Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about riding my kids around town later today...I have generally used an old hardtail to do this but it has been so long that I think I have been spoiled by all my FS bikes. Is there any problem dragging 60 or 70 pounds in the Chariot 2 kid carrier on the Spot? I dont want to stress the suspension or frame unnaturally....I know the FS bikes tend to squat and unsquat while pedaling with a trailer, kinda like the freight train effect until you get going a little bit....Also, the Spot has good disc brakes which makes stopping with the extra weight a lot easier. Never seen anybody ask about this but figured it made a good question.....If I need a more heavy duty suspension, I could always opt for the RFX *grin*.....Thanks.

Greyeye
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,381 Posts
My boss, who co-owns the shop I work at, has been doing it literally every weekday for several years, and pedaling up one of the steeper hills in town. He is also an extremely anal person regarding his equipment, so if something were wrong, I think he would probably notice. Based on this experience I think you'll be fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply....Makes me feel better about it. Went ahead and used the RFX and everything went well.....Definetely makes the bike ride weird though....I wonder how much a trail-a-bike affects turning, accelerating, and bumps. One of mine is 3+ and have been thinking about doing the TAB thing....Thanks.

Greyeye
 

·
not so super...
Joined
·
11,466 Posts
Greyeye said:
Thanks for the reply....Makes me feel better about it. Went ahead and used the RFX and everything went well.....Definetely makes the bike ride weird though....I wonder how much a trail-a-bike affects turning, accelerating, and bumps. One of mine is 3+ and have been thinking about doing the TAB thing....Thanks.

Greyeye
The trail-a-bike is a great way to get the younger ones out on the trail. My 3 yr old went out for the first time a few weeks ago (check post here) and loved it. I used it for my oldest out at Yellow river back when the river-side trails still existed. There is a small learnig curve for the extended turning radius but a little time on a paved trail will help both of you get the hang of it.

I can let you borrow mine for a weekend if you want to check it out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your other post was actually the one that prompted me to ask more here. My oldest is three and she is pretty advanced/has good balance for her age. I was thinking that I would wait on the TAB till she was four but seeing you out there.....Plus, she gets bounced around a lot in the Chariot even with the suspension. We need to get together anyway for a Turner-fest here in GA...I want to see your 6-Pack (sounds really......pooftah)...Plus, since XC season started, the RFX hardly gets out anymore....If you are serious, I would love to borrow it....If you want to come down to PTC some time, there are tons of paved trail (40 plus miles I think) plus we could hit Line Creek which has some cool single track with lots o' rockyness.....Let me know....Thanks a lot...

Greyeye
 

·
not so super...
Joined
·
11,466 Posts
Greyeye - are you going to the Helen FTF (13,14,15)? I was thinking about taking the kids up there to do some camping and doing some trail riding.



Pooftah? WTF...You must have my Pack confused with BikeZilla's Spot:eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,955 Posts
Stop Now!

Greyeye, stop pulling your kid trailer _now_ with either the Spot or RFX!

For this type of duty, you need a much sturdier bike.

Like maybe a Truth!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SSINGA said:
Pooftah? WTF...You must have my Pack confused with BikeZilla's Spot:eek:
Hahahaha!! No, I meant me asking to see your 6-Pack.....As in asking to see what could be, as part of normal conversation, be part of another mans anatomy, felt knida poofta......Not the 6-Pack itself....DOH!! Sorry, no offense meant to your 6-Pack, I know it is orange (not that there would be anything wrong with a red poofta one)......

I will be up at the FTF on Sunday for the race. I will be running Sport but standing around a lot cheering on my teammates afterwards if you will still be in town......I am going to go pre-ride (translation : ride slowly on the trail for a while to get a feel for the lay of the land) Helen tonight if you want an excuse to get out on a bike....Let me know..

Greyeye
 

·
not so super...
Joined
·
11,466 Posts
Greyeye said:
Hahahaha!! No, I meant me asking to see your 6-Pack.....As in asking to see what could be, as part of normal conversation, be part of another mans anatomy, felt knida poofta......Not the 6-Pack itself....DOH!! Sorry, no offense meant to your 6-Pack, I know it is orange (not that there would be anything wrong with a red poofta one)......

I will be up at the FTF on Sunday for the race. I will be running Sport but standing around a lot cheering on my teammates afterwards if you will still be in town......I am going to go pre-ride (translation : ride slowly on the trail for a while to get a feel for the lay of the land) Helen tonight if you want an excuse to get out on a bike....Let me know..

Greyeye
Ohhhhh, got it now!

No riding this week until maybe Thursday night at Yellow River. Too much stuff going on. No racing for me - I didn't see a catagory for fat,slow guys on bikes that are too heavy with too much travel:D nor are there and DH events :( . We'll be there for the kids race but I don't know how long we'll stay after that.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top