Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at getting some recommendations for trails to ride.

I am in San Diego for work, my hotel is just off of I-15 and Carmel Mountain Rd Google Maps Link
I'm looking for trails that are close to the area.

Looking for trails that are somewhat technical and have some climbing. Also some with drops but nothing outrageous as the bike will be a demo and don't feel like paying a shop for broken parts. I will be riding most of the day on Saturday and Sunday.

Thanks for any ideas

·
Registered
264 Posts
Daley Ranch and Other Links

Check Out Daley Ranch (Dixon Lake) which is just north of you off Highway 15 at El Norte Parkway. That will give you climbs, a relatively obvious path, and other riders who can help guide you if you get lost. Even if we get some rain on Friday, the place will still be good. Many other locations in San Diego turn muddy after about 1/4" of rain.

Another popular location is Lake Hodges (I-15 at Via Rancho Parkway). While this gives you a great view of the lake, its more of a beginner trail unless you get familiar with the routes up to some of the local peaks. This can be a great spot to get the tires dirty if you only have about 2 hours for a ride.

Directions to both of these locations and many other SD trails can be found at:
http://www.professorgreg.com/sdbiking/

Enjoy!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys.

Definitely mud will be a concern as I would like to limit the amount of cleaning to the inside of the rental car.

Feel free to throw up more trail names. I hope to be completely beat after both days.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Sycamore canyon is prolly 10 minutes from your hotel and great spot for all type of rides

Small warm up climb

DH run starts here

1st drop in (view from the bottom lookin up)

2nd drop in

And my fav (usually session this a few times before moving on)

Same drop in but from the bottom up

View of the canyon

Some rollers

Top of the next DH run into the creekbed which is a network of singletracks

My normal loop there is about 16 miles and alot is spent on single track or blazing fast fire road rollers on top.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Oliver said:
I will second Sycamore Canyon, real close to whrere you are staying. I will be riding it this Sunday at about 8:30am. Nice mix of fire road and single track.
I was thinking of getting an early ride in on sunday if you want to meet up, I'll be driving a lower silver/grey scion XB.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks jsigone for taking the time to post that. I'll definitely go there at least once if not both days.

Is the "normal" loop well marked or is there a lot of side trails to get sidetracked/lost? Does the trail get bad if it rains?

·
Registered
555 Posts
if it rains hard, there will be about 4-6 small creek crossing when you get that deep into the canyon. I've been out there in a down pour and it was fun, lots of grip through the cornes.

I'll try and get a route slip done of my normal loop. When you get to the creek bed, there are single tracks EVERY WHERE, some good, some boring, after tons of exploring I found the ones I liked the most. I wouldn't even put Daley ranch or Hodges on the same level as Syc. Syc has it all and will demand your attention on some of the single tracks. Even the fire roads on top have lots of baby heads and on the DH so you're moving pretty darn good.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
jsigone said:
I was thinking of getting an early ride in on sunday if you want to meet up, I'll be driving a lower silver/grey scion XB.
I will look for you, I have 3 friends coming down from Orange County to test out some new 29ers that my friend is building. I will be there about 8:30am, look for a red Tacoma double cab truck, you are more than welcome to join the ride. It may be a slow pace, because a few of us are a little out of shape, and we may stop a few times to snap some pictures for my friends new bike company website.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Oliver said:
I will look for you, I have 3 friends coming down from Orange County to test out some new 29ers that my friend is building. I will be there about 8:30am, look for a red Tacoma double cab truck, you are more than welcome to join the ride. It may be a slow pace, because a few of us are a little out of shape, and we may stop a few times to snap some pictures for my friends new bike company website.
sounds good to me, I'll be there about that time. I might have one friend from Costa Mesa come down to try out this trail.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
jsigone said:
sounds good to me, I'll be there about that time. I might have one friend from Costa Mesa come down to try out this trail.
I use to live in Costa Mesa for a couple of years. It will be a regular OC reunion. The trail is a blast, all my friends love to ride their single speeds there.

·
Nothing to see here
892 Posts
Dude, look southwest from your hotel window and you'll see a "mountain" with antennaes on top. That is Black Mountain. You can ride up the west side of it and hit some nice singletrack on the back (east) side on the way down. Go the aforementioned mountainbikebill.com site for detailed trail maps. It's close and is fun.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I've been going up to Aliso Woods for the past couple months, LOVE that trail and all the DH's. Climbing and cleaning Rock It was a good challenge!!! He's looking foward to Syc after some of the pics I showed him.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
jsigone said:
I've been going up to Aliso Woods for the past couple months, LOVE that trail and all the DH's. Climbing and cleaning Rock It was a good challenge!!! He's looking foward to Syc after some of the pics I showed him.
Have you riden the Luge? That is a fun ride, you may also want to try Laguna Coast, and Santiago Oaks as well. Try this website for some other good OC rides.

http://www.geoladders.com/overview.php

·
Registered
555 Posts
Nah I havn't tried those other ones, I want to try as many new trails as possible, kinda got burnt out of all the SD trails. I only ride Syc every now and then just so I don't get burnt out of it too. I want to do San Juan, and few others up there before it gets crazy hot.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ended up going to Daley Ranch and Black Mtn today. Got to see a paraglider crash into the side of black mtn. Made the ride short as a couple of us went to see if he was ok (was told he cut up his leg pretty bad).

Will be going to Sycamore Canyon tomorrow. If you guys don't mind, I'd like to tag along in the back. Climbing with this bike is SLOW.

I'm seeing a couple options on where to start at Sycamore. There's a main trailhead off of sycamore canyon rd but also see there's one called Medina across from Mast blvd and one off of hwy 67. Is the main trailhead recommended?

·
Registered
555 Posts
how did you like the "warm up" at Daley?

Start from the Poway side of Syc, since your there, I'd only start from the Mast (Santee) side if I was coming from the south. All the good stuff is on the Poway side anyways.

Take Poway road East
Right on Garden Rd
Rigth on Sycamore Canyon Road
Dead ends at dirt parking lot (watch out for horses on that road)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Was warned about the "warmup" at daley but it still sucked.

Went to Sycamore today. Due to the beer last night and the temp, got a late start. Was having a lot of fun till I mangled the rear deurailer. Not quite sure what happened. There were no rocks around when it happened, just tried to shift. Course, it was shifting weird the whole weekend. Hopefully the shop won't rape me on replacement.

Would probably still be out there or at Black Mtn but oh well. It was fun while it lasted.

They need to make a law similiar to dogs and their crap for horses. Probably dodged more piles of crap than rocks. Was still a blast though.

Thanks to everyone for leading me to these trails. Hope to ride them again.

Now for your viewing pleasure:madman:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.