Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im located in south brooklyn ( Ave Z ) where could i go for a ride thats not too intense ... i am in pretty good shape but dont have experience, i also cant afford to keep destroying and replacing bike parts cuz im a full time student.

?

thanx :)

·
Registered
428 Posts
androgen said:
Im located in south brooklyn ( Ave Z ) where could i go for a ride thats not too intense ... i am in pretty good shape but dont have experience, i also cant afford to keep destroying and replacing bike parts cuz im a full time student.

?

thanx :)
I used to live in BK up until last Sept. Unfortunately there are no real trails close by. I used to see some people in Prospect park but they are not real trails and I think illegal. If you have access to a car drive to Stillwell park in syossey long island , belt pwy to southern state to 135 north all th e way to end get off at Jericho tpk(25) east . go for 1/2 mile , parking lot is on left after big supermarket.

other options for beginners are Lewis Morris and Hartsthorne in NJ. that are close by.

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
If you say that you're lacking experience, I have a recommendation. Get you and your bike on the 6 train. Ride it north right to the very end, at the Pelham Bay Park stop.

From there, hop out and ride northward on Shore Road. You'll cross a bridge and when you come to an intersection with traffic lights, turn right. You'll know you're at the right place when you see a horse stable to your left. Follow the signs to Orchard Beach.

When you get to Orchard Beach, follow the dirt path and it'll lead you to the entrance of a nature trail. This nature trail is set on a hill - it covers the circumference of the peninsula, but also has tons of smaller trails leading to the middle of the peninsula which is the summit of this small hill. If you zigzag the trails, ride one way, then ride it backwards, you can squeeze about 5 miles of pretty easy riding there. The hill climbs are short and work well for training purposes without actually killing yourself.

Download this map that covers all the bike routes in the boroughs of NYC: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/pdf/2004bikemapfront.pdf

In the meantime, I've drawn you a map to take you from the subway stop to Orchard beach. Follow the purple route and you can't go wrong. When you're done, ride out to City Island for a few well-deserved beers, catch some sea breeze, then ride home.

Enjoy!

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.