Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I happened to stumble across a DH trail near my house, but only about 30% of it is weed-free and functional. I can see berms and gaps rising up from the underbrush, but it's extremely thick in some areas and in others there are only light weeds along the trail. Are there effective ways for removing brush other than simply removing it by hand?
Thanks,
Jamison

·
Go SOLAR...
1,077 Posts
I'm in the same boat here in Texas found a lake trail that had been neglected for years. Buy yourself a gas trimmer and hedge trimmer attachment....poulan pro or ryobi for example allows for diff attachments.
Get out there and start cutting and trimming....it's very hard work, but worth it.
I bought a little trailer with air tires at tractor supply to haul everything to and from...it's crude but works.
More people ought to thank the guys that actually build and maintain trails.....you'll understand once you get out there and start.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well thanks for the advice, and I definitely know what you mean. Yesterday I was building a berm and couldn't get one good shovel in without hitting a rock. Took me 3 hours just to build a four foot long berm thats only a foot high.

·
Go SOLAR...
1,077 Posts
I have been on foot for a few months now...haven't even ridden the bike. I tried to carry tools on the bike and it was a nightmare...just like you experienced.

Get some sort of trailer, wagon..it will make it much more enjoyable

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It isn't completely abandoned, just the parts that kids on BMX bikes could do (5' gaps and such) are kept weed free and used. The parts that are nicer (10'-20' gaps, drops, rock gardens) are overgrown and not used. I'm just guessing that is because most of the people who DH in my town have stopped downhilling or moved. Right now I only know of one other person that lives locally and downhills in many of the spots I do.

·
Go big....Die young
52 Posts
JamisonW said:
I happened to stumble across a DH trail near my house, but only about 30% of it is weed-free and functional. I can see berms and gaps rising up from the underbrush, but it's extremely thick in some areas and in others there are only light weeds along the trail. Are there effective ways for removing brush other than simply removing it by hand?
Thanks,
Jamison
Are you talking about the trail im thinking about???? If so i want to help and i think i have a couple more.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hahaha what trail are you thinking about? There's two in my area that need some help. There's one right next to silverset park, and then there's one behind hileary park on that hill. Haha dude PM me if you wanna go riding sometime.
Jamison

·
Registered
264 Posts
Anytime you think that building is tough, just remember there are others out there digging through giant rocks to try to find the dirt too. Including myself. My shoulders and back hurt quite a bit on any given day thanks to the tree roots and my trusty old shovel.

·
Go SOLAR...
1,077 Posts
Calles said:
Anytime you think that building is tough, just remember there are others out there digging through giant rocks to try to find the dirt too. Including myself. My shoulders and back hurt quite a bit on any given day thanks to the tree roots and my trusty old shovel.
And it's a shame more people don't help.....trails wouldn't be there if it wasn't for guys like you.

·
Go big....Die young
52 Posts
Im gonna invest some man hours on my local trails and im not looking foward to it. But if i dont there will be nothing left for us to ride blah here i come TW. So if anyone is in San Diego and ride TW give mea hand and in the long run TW will remain the best DH trail in SD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.