Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Trail tools... Where do you get em?

55K views 65 replies 40 participants last post by  Intense rider 
#1 ·
Where do you get good trail tools such as a Mcleod type rake/hoe?... Trying to get some work done aroune here!

#11 ·
I prefer Corona McLeod over Nupla's since the head is way, way stronger. They are also have a better balance (with the wood handle) for day-long use. I get mine either from Forestry Suppliers (on sales) or directly from the manufacturer.

Nupla pulaski w/ fiberglass handle. You can have them via Fastenal, which have store virtually everywhere.

Council fire rake are another great tool, depending on your soil conditions. From Forestry Suppliers too.

Rogue hoe, directly from the manufacturer in the States, or I sell them in Canada.

Suunto clinometer are the reference. Can be found dirty cheap on eBay sometimes, or via Ben Meadows | Forestry Suppliers |*Dendrotik

GPS, we mostly use Garmin. The new 62 serie is more than enough for most trailwork. For more advanced stuff, Trimble is the reference.

Topo map source vary a lot by region. Locally, I use TopoNav maps at 1:20,000 based on the natural ressources ministry data. I know a lot of places in the States have free 1:50 to 1:12 maps available on the net.

GIS software:
- ArcView is the industry reference. If you're serious, you need to learn it.
- Quantum GIS is the free (open-source) equivalent of Arc, which is awesome but a bit more advanced than what most users will actually need
- Touratech QV6 is a great intermediate package
- Garmin MapSource is the entry-level package which can be pretty useful sometimes
- Google Earth Pro is a great tool

For bike park projects, many builders now use Google Sketch-It (Pro). Very easy to use and plenty powerful to give a good VIS of the project. Serious project still use Autocad since its the industry standard for technical drawing.

Specialized trailbuilding mechanized equipement:
- Sutter (or Sweco) trail dozer
- Singletrack SK240
- Rokon Trailbreaker is a 2WD off-road moto
- Canycom, Morooko, Kubota and Yanmar offer various size of tracked wheelbarrow up to full-on tracked transporter
- Ditch Witch (SK650, SK755), Bobcat (MT55) and Toro offer tracked tool carrier (think a walk-behind or stand-on Bobcat) that are great tool with a 6way blade or bucket attached to it
- DR Mower offer great ATV-towable brush cutter out of VT
- Helac have probably the best tilt-head for excavator on the market
- Engcon have probably the best roto-tilt head for excavator on the market

#54 ·
Metal vary from one batch of Rogue Hoe to another because it's recycled AG disc. Carbon content change a LOT from one batch to another. The tempering effect work on high carbon mix only. And usually, blue mean overheated and temper is affected so most of the time, the edge won't stay sharp as long and the metal get more brittle.

Before getting a grinder on that pulaski, I would suggest cold-forging the metal back into place with a hammer. Then you restore the edge with a grinder/mill/file or whatever you prefer. DON'T HEAT THE METAL. That's the key to keeping a strong edge. Also, don't over sharpen the edge like most people do : under 30deg and it's too thin.

#56 ·
Metal vary from one batch of Rogue Hoe to another because it's recycled AG disc. Carbon content change a LOT from one batch to another. The tempering effect work on high carbon mix only. And usually, blue mean overheated and temper is affected so most of the time, the edge won't stay sharp as long and the metal get more brittle.

Before getting a grinder on that pulaski, I would suggest cold-forging the metal back into place with a hammer. Then you restore the edge with a grinder/mill/file or whatever you prefer. DON'T HEAT THE METAL. That's the key to keeping a strong edge. Also, don't over sharpen the edge like most people do : under 30deg and it's too thin.
Perfect advice. If you use a 10" or 12" mill bastard file there are no worries about ruining the temper.

#65 ·
Where to get tools; if you are doing heavy rock work, one place to get a good tool is the local Sawmill. An eight foot 2x6 plank.

