Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yet?! You say that like there are future plans for more free ride type stuff. If there are, I'll join CATA in a heartbeat and help champion that project! :p If you ask me, Mountain biking in Little Rock/Central Arkansas could really blow up if trail builders and LBS started catering to more than just XC riders. NW Arkansas is a prime example of what could be here in LR.

"If you build it, they will come"

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Steele501, I just moved here myself. I think the trails are fantastic. However, like you I'd love to see more jumps, drops and technical stuff. We should both join CATA. As I've been riding around I see all kinds of opportunity to build stuff. LIke ArkansasOutSide said if only XC members show up to build trails then guess what? Only XC trails will be built. Right?

Central Arkansas Trail Alliance - Home

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
True, the bones of it are still visible in the quarry at Burns Park and it probably wouldn't take much to bring it back. I don't know how much help the city of NLR would be, it's my understanding that they got burned on it before. Still, if funding could be found it would be a great space.

·
Registered
76 Posts
@ArkansasOutside - So you're saying there are future trail building opportunities that CATA is going to have a hand in and say so in development?

@otis24 - I'm in. I'm going to make it a point to make the next meeting and trail work day.

@THenne - I know there were a lot of different things that caused the Freeride project at Burns to fall apart, but my own personal opinion is that that group of guys took too much of an "us vs them (baggy shorts vs lycra)" and when their efforts fizzled out they had no support from the rest of the local mountain biking community to continue the project. They wanted to develop trails that were strictly going to please one segment of riders.

My vision is improving our current trails and making them appealing to every type of rider. From there, the sky is the limit! Especially if a new trail system were to get approved at some point. I'd love to see CATA be able to bring in someone like Progressive Trail Design and work some of their magic here in Little Rock!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I found the skills park the other day at Burns. It looks like it just needs to be ridden. I took a couple laps on it but I was on my cross bike so it was kinda slow. Burns is a short ride from my house and I enjoy the trails. The skills park may be small and run down but at least it's there. It's a start.

Anyway, where I used to live one of my favorite places to ride had both XC and free ride on the same trails. All you gotta do is build an XC trail and then along the way have a jump or drop off to the side. Trail work days consisted of spending most of the day reworking turns, clearing drainages and then a short time building jumps. Over the yeas they've created a nice collection of jumps from easy to kinda terrifying.

I found multiple places on Jackfork where if the trail were a couple feet to either side you could turn a boulder into a jump or drop. These weren't anything crazy...certainly something you could ride a hard tail on.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I found the skills park the other day at Burns. It looks like it just needs to be ridden. I took a couple laps on it but I was on my cross bike so it was kinda slow. Burns is a short ride from my house and I enjoy the trails. The skills park may be small and run down but at least it's there. It's a start.

Anyway, where I used to live one of my favorite places to ride had both XC and free ride on the same trails. All you gotta do is build an XC trail and then along the way have a jump or drop off to the side. Trail work days consisted of spending most of the day reworking turns, clearing drainages and then a short time building jumps. Over the yeas they've created a nice collection of jumps from easy to kinda terrifying.

I found multiple places on Jackfork where if the trail were a couple feet to either side you could turn a boulder into a jump or drop. These weren't anything crazy...certainly something you could ride a hard tail on.
This is exactly what I'm suggesting. Well marked alternate routes with jumps, drops, ladder bridges, etc on the trails that are already in place.

My biggest concern is how this would be received by the majority XC racing crowd in Little Rock. This type of trail works seems to work great in other parts of the country, including NW Arkansas. I can just see a couple of whiners complaining about people getting hurt and killing the fun though.

@ArkansasOutside - Has anything like this ever been discussed by the local group in Central Arkansas?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.