Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my first attempt at getting suggestions didn't go too well so I thought I would try again. It's definite, 2 friends of mine and I will be heading to AZ next week.

I am trying to figure out what rides to do in AZ. We will primarily be in the Sedona/Flagstaff/Prescott area, although I read about some good rides around Payson and north of Phoenix. We will be in AZ for 4-5 days.

Rides I was definitely thinking of doing are
1. Oak Creek Canyon Trails (cathedral, bell, chicken point)
2. Walnut Canyon and Marshall Lake
3. Mount Elden trails (little bear, sunset, others)

Possibly ride Granite Basin area around Prescott

What do folks think? Does that sound like a plan? Any recommendations of other stuff we should ride, or not ride? Should we do something around Payson? or North of Phoenix?

And if anybody wants to hook for a ride let me know.

Thanks

·
Registered
676 Posts
PuraVida said:
Well my first attempt at getting suggestions didn't go too well so I thought I would try again. It's definite, 2 friends of mine and I will be heading to AZ next week.
Hi,

I'am curently on vacation from england and i'am currently based in flagstaff from my limited experience of the trails here (The ones i've ridden)

I'd say you must do the following ride - start at buffalo park, ride up lower oldham, then when you get to Mt Elden road spin up it right to the top , then ride down sunset trail (it was not marked when i was there a couple of days ago but you'll see it nice singletrack heading north, take sunset down though hobbit forest then down little bear, and then fly down what for me on this holiday has been the best xc downhill schultz creek, you could then use rocky rideg trails to connect back with the lower oldham trails. For me anyway that loop was great - see my trip reports for pics

Cant help with any other suggestions as i've yet to get to sedona

At the moment the trails seem to be in great condition - but its not warm , i wont be here next week i'am heading off to phoenix for some warmer riding

·
EDR
10,441 Posts
Spruce Mountain is just outside of Prescott. I really enjoyed this ride. Its a bear on the way up with all the switchbacks and logs and steep from what I remember, but....... once at the top (about 7500ft level) its wicked fast singletrack for miles. You must take this loop clockwise, the DH is much longer than the uphill, thats the cool part. This adventure will take an entire morning at least.

You park at the trailhead and take TR 307 loop, not the Groom Creek section if I remember right.

Check this site out and click on the map link.

http://www.2az.us/mtb-spruce-mtn.html

Its beautiful up there, about 1600 ft of elevation change I think and when you reach the top the treeline gives way to fantastic views. I suggest going if you guys are strong riders, and if not go anyways just be prepared to do some push'n, we did lots of it but the payoff was great! :D

·
I am Doctor Remulak
1,425 Posts
PuraVida said:

I am trying to figure out what rides to do in AZ. We will primarily be in the Sedona/Flagstaff/Prescott area, although I read about some good rides around Payson and north of Phoenix. We will be in AZ for 4-5 days.

Rides I was definitely thinking of doing are
1. Oak Creek Canyon Trails (cathedral, bell, chicken point)
2. Walnut Canyon and Marshall Lake
3. Mount Elden trails (little bear, sunset, others)

Possibly ride Granite Basin area around Prescott

What do folks think? Does that sound like a plan? Any recommendations of other stuff we should ride, or not ride? Should we do something around Payson? or North of Phoenix?

And if anybody wants to hook for a ride let me know.

Thanks
Don't take the collective indifference to your original post the wrong way, but we've had MANY discussions just like this one in the last couple of months. Have you searched this forum for ride recommenations?

Our moderator, Paul B, has written a book on AZ mountain biking. Check his signature for details.

If you haven't ridden in AZ before, you can't go wrong with rides 1 and 3 on your list. It's gonna be cold in Flagstaff and it might snow, so be prepared for the weather and to alter your plan if it gets ugly up there.

In another thread in the last month or so about Sedona, the classic Bell Rock, Submarine Rock etc loop is outlined. You can stop by the Bike n Bean in the Village of Oak Creek for some good coffee and trail recommendations.

Granite Basin in Prescott is a fun place to ride although there's not much in the way of technical riding there. I think the GB trails were made for singlespeeding, fast and flowy without too much climbing.

Have fun and you better post some pics from your trip here.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,875 Posts
AZ Mikey said:
Granite Basin in Prescott is a fun place to ride although there's not much in the way of technical riding there. I think the GB trails were made for singlespeeding, fast and flowy without too much climbing.
If you ride the correct trails, there's as much technical in GB as anywhere else in prescott.

·
NedwannaB
12,791 Posts
What?.......

AZ Mikey said:
.....SS riders can't climb?? :rolleyes:

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,875 Posts
Doesn't do any good. I've done plenty of 3-page dissertations on the trails in granite basin. Not in the mood for anymore. I can't gaurentee that I'll be around this weekend to guide a ride (which I usually do fairly frequently).

It's probably archived, there are some new additions, but it doesn't do much good for me to try and explain it all without a map of the trails.

Check this site for trails around prescott, good info and great to explore. http://www.sharlot.org/archives/maps/trailmaps/

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
Although not in the areas you are planning to ride, the National trail in Phoenix was rated as one of the ten best trails in the U.S. by Bike magazine. You may want to check it out.

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,440 Posts
As AZ Mikey said, this topic has been covered a lot recently, search terms should include: "Flagstaff", "Sedona", "best", and "trails".

Regarding the specific trails you mentioned, Walnut Canyon is kinda boring, I wouldn't bother considering the fine trails up in the Dry Lake Hills and on Mt. Elden. And as for the AZ trail to Marshall Lake, you couldn't pay me to ride that pot-holed nightmare of a trail again. Avoid it.

·
It rains here. :(
1,314 Posts
PuraVida said:
sorry to beat the topic to death.
Not even.

Anyways, why would you want to freeze riding Flagstaff and Prescott? Go do Sedona then zip down to Phoenix and Tucson for warm weather riding. Doesn't 72 degrees sound good?

Unless of course you are limited as to the locations you can travel to, in which case I can't help you because I've never ridden outside of the Phoenix area.

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,440 Posts
rockman said:
Actually I guess I was thinking more about the stretch from Marshall Lake to Ashurst Lake.
I've never ridden that section, but I've heard it's almost as bad as those last couple miles leading up to Marshall lake from Walnut Canyon.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.