We built a bridge out of black locust 2 years ago. One of the 2x6's was culled and left by the side of the trail. It eventually got picked up one day and was used as lever. The additional leverage over a 5' pinch bar is dramatic. Rocks that seemed to be unmoveable without a grip hoist are suddenly kids play. The width of the plank also makes it more stable, its quite easy to sit on the end and hold something up.

Its not something that you would want to carry everywhere but if you are moving big rock its worth having a plank around.

In the picture below the weight of the board alone was enough to hold the slab up while I got trex/rollers under it. Having some 30" trex decking cutoffs is pretty handy also.

Attachments

#10 ·
ben meadows had rogue hoes on sale a month ago, I am guessing they will be back on sale soon. for me the nupla mcleod is the first necessity a bit heavier that rogue hoes but you need something out there for tamping and the curved, smaller head of the rogue, not going to do it.

#20 · (Edited)
I have bought my pick, shovel, and McLeod from Zac® Tools - "The Strongest Shovels on Earth". Their tools are tough - fiberglass handles with strong reinforcement to the actual tool/cutting edge. - Gus
The Zac round point shovel with an ash handle and sharpened edges is my favorite trail building tool for digging, cutting scrub oak roots, levering rocks. If you haven't used one you are in for a treat, there is no shovel like it that I know of. Be aware that the extra HD models are SUPER beefy and VERY heavy. I personally prefer the ash handles (better balance, lighter) but the super HD tools can definitely take more abuse. The HD bow rake is great for raking out a tread through small embedded rock fields, it's much beefier than a McLeod.

Best to buy in club quantities (over $250 our last order) from Zac Tools for reasonable shipping fees.

#22 ·
I second Zac Tools. (BuyZacTools.com)

The McLeod heads are well made and sturdy with no nut on the bottom, which allows for wet dirt to cling to & hampers packing. The fiber glass handles are solid yet light weight. The little black cap on the open end of the handle always comes off and eventually was lost. Without that cap, I have noticed the fiber glass cracking a little. It's a minor concern at this point, and I wear gloves when I work, so i'm not experiencing shards or slivers.

I just bought six of these McLeods, three square point wooden handled shovels, and two wooden handle pulaskis and received them in about week. They even included a seventh McLeod as a promotional item!

I haven't unwrapped them yet, as I'm having a shed built and will just take them in there to be stored.

As far as other tools, I do like the Rogue hoes by Pro Hoe and the 7" or 8" folding razor saw by Corona. The saw blade is a bit flimsy but cuts very well with little effort.

D

#23 ·
Cricket material handler

Product Standing Elbow Denim Cleanliness

These things have been invaluable for our latest project with 2 35' bridges. Sturdy, low center of gravity and narrow enough for most single track. Made moving 35' 6x18" glu-lams possible with relatively few people. Ours were provided by a volunteer who does HVAC work, if you ask around you might find one to borrow. Great for moving lumber and other heavy long things. We made a rack for it and put 25 or so wet roughcut 3x8 5' decking pieces on it.
Plant Plant community Soil Community Shrub

Wood Community Soil Lumber Cart

#43 ·
View attachment 801554

These things have been invaluable for our latest project with 2 35' bridges. Sturdy, low center of gravity and narrow enough for most single track. Made moving 35' 6x18" glu-lams possible with relatively few people. Ours were provided by a volunteer who does HVAC work, if you ask around you might find one to borrow. Great for moving lumber and other heavy long things. We made a rack for it and put 25 or so wet roughcut 3x8 5' decking pieces on it.
View attachment 801557

View attachment 801555
I know it's been a while but do you have a finished pic of this project? :p

#28 ·
For $100 I'd buy an axe/mattock a round mouth shovel, a bow saw and a leveling rake. That's cutting it close at $100.

For $200 I'd swap the rake for a Mcleod and spend the rest getting better versions of the cheaper tools I had to buy when I only had $100.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.