Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on a kick to run all the NorCal trails that I've loved mountain biking for the past 20 years. Yesterday's adventure was in Purisima Redwoods Open Space Preserve. It was *gorgeous*... dare I say better on foot than on a mountain bike. Zero fog meant amazing views but pretty warm temperatures.

It's crazy how steep some of the fireroads are in MidPen. I assume they are a legacy of the logging operations from way back. I prefer to run up these than down them, as they are so steep, they do a number on your legs.

Next week, I'll run El Corte de Madera (Resolution, Leaf etc.).

·
Thread Killa
357 Posts
Your doing it wrong... :nono:
I ran most of the trails that I now bike. Ruined my legs running them. Got smart and now ride them although I still haven't gotten my bike endurance up where my running endurance was.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Memine,
I like to mix it up and run too, and am on a running kick. It's less stuff and maybe a bit more wild and primal. Or something like that.
An interesting tidbit I thought...
A buddy that runs a lot wanted to illustrate to me that running and riding are similar speeds over a certain distance. He runs 6-7 minute miles. Although we were going at wildly different speeds for the short run, we arrived at the end of FHDL at a similar time. It was not a race and neither of us were drilling it, and we were even chatting it up at times.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He runs 6-7 minute miles. Although we were going at wildly different speeds for the short run, we arrived at the end of FHDL at a similar time.
John, your friend must be crazy fast on foot! I'm closer to 9m/m on trail runs. FHDL is a great run though. I want to hit some of the Truckee area stuff soon.

Whitewater, I ramped myself up super slowly (like 7 months) to acclimate my body to running. I started in September by literally running 10 minutes at a time. No injuries to report thus far and I am absolutely loving it! But I know everyone's body is different.

·
Custom User Title
7,429 Posts
I started doing orienteering runs for the last couple years. Much more fun than just trails, and not as repetitive on knees. Go to Schedule/2014/Harvey Bear - BAOC on Sunday, try "orange" or "brown" course to start, they have clinics for beginners in the morning to help with map reading. I did check the "blue" and "red" courses helping out to set them, they may be a bit frustrating in navigation difficulty. Just need full coverage pants/tights and sturdy shoes, preferably with gaiters- some avoidable poison oak and a bit of thistle.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I'm a top local ultra runner and I swear I could place mid pack at the SoNoMas Mtb race on foot. I was tempted to ditch the bike one year at the starting line and just go for it but the idea of getting run over on the DH's didn't sound very fun:prft:

The areas that pop into my mind for both sports are
foresthill culvert + divide loop
Santa Cruz
Boggs
South Lake Tahoe TRT and Armstrong + just about everything else
Maybe skeggs if you want to go steep

For what your doing it helps to be able to cover at least 25-30 miles self sustained, it really opens your options.

One thing that really bugged me while running the foresthill area was how initially apologetic ever MTBer I came across was before I could even say Hi. I ran against the normal flow so I could see the speed demons coming but as soon as they would appear they'd slop and start spouting "sorry" like they were doing something wrong:confused: it kinda made them look guilty. I just told them don't worry I'm a rider so carry on and have fun.

I know the hikers are generally a lost cause but do the MTBers get much lip from the runners? Of the hundreds of runners I've met over the years I can count the ones that don't like MTBers on one hand.

I came across a group of 5 MTBer riding an off limits single track in Woodside while I was leading a 50k race. I told them I didn't care but suggested they turn around and ride off ahead off me because the 200 other runners may not be so understanding. They were cool and I kept chasing them the next 5 miles while poking fun at them because they couldn't drop me

·
Custom User Title
7,429 Posts
Very cool! Thanks for sharing. I'll check out this. I love mixing up my trail experiences.
If you want to start, I will be going Sunday morning (after Boggs on Saturday) with my daughter to teach her. Nothing helps to get up to speed as walking the course and somebody pointing out how to read map, topographic features in particular.

My favorite discipline though are "rogaines", where you navigate to as many points as you can in given time, like 6 or 8 hours, usually over some interesting offroad terrain,. Couple I have done recently: terraloco: 02/22 Valley of Fire and Get Lost!! Running, Racing Maps there had been not up to orienteering standards, but that is part of fun. I am very slow, but on rough terrain do ok.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For what your doing it helps to be able to cover at least 25-30 miles self sustained, it really opens your options.
This is really the capability I want to get to, but as I mentioned earlier, I am ramping up very slowly so to avoid injury. But yeah, the adventures seem more appealing once that distance is doable.

