Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trail runner found by search & rescue after missing for two days in plummeting temps

Just a shout out to our local seach and rescue for saving one of our fellow outdoor activists. This is way to close to that story on SoCal several weeks ago that didn't have such a happy ending. Stay safe my friends wether on your Mtb or trail shoes.
Rescuers find missing Modesto runner alive in Placer County | Local News - Home

·
Registered
59 Posts
Bob's a close friend and co-worker of mine. Everyone here (at his work) is ecstatic to hear he was found alive and well!

Anyway, on Sunday, he was doing a training run on a part of the Western States trail near the town of Foresthill in preparation for the Western States 100, a 100-mile run (!) that starts at Squaw and ends in Auburn. He was with seven other runners. They split into two groups, a faster group and a slower group. Initially, Bob was part of the slower group but decided to run-ahead to join the faster group. When the groups re-convened, Bob wasn't there. This was on Sunday, around 9 or 10 in the morning and he wasn't found until today, around noon. There was snow on the ground when the started their run. Sunday night was cold, rainy, and windy and last night, the region got a lot of snow. Temperatures were in the 30s.

No news outlets have released details on what caused him to get lost and no-one here has spoken with him as of yet. I assume that he was somehow injured and fell off the trail. Around 1 PM today, he was being taken by ambulance to a hospital. There's video out there of him being loaded into an ambulance with a smile on his face, thanking his rescuers.

·
I dig trails!
5,611 Posts
Terrible article, its a shame how lazy in addition to evil our media has become. So what happened?
That article was posted minutes after he was found. A LOT of people are thankful for the rapid good news, and are ok with lack of details due to tight timeline.

You, however, have offered zero information. How lazy, in addition to evil. Your media commentary is not appreciated in this thread. And a quick Google search turns up...

"I know he's talking," said Dena Erwin, a spokeswoman for the department.

The same adverse weather conditions that hampered the search also means a helicopter cannot be used to transport him to an area hospital, Erwin said.

She said Root was found 2.5 miles from the Michigan Bluff trail head, but little other information was immediately available.

Read more here: Runner missing since Sunday in snowy Placer County is found alive - Crime - Sacto 911 - The Sacramento Bee

P

·
Master of the Face Plant
2,901 Posts
Terrible article, its a shame how lazy in addition to evil our media has become. So what happened?
I guess you missed the part at the bottom of the article where it said it was a "developing" story. They tend to do that when people are anxiously awaiting updates but they don't yet have all the details.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Glad he was found today, I've been worried since news of his disappearance. Saw a bunch of those runners on Sunday as they were finishing up in town. It's been cold here in Foresthill and I can't imagine how much it must have sucked to be out for two nights in the minimal amount of clothing he had.
Perhaps he did have more than was reported( shorts and a light jacket).
Can't for the life of me figure out where he went wrong, it's pretty much a one trail deal anywhere around Michigan Bluff, or at least the alternate trails all lead to dead ends or to Michigan Bluff eventually. Maybe he was on the Deadwood side and headed down one of the moto trails?
Anyways, glad for a happy ending to this. I was not so sure it would turn out this way this morning.
Placer County Search and Rescue Rocks!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hard to believe an ultra runner could get so lost that area that they couldn't just backtrack or walk in one direction till they hit a fire road or trail, he sould have known NW he'd eventually hit hwy 80. I mean most ultra runners even on totally empty can travel quite the distance in a day. But then again I wasn't there so you never know how it all played out in person.

Once I was with a group of 5 hikers just going for a quick 20 miles but when the trail disappeared on us because of a forest fire and years of unuse we trudged on hoping we would find it again. This was 15mile into the bike so we didn't want to go back 15 miles because we figured we'd find the trail just over the next ridge. After a few hours of bush wacking the 4 others really started getting worried so we stopped looking for the trail and I told them keep walking toward the setting sun. I knew camp was west of us and there was a large lake next to it. After a few more hours we found the lake and walked around till we got to camp. The 4 other said they didn't know how much further they could keep walking and thought we have to spend the night. I honestly wasn't worried because I could have walked all night till morning with just the water I had on me.

Everyone's got different limits and survival instincts but we should all try and take a few step of preventative safety for when I may not make it back when we have planned.

I would also assume a runner, dirt biker could get lost much easier then a MTBer because the runners and dirt riders can more conveniently XC without much or any trail so backtracking can be hard it there's nothing to follow. MTBers on the other hand normally stick to some kind of defined trail so there's always something to follow back.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
In the SacBee story, Bob mentioned that the scenery looked very different because of recent trailwork and wildfire. I can see how this would prove to be very confusing, especially if the wildfire changed the entire landscape.

·
Custom User Title
7,430 Posts
Trail runner found by search & rescue after missing for two days in plummetin...

In the SacBee story, Bob mentioned that the scenery looked very different because of recent trailwork and wildfire. I can see how this would prove to be very confusing, especially if the wildfire changed the entire landscape.
Come join your local orienteering club and do a few longer distance runs. Interesting how your perspective changes once you start navigating off trails.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.