Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some buddies and I are planning to head up to Arcata this weekend, and we're looking for two days' worth of trails in the area.

Preference is for advanced cross-country singletrack... something along the lines of Demo, Tahoe Rim Trail, Downieville, South Yuba, etc. Don't mind an all-day epic... in fact, would probably prefer it.

Most of the trails we've found are either off-limits or heavy on the fire roads. But there's gotta be some singletrack somewhere!

Anybody got any info?

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
6,132 Posts
local hookup

nowakSHP said:
Some buddies and I are planning to head up to Arcata this weekend, and we're looking for two days' worth of trails in the area.

Preference is for advanced cross-country singletrack... something along the lines of Demo, Tahoe Rim Trail, Downieville, South Yuba, etc. Don't mind an all-day epic... in fact, would probably prefer it.

Most of the trails we've found are either off-limits or heavy on the fire roads. But there's gotta be some singletrack somewhere!

Anybody got any info?
Not a lot of Humboldt locals post on here. I know there is a ton of great trailage up there but it's all kept under wraps by the locals :)

·
Coors, the american beer.
3,533 Posts
the forest behind the school is pretty nice

i heard theres some sick trails on an indian reservation near hoopa but you gotta have a local show you those

also some sick **** near weaverville

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
I would stop in at Revolution bicycle repairs on G St.(main street in town, runs north to south, parallel to freeway) and be really nice to the guys there. They might be able to help you out. Revolution is kinda the hub of mtb in Arcata. Somebody, else mentioned the Community Forest which lies just west of town. It has some singletrack, but is mostly fireroad. Not the greatest place in the world, but not bad either. Some fun stuff if you know where to look. Another place to check out if you want to drive 45 minutes south is Humboldt Redwoods State Park. I know there is some legal singletrack there. Also ask the people at Revolution if they know of any trails out near Kneeland(about twenty minutes from Arcata).

·
Die trying, not watching.
120 Posts
Ossagon - Gold Bluff Loop

I took my son up to visit Humboldt State last September and we brought our bikes. We road a 19+ mile loop (some paved and dirt road, mostly singletrack) through redwoods, beach, and forest. Lots of Roosevelt Elk on the ride including one that blocked the trail causing us to wait for about 10 minutes. A beautiful ride, not very strenuous nor very technical, but definitely worth the trip. It is about 30-40 miles north of Arcata. The trailhead is from the Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park visitor center. I have a map and stuff. PM me if you are interested.

·
Snowjnky McDreamy
2,560 Posts
R U A Fan

of m.c. Escher? Because the trails in the Community Forrest seem like you are only going uphill
Grey Urban design Engineering Black-and-white Steeple

Don't get me wrong there is some singletrack that goes down, but all I can remember from 12 Hours of Humboldt is that I started from one spot and climbed for 40 minutesand then ended right where I started from.

But the scenery is nice and there is a cool little park that you can BBQ and drink some brews post ride. Plus it is right in town so you do not have far to go
Tree Woody plant Park Trunk Forest

·
Registered
439 Posts
Stop at Revolution. Look at the map on the wall. Spend some money. The really good stuff is kind of local knowledge - it took me awhile to find a lot of it when I moved up. Most of it is pretty sloppy (or under downed trees, we had a helluva storm earlier this year) right now, but there are plenty of places to go suffer. What direction you coming from? There are great rides that drain well on the way up along 36 and 299. IMBA is halfway done with some epic stuff out of Garberville, but right now it's an out/back. I think it's 10 miles out/back.

FWIW, in the summer I sometimes go 2 months without putting my bike on the car, riding (road and mountain) 4-6 days a week. Not Downieville or Santa Cruz, but there is good riding and it's getting better with the help of a lot of locals.

If you want epic this time of year, bring a road bike with some good, tough tires (or a cross bike) and take off with the morning rides out of Revolution or Adventures Edge. That's actually what most of the local mtbers are doing right now. Great folks doing epic loops: just don't be afraid of a lot of climbing, a little gravel road and be prepared to do upwards of 4 hours. My mtb is in pieces until later this month...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Tish Tang is the trail up near Hoopa. It is legal and fun, but almost an hours drive. If you ride up from the parking lot it is definately epic, but you can drive up most of the way and ride the last two miles of fire road to the trailhead. Revolution will probably give you directions and a map.
The trail in Kneeland is illegal. It could also be considered epic, especially if you ride up to the trailhead (on pavement). It's at least 5 miles of downhill. You'll probably have to pay someone off to tell you how to get there.
The community forest has a bit of good singletrack if you know where to look. There is also a huge jump trail through the disc golf course, if you're into that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.