Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Afternoon,

Heading down on a work trip and bringing my bike next week. Coming from rooty, rocky New Hampshire. Will have a day in Newark Delaware, a day in Baltimore Md, and a few days near Winchester Virginia. What would you recommend. Prefer wheels on the ground riding, okay with roll overs. The only time i am in the air is by accident and it usually doesn't end well. Riding will be after work so usually 2 hours or less with the exception of the Winchester stuff which will be weekend.

Thanks!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Good Afternoon,

Heading down on a work trip and bringing my bike next week. Coming from rooty, rocky New Hampshire. Will have a day in Newark Delaware, a day in Baltimore Md, and a few days near Winchester Virginia. What would you recommend. Prefer wheels on the ground riding, okay with roll overs. The only time i am in the air is by accident and it usually doesn't end well. Riding will be after work so usually 2 hours or less with the exception of the Winchester stuff which will be weekend.

Thanks!
Patapsco Valley State Park has a ton of trails that are pretty much XC.

On the way out to Winchester, you'll pass the Frederick Watershed and Greenbrier State Park, both near Frederick, MD. Watershed is definitely better riding, but make sure you have trail forks and avoid the steeper stuff. Either one will be plenty rocky for you.

Down near Winchester you're pretty close to Elizabeth Furnace...I can't really comment on what the trails are like there though... it's been a decade since I've been there. If you can swing the ride Massanutten's western slope is about an hour, maybe slightly more, from Winchester. Rooty and rocky there for sure. You do need a trail pass there...I think you can purchase from your phone.

I'm not really familiar with Delaware.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
264 Posts
Patapsco Valley State Park has a ton of trails that are pretty much XC.

On the way out to Winchester, you'll pass the Frederick Watershed and Greenbrier State Park, both near Frederick, MD. Watershed is definitely better riding, but make sure you have trail forks and avoid the steeper stuff. Either one will be plenty rocky for you.

Down near Winchester you're pretty close to Elizabeth Furnace...I can't really comment on what the trails are like there though... it's been a decade since I've been there. If you can swing the ride Massanutten's western slope is about an hour, maybe slightly more, from Winchester. Rooty and rocky there for sure. You do need a trail pass there...I think you can purchase from your phone.

I'm not really familiar with Delaware.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Tons of great stuff. Depends a bit on what you want to do. Example: Patapsco, as mentioned, is mostly XC but if you want gnarly rocky up or down that can be had there too.
And if gnarly, rocky is your thing, Elizabeth's Furnace has to be one of the best in the area (Bear Wallow up and down, at EF, is my favorite section in all of VA).

If you can afford the stop "in the middle" as referenced, the Gambrill/Frederick Watershed area is probably the overall best in the entire area. Fair warning, some of the Shed is straight up non-stop rocky torture chamber.

In Newark, I prefer the Middle Run trails to White Clay Creek, but again, if you prefer steep/rocky, you can do that in Delaware too, just head 15min North to Brandywine. Nothing like the others in terms of scale but super fun if you decide to let it hang out on what is there.
Happy to provide more details if you dial us in a bit about what you're looking for.

·
g=9.764m/s2
835 Posts
Good Afternoon,

Thanks!
For Newark since you prefer wheels on the ground, White Clay/Middle Run is a great flow system with some moderate climbing with quick twisty downhills when you hit the right trails in the proper direction... all is mapped on Trail Forks and will take you as long as you can go...

(not mine)

·
I live to bike
2,447 Posts
Sorry I missed this post. I own Element Sports in Winchester, and we have lots of great riding in the area! Others already mentioned Elizabeth Furnace, which has plenty of rocks and elevation gain. Lots and lots of other great trails in the GWNF. If you're down again, I'd be happy to share my favorite routes there.

We also have Cacapom north of town, a great variety of trails from smooth beginner to super rocky descents.

Rolling Ridge also offers plenty of tech. For less tech, but still with plenty of vertical, we have Shenandoah River State Park nearby, too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.