Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I <3 Dirt
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about $300 to spend and I can't decide between Trail Tech's dual 13w HID helmet kit (26w total) or the Light and Motion ARC NiMH. Battery run time isn't a big concern since I don't do long night rides. I'm just looking for the brightest light. Has anyone seen both of these first hand and have an opinion of the two?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Personally, I don't see the point in having more than one 13W hid unless you're running one on the bars and one on the helmet. Frankly, even that combo is overkill and too much light which is one of the main reasons I'm working on some LED lights that are smaller and lighter than my HID lights. I don't really need them to be quite as bright as a HID and would rather have less weight and size since I'll always use a bar / helmet combo.

For typical night rides, I use one 13 watt HID helmet light. There are 2 situations where I use both a bar and helmet HID.....24 hours races and long back country night rides. For races, having a bar light in addition to the helmet light gives better depth perception due to the shadows cast by the bar light; the resulting few % increase in speed matters in a race. For long back country rides and races, it's also to have a backup light.

So to answer your question, I think you need to decide if you really need 2 HID lights. I don't think you need it from a brightness point of view and I would never want the weight of two trailtech lights on my helmet. If you buy the dual head trailtech light and want to turn it into a bar and helmet light, you're going to have to do some re-wiring and good bit of work on mounts. You'll also really need 2 batteries. If you save some money and go with a single trailtech helmet light, most people aren't happy with the stock mount since they're designed for a motorcycle helmet and you'll probably have to do a little work in that area. Here's a thread with one option for a helmet mount.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=263948

So it really comes down to whether you want more of a DIY project or something designed specifically as a bike light and ready go out of the box.

·
I <3 Dirt
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MtbMacgyver said:
Personally, I don't see the point in having more than one 13W hid unless you're running one on the bars and one on the helmet. Frankly, even that combo is overkill and too much light which is one of the main reasons I'm working on some LED lights that are smaller and lighter than my HID lights. I don't really need them to be quite as bright as a HID and would rather have less weight and size since I'll always use a bar / helmet combo.

For typical night rides, I use one 13 watt HID helmet light. There are 2 situations where I use both a bar and helmet HID.....24 hours races and long back country night rides. For races, having a bar light in addition to the helmet light gives better depth perception due to the shadows cast by the bar light; the resulting few % increase in speed matters in a race. For long back country rides and races, it's also to have a backup light.

So to answer your question, I think you need to decide if you really need 2 HID lights. I don't think you need it from a brightness point of view and I would never want the weight of two trailtech lights on my helmet. If you buy the dual head trailtech light and want to turn it into a bar and helmet light, you're going to have to do some re-wiring and good bit of work on mounts. You'll also really need 2 batteries. If you save some money and go with a single trailtech helmet light, most people aren't happy with the stock mount since they're designed for a motorcycle helmet and you'll probably have to do a little work in that area. Here's a thread with one option for a helmet mount.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=263948

So it really comes down to whether you want more of a DIY project or something designed specifically as a bike light and ready go out of the box.
Thanks for the advice. I'm not one to complain about too much light, but I'd rather not wear my full face for XC or AM type night rides just so that I can bear the weight of two lights.

I'm looking for more of a plug and play light as I don't have the time nor do I want to spend the time modifying a light that I just purchased for $300. L&M may be the way to go. Everyone raves about the quality of the product and the customer support.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I don't think there heavy. Very bright. I race atv's and used them in a 12 hr race. 5th gear pinned at night no problems at all seeing. I can stand to loss a few pounds so the little bit extra weight no biggie to me. The main thing is how long will the battery last. Call them up and pick there brain. They will answer all your questions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.