Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Road Trip! Trail recommendations for epic XC/AM rides

Greetings all, I'll be in Oregon for a little over a week and a half (July 6-14) and I'm looking forward to getting some great riding in. My buddy and I are looking for some epic single-track rides at least 15 miles in length. We'll be camping as close as possible to all the trails so any recommended camping spots would also be appreciated.

Our itinerary looks like this:

Epic rides:
- 2 days at crater lake and the surrounding (1-2 hr driving distance) region
- 2-3 days in bend
- another 2 days who knows where else!

Short rides (5-10 miles):
We'll be driving from the Smith River area in Norcal -> Crater Lake which goes thorugh grant's pass, so it would be nice to find a short ride around there. And after crater lake we'll be heading back towards the 5 or the 97-20-5 en route to Portland, depending on where a good second short ride would be close to those highways (97-20-5 takes us through bend or we could take the 58 through oakridge).

My frist trip riding in Oregon was last year and I rode the MRT and some short rides around the gorge/mt. hood. Personally I thought the MRT was a little boring...it seemed like endless miles of flat/slow downhill. I personally like to do some demanding climbing (preferrably on single track as opposed to fire road--I can ride endless miles of fire road here in the Santa Ana mountains, plus I don't like having to worry about motorcycles/jeeps running me over). I like rides that really mix up the trail conditions (steep up hills, swooping downhills, technical sections, stream crossings, throw it all at me). One of my favorite rides ever was ape canyon in ST. helens because of the wide variety of trail conditions (lush pine forests to desolate volcanic rock ).

So with these ideas in mind can anyone offer some recommendations for rides that you think we would enjoy? Thanks a million, I can't wait to get up there. By the way, we're driving all the way from orange county :eek:

·
Registered
927 Posts
Check this...

Who knows where else,......should be in Oakridge, no question. If you want demanding clinbs, and the most awesome singletrack you have riden in you life get to Oakridge. I have lived in Oregon my whole life, and have riden a