·
Registered
665 Posts
If you want to start, I will be going Sunday morning (after Boggs on Saturday) with my daughter to teach her. Nothing helps to get up to speed as walking the course and somebody pointing out how to read map, topographic features in particular.

My favorite discipline though are "rogaines", where you navigate to as many points as you can in given time, like 6 or 8 hours, usually over some interesting offroad terrain,. Couple I have done recently: terraloco: 02/22 Valley of Fire and Get Lost!! Running, Racing Maps there had been not up to orienteering standards, but that is part of fun. I am very slow, but on rough terrain do ok.
You realize Boggs is still racing on Sunday right? Although on more limited trails it's the DH race so everyone's going to be going full tilt.

·
Custom User Title
7,429 Posts
You realize Boggs is still racing on Sunday right? Although on more limited trails it's the DH race so everyone's going to be going full tilt.
Well, I will be at Coyote Lake after 8hr. Full tilt is not about me. ;) I am there for the scenery.

There are some fast people in the orienteering club there too. Young gentleman who was setting the course at HB is number one rated runner on US youth team for this year Worlds - quite interesting to see how fast he can haul ass over offroad.. while not getting lost.

·
Thread Killa
357 Posts
A 6 min mile = 10MPH, if he can maintain that on trails for more than 5 to 10 miles he is a very strong runner indeed! elitish level even. Last time I rode FHDL and surrounding area I rode 18 miles at about a 10MPH pace so that would make sense but that's ridiculously fast for a runner.

For comparison sake, when I was running, I would do the same 18 miles at around 10 min/mile which isn't slow for that type of running but it also didn't win me many races. :mad:

6 min mile (10mph) x 18 miles = 108 min
7 min mile (8.6mph) x 18 miles = 136 min
10 min mile (6mph) x 18 miles = 180 min which would allow the 6 min mile guy to already have a few beers in his belly by the time I reached the finish line.

Memine,
I like to mix it up and run too, and am on a running kick. It's less stuff and maybe a bit more wild and primal. Or something like that.
An interesting tidbit I thought...
A buddy that runs a lot wanted to illustrate to me that running and riding are similar speeds over a certain distance. He runs 6-7 minute miles. Although we were going at wildly different speeds for the short run, we arrived at the end of FHDL at a similar time. It was not a race and neither of us were drilling it, and we were even chatting it up at times.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Oh I should clarify. He is a 6-7 minute mile runner, and does pretty well racing. When we went it was at a chatty pace for both of us, not at his race pace. Whe would converse in places, then we would split up, then catch up. What surprised me is how fast he could run downhill. A lot faster than me. I've truthed this elsewhere; 8-9 minute miles are still in the speed range of mountain bikers...

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As with mountain bikers, trail running speed varies a lot with terrain. Yesterday's miles were between 7:15 and 12:30 for me, but that included some climbs that would be difficult on even a geared bike.

·
mtb'er
4,202 Posts
I was a lifelong runner before I discovered mt. biking. Once I "discovered" MTB (officially 1991), I didn't run for at least 3 years. I never got back from a run thinking "Holy sh!t! That was awesome! Let's do it again!" I ran to get it over with. Not so much with biking.

All these years later, I still add a run in now and then... usually when I only have 30-45 minutes to rip.... but I prefer to run trails I can't bike on.

Glad to see you're enjoying running though, JG! Cross training is great... and as RojoRacing expressed, it also gives you perspective of how dominating MTB can be/feel to hikers and runners.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
it also gives you perspective of how dominating MTB can be/feel to hikers and runners.
This is certainly true, though 99% of all the cyclists I meet are very congenial and accommodating on the trail. I like to surprise them by making a quick comment on their components or bikes :)

Time for me to get in some saddle time though, as the Big Brothers/Big Sisters ride is coming up. I threatened to ride it on a SS, but my legs have been off the bike a lot.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I was runnner first, then all riding and no running for a number of years cause of injuries. Now back to mixing them both up pretty well over last 6 months. I freaking love both sports, a lot, although much less interested in run racing and like to race bikes a lot, for some reason.

Anyways, you should check out Mt Tam if you have occasion to be in Marin. The trail running on the Mt is insanely good. Miles and miles of technical singletrack in and out of different topographies and you can string together a lot of miles without too much climbing if you are so inclined. Really great stuff! Happy to help with trail suggestions if ever interested.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
18,683 Posts
So, ahh, ahem, no one's into skateboarding, are they?

·
Formerly dvo
2,102 Posts
I've been skating for 35+ years, not as much since I broke my ankle a few years back but it's my first love.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts