Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I’m pretty new to the MTB world. Been riding with my 8 1/2 y/o on trails for about 1.5 years. We bike in Florida at Alafia and Santos mostly. No long climbs here but very quick punchy/steep climbs and fast. My boy has been doing mostly the blue singletrack trails with some easy blacks. Not big into jumping yet, although that may be due to his heavier Trek 20” Precaliber 7 speed, about 24lbs. He likes to think he gets air but doesn’t seem to leave the ground. We like to get out whenever we can but realistically with other sports it’s every few weeks that we get to hit the trails. Although we are starting to find the time more often.

He seems to really enjoy it and is starting to outgrow his 20”. He is on the smaller side, about 52” and 54lbs, inseam about 23”. I’ve been looking for his next bike. Would like something a little more trail capable since he has shown he likes the sport.

I’m currently between the Trailcraft Pineridge and the Woom Off Air 5. Both are very light bikes which I feel would be good for him due to his size. TC is 2x the cost. Definitely looks nice and haven’t read a single negative about it. What does this bike offer that would warrant us to get this bike based on the type of riding we are currently doing over the Woom Off Air?

Reviews seem high on both bikes. Is the TC more for the kid/family that is more into racing or very difficult terrain? Or for those of you that know the Alafia trail system outside of Tampa, would the TC be significantly better for him or the Woom? I don’t want to buy a bike that could be limiting in a year or so. MTB is not as popular in Florida, so I’m not sure how aggressive of trails kids are doing in other parts of the country. There are not many kids his age around here that I see out on the trails yet. Some, not much though.

I did see the Woom stand over height to be 24.5” at the bend (28” min saddle height). Seems like that bike is a bit bigger than the TC. Maybe that would benefit him longer down the road? Most reviews are positive on both bikes, any insight would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I can’t vouch for the Woom, but we’ve had the Pineridge 24, and now have the Timber 26 as of a couple weeks ago

The Pineridge is incredible…doesn’t need anything done to it…spec’d so well and is so light

I’m sure the Woom is good too…maybe it comes down to what’s available

I will say, my only experience is with the TC, they have incredible resale value…I sold mine for almost what I paid 2 hours after I listed it…something to think about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thanks for the input Nick! What are your thoughts on adding the carbon fork for $199 to save some weight? Helpful to the kids in your opinion?
we got the pro build on our Pineridge 24…at the time it came with the Carbon fork on that build…but, if it didn't, I'd probably upgrade to it…it's worth it for 200…it a great little fork, and anything to make it lighter is good thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
835 Posts
If you’re asking about a carbon fork, why not go with the Woom Off 5, with no susp fork? I
went that direction back in 2019 as the off wasn’t available. Worked out very well. Extremely light, good for learning skills and to pick good lines, great for the pump track and flow trails.
we just moved up to an XS 27.5 with a fork. She’s thrilled now that she can up her speed with the fork, but does comment that she misses the light weight of the Woom. There was nothing on the Woom that needed upgrading (but I did put a spare carbon bar on that I had lying around).

·
EDR
10,792 Posts
I had a Pineridge for my son. It's a great bike and kid ready, ~21lbs, light as heck. He had the First suspension fork and it actually worked well and was adjustable for kids his weight, that is unusual. That being said for half the price I'd not hesitate on the Woom. Kids outgrow bikes fast and if that bike is similar weight and has short crank arms and kid specific brake levers I'd be ok with it vs. the TC pesonally. I also wouldn't pay for a carbon fork, not seeing the benefit, the bike is super light already but hey, if money is no issue.....

TC does have fantastic resale. I purchased it used (it was maybe 2 years old) and we owned it for just over a year before selling for $100 more than we paid for it, pre-covid I could have got more $$$ easily based on the interest I got immediately after posting on Pinkbike, but I sold local to avoid shipping hassle as was willing to just dump it considering it cost me nothing to own. Great bike.

If the trails are smooth consider a Woom with a rigid fork to save weight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.