Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
I've had a Pliny
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a ski (and I use that term loosely) lease in Tahoe City this season and, barring any late season dumps, it looks like it's going to be a mtn bike lease for the remainder of the season. Mother Nature, you are one fickle little #)%^$.

So, embarrassed to say, I haven't ridden north Tahoe in quite some time. Any suggestions and trail reports? I'll have my 12 year-old son in tow. He's a fairly strong rider and enjoys the technical - although he is on a hardtail and hasn't really experienced real Sierra babyheads yet.

Thanks in advance for any 411.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sawtooth condition is good today. Only a few ice spots. Easy ride without much climb. Some rocks but easily manageable on HT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Custom User Title
7,429 Posts
Many trails at Tahoe Donner are about to be free of snow. But kind of muddy right now. Map: https://i61.tinypic.com/9qdx5s.png

I took my studded tire bike back home yesterday. No chance to use it on roads there this season. Need to get a proper fat bike for the next season.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I rode Lloyds on Friday, out by Prosser Dam, it was in about the best condition I've ever ridden it.

I just got back from riding Emigrant up towards Tahoe Donner and up a bit of The Animal. Just a bit of snow along Alder Creek on the way up.

Yesterday we rode Galena Creek up to Dry Pond down near Reno. It was very good!
http://www.greatbasinbicycles.com/s...s/Dry Pond - Thomas - Whites Creek Trail.pdf

Peavine trails should be pretty good too.

·
Custom User Title
7,429 Posts
Wow, didn't realize Tahoe Donner had that much riding. Makes sense though.

Thanks for the feedback.
Perimeter trail is a good loop, even some technical bits. It may be ridable soon. There is a bunch of unidentified single track near Prosser hill. Hidden Gem trail is a very nice downhill, but it is full of snow on that side.

Some bits look more like this so far:

IMG_0302 copy.jpg

·
I've had a Pliny
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We're at Rocky Ridge in Tahoe City - next to Burton Creek SP. Would that section of Tahoe Rim trail be fun? Looks like most of it is south-facing. Might be clear by now.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Considering the lack of white stuff, I would assume Burton Creek and the XC center are generally doable. I bet the sections of TRT out of TC above the truckee river canyon are mostly open too. Let us know how it goes.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,128 Posts
HITG: hole in the ground. Last trail to open in Truckee, and the first that everyone wants to know about. Sort if a running joke here.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
I've had a Pliny
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HITG: hole in the ground. Last trail to open in Truckee, and the first that everyone wants to know about. Sort if a running joke here.
Oh, Hole In The Ground. I should have gotten that - it was late for me.

Thanks for all the feedback! Looking forward to getting back up there - never a dull moment riding there.

·
Rubber side down
124 Posts

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
....and possibly the most over hyped/rated trail in this area. Oh, I guess I should add JMO.

·
Registered
280 Posts
lower Jack Ass Ridge is open and all of JP's in Coldstream Canyon is riding real nice. I tried doing a short section of Yogi but it is still under about 6" of snow. Made it up 3/4 of the way on Shaffer's Creek and hit the steady snow pack. Sawtooth, Two Beavers, Twin Bridges are clear and fun. Skiing morning and riding afternoon has been the order of the day lately.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,128 Posts
lower Jack Ass Ridge is open and all of JP's in Coldstream Canyon is riding real nice. I tried doing a short section of Yogi but it is still under about 6" of snow. Made it up 3/4 of the way on Shaffer's Creek and hit the steady snow pack. Sawtooth, Two Beavers, Twin Bridges are clear and fun. Skiing morning and riding afternoon has been the order of the day lately.
Short of a big storm, it sounds like most trails will be open by mid April. Can't wait.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts