Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my dream bike around Thankgiving and want to add lighting. Anyone know of a dynohub that's durable enough for singetrack in northern CA? No crazy downhilling or jumping -- just trails and fire roads.
Thanks.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
The Schmidt is. The lower cost option is the Shimano 3D71 and the newer 3D72 that is available in 36 hole. I have three 3D71s and one 3D72. All have held up fine with my beatings. They have XT quality bearings. What are you going to do for a light? DIY?

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
shimano stuff is pretty bulletproof.

hoopdriver said:
Got my dream bike around Thankgiving and want to add lighting. Anyone know of a dynohub that's durable enough for singetrack in northern CA? No crazy downhilling or jumping -- just trails and fire roads.
Thanks.
... in general. I would think as long as you aren't doing multi-foot drops on a regular basis, it will hold up just fine.

Sounds fun. You gonna put some kind of charge regulator on it, power some LED lights? I would think Magicshines would be just the ticket. Crazy bright, low current draw... not much to break on it. I've been thinking of doing this myself for my city bike. I think I'm going to put a switch on the dyno end to cut hub drag when I don't need it, and so I can kick it back to generating power on the downhills.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now for the light....

Looks like the 3D72 is the way to go -- now for the light. DIY is _maybe_ an option as I'm pretty much electrically challenged.
I hear a lot about LumaTec and Schmidt lights -- any others I should check out?
The Magicshines look to be battery operated so not applicable to the dynohub -- or do they make a dyno light, too?
Thoughts?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts