Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going to be spending a lot of time in the future in the beautiful Marble mountains, along the Klamath river. I'm staying in Orleans, CA, and am having a bugger of a time finding good trails nearby- everything is so damn rugged!

Does anyone with local experience have any wisdom about this area? I love technical singletrack, but i like being able to ride w/o hiking up nasty steep overgrown stuff. Anyone want a riding buddy? PM's are totally rad, too :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
You are talking about a very remote part of the state. Most people have no idea where the hell Orleans is, so don't expect much of a response on here. To answer your question though, I have heard of some trails closer to Hoopa/Willow Creek called "Tish Tang". I believe they are on a "don't ask-don't tell" policy. I have also read on here a while back about some DH trails around Hoopa. I'm sure you know that Hoopa is an "Indian" reservation so be resepctful and tread lightly. Make nice with the locals and I'm sure you will find what you are looking for. What brings you to that part of the state anyways? Incidentally, Orleans is where the very famous Bigfoot film footage was shot in the seventies.

·
Registered
439 Posts
No, this IS norcal

Not a lot of trails out there that I know of - I spoke with a Ranger out at Orleans and he was talking about a trail he was cleaning up every year. Call those guys (Orleans Ranger dist) for that info. Tish Tang is on the up-and-up, and will be restored by fall. The area burned around '01, then got taken over by motos, then a couple of spots got logged so the Humboldt contingent kind of lost interest. That was stupid - now we have to restore one of my favorite rides in the state. But it'll be back....

What you need is the six rivers national forest map, and a sense of adventure. You could have a ton of fun.

What you DO have is some of the best road riding in the state, sans traffic, on old Forest Service roads. You can go hours without seeing a car out there. The G-O road, forks of Salmon road, Ishy Pishy road, Fish Lake. Get a map and look at it, put your climbing legs on and do some exploring. Don't be afraid to explore, just let people know where you're going, and bring a water filter cuz there ain't no 7-11 out there. Gorgeous country...

·
ICPAYDIRT
111 Posts
Cook and Green, Perfect Cycling Trail

I am familiar with some trails up near Saied Valley, Ca that are a blast of smooth, winding, singletrack that rolls up and down through beautiful dense old growth wilderness. One such excellent trail is called the Cook and Green trail which is located near the CA/OR border. Another is the Portuguese Creek trail and of course the trail known as the "Perfect Cycling Trail". A good place to pick it up is at Glider Creek. This may all be too far north for you, you are in a location where most places take longer to get to driving along the 96 river road "highway". If your travels take you up there check it out. The Perfect Cycling Trail is in good shape for seeing such little traffic and clearly the best option for the kind of riding you're talking about. I heard there is very little enforcement in that area as well, just be respectful of the other trail users. Outside of that your best bet may be to call some of the bike shops in Arcata which I hear has some great riding through the Redwood forests. Hope this helps some. Cheers.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I rode the g-o road out and down the road past fish lake a few weeks ago- almost killed me! There's some good stuff i hiked (looking for bike-able trails) outside of Somes bar, but it went into Wilderness, and i absolutely wont ride in W. I talked to the folks at the ranger station, but they didn't seem terribly knowledgeable..maybe i spoke to the wrong people. Is the perfect cycling trail open to cyclists around here?

My mum is from orleans, and now my folks are building a house up there. Since I'm only marginally employed for the summer, it's a good place to be.

The more time i spend out here the more certain i am that there's gotta be some incredible trails... it's just so remote and so much land to explore!

·
ICPAYDIRT
111 Posts
No GPS?

The entire Perfect Cycling Trail is off limits to bikes but often you will find that there is little enforcement due to the vast land and lack of use. The trail crosses multiple jurisdictions and even sometimes private land so it's hard to say whose in charge. If you are really curious than call the local Ranger district for information but they will tell you the trail is off limits to bikers. After a good conversation with some rangers I've actually had them tell me that they don't mind mountain bikers and that they haven't seen any conflicts. My opinioin is that if you're respectful of the trail and other users it would be unlikely that you will find yourself in any trouble. That said, the trail is ridiculously fun to be on up there. The problem/beauty of that area is that there is not much in terms of population centers nearby so although there will be trails, they are not often well defined or disclosed. If you had a GPS you could start putting together your own trail ride to share with everyone else looking for a way around that place. That's the problem with Nor Cal, it has by far more potential than here in So Cal but the trail systems have not been developed for biking. Up there you have to know how to handle yourself in more remote locations, watch out for pot farmers, and don't get caught in the woods after dark! :) Good luck!

·
Registered
277 Posts
I worked in that area for several years doing foresty work and bird surveys. Tons of forest roads and 4X4 roads, of course. Get lots of maps, including wilderness maps.

Look into areas north off the highway - Clear Creek (west of highway) - I think there are trails at the end of the road that might eventually go into wilderness and a trail to Lower Bear Lake, which I remember NOT being in wilderness. Beautiful lake with lots of trout.:thumbsup:

There may be more trails at the southern end of Siskiyou Wilderness (SW) that you can ride before entering the SW.

Similiar situation out of Happy Camp, northwest of Happy Camp on the east side of SW near Preston Peak. Trails that eventually go into the wilderness. Beautiful up there. Raspberry Lake is spectacular.

Also look into the northwest corner of Trinity Alps wilderness out of Salmon River and the ridgeline east of Hoopa along the edge of the Alps. I remember trails before entering the wilderness.

Don't get too lonely out there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.