post again closer to my trip in case anyones keen to hit the trails.

Cheers

·
Registered
973 Posts
Thanks for all the info guys I will make sure I stop by the Marin store once I get to town. Wish I could bring Jekyll with me but looks like Marin have some sweet rides from the pics on their website.

Will post again closer to my trip in case anyones keen to hit the trails.

Cheers
good deal...look forward to hearing/seeing about your trip...

·
gobsmacked
8,757 Posts
Don't let your bike out of your sight even securely locked outside at night or somewhere dark and quiet.... Tons of stolen bikes here.

You could also ride mclaren or across the bridge and into Marin. I would rent a car and make the drive to Santa Cruz or skeggs. Good luck and bring a sweatshirt if it's summer.

And it's not San Fran. :D

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Yeah, its Frisco.

Will you have a car, or will you be riding starting from city?

Close by stuff
Ride over golden gate bridge and up that big hill. All paved but beautiful ride and views.

Gg park single track. No climbing, but it's small enough you just ride in park and explore. No trail maps needed.

Mount sutro
Short little rides single track in there with some climbing.

30 min drive south
Water dog park. Gnarly single track with technical stuff. Highly recommended.

45 min drive north. Mount tamarancho. Like water dog but longer.

Nearby China camp,. Much easier single track. Good for beginners.

Check http://bayarearides.com. great site if riding with trail maps you can download in to your phone

1 - 14 of 14 Posts