Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations for rides in/near Johnson City, Elizebethton or Lake Watauga area? I'll be there for vacation soon and would like to explore a little. if I have to cross into NC, is there anything close in NC?

·
Registered
151 Posts
when you say "close"- what does that mean?

causes there is alot of great riding near Asheville NC and that's not too far of a drive from that area. Pisgah is worth checking out for a day.

·
...soon to be sith lord..
154 Posts
alefak, there is lots of riding in NETN.

Steele Creek Park, Bristol, TN - (a pedalfest/padburner) enough climbing to make you miserable, but enough fun stuff to make it worthwhile. There is about 9 miles of trail here.

Bays Mtn. Park, Kingsport, TN - mostly fireroads here with very little singletrack

Warrior's Path State Park, Kingsport, TN - these trails are some of the nicest and technical singletrack in the area. About 9 miles of it!

In Virginia not too far of a drive:

Iron Mtn., Damascus, VA - here you can do a 5 mile loop or a 40+ mile loop, depending on what you have to do that day. Some hike-a-bike sections, rolling sections and sick decents!

And of course NC is a short drive away as well:

Bent Creek
Dark Mountain
Dupont

You can go to www.ntmba.org and find some maps of a few of the local trails that you can download. While you're there, register on the forums. You may find a ride happening while you're in town, or if you want, post up when you're riding, someone will be sure to join you and show you around!

·
...soon to be sith lord..
154 Posts
If you want 30 miles at once, then Iron Mtn in Damascus is yer huckleberry. Damascus isn't far away from NETN, but you'll definitely want to pick up a Nat Geo map of the area at a bike shop or ride with someone who knows the area.

When are you planning on being in town? What town are you staying in?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ill be there from July 19th thru the 24th and staying on Watauga lake on the Butler side of the lake (north). I could definately use a guide if anyone happens to be planning a ride any of those days. I'll also check the NTMBA site for posted rides.

·
Registered
117 Posts
i grew up in elizabethton, about 15 minutes from where you will be staying. there is an excellent bike shop in hampton, tn, (hampton trails) which you will drive right by when heading up to the lake. their website is hamptontrails.com. the guys working there can tell you some closer rides in the national forest around the lake. you will also be fairly close to boone, north carolina. there are several good trails in the area. stop by magic cycles (downtown boone) or boone bike and touring (near appalachian state campus) for more info. i will be in johnson city this weekend and plan on riding somewhere, just don't know where yet (probably warriors path).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.