Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Is it play time yet?
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I am spending the next week at Keystone resort. I am a cross country rider and I like to climb. My technical skills are solid, but I don't enjoy riding my 3" travel bike on DH specific runs. I have access to a car.

Are there any 10-20 mile rides I can do from the resort area? I hear the CO trail in near by. Any surrounding area rides considered a "must do" ?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Erik

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
A friend and I just tackled Keystone for the first time (in three years, at least - it's changed) on Friday, and we were itchin for a good climb and some downhill miles. We rode up from the medical center parking lot on Jackstraw road, which is a sick grind for the first half mile, so park further away and get a warm up before diving in. According to the map, it's a six mile clim, but we did it on our SSs in less than an hour, so the map might be off. Anyway, it's a good climb to start the ride with, and you could make a short or long day doing it two or three times. From the top, we took Mosquito Coast almost all the way down, and decended for longer than we climbed. There are some sick descents to be found, many of which are just fast and clean, and don't require full DH garb and guts. You'll be safe on any blue (or green) descent if you're even a reasonably competent descender. Some of the blacker stuff can be punishing, though!

Whatever you do, just pick up a free map - it's got parts of the surrounding area on it, and there's tons of riding to be found. We certainly would've explored it more if we weren't pressed for time last Friday.

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
maps maps maps

Yes, the Colorado Trail is up there. You can reach it from Keystone Gulch, but it does dump out towards Breckenridge. There are quite a few maps available for the area, you might want to pick one up if you're going to ride further away from the resort.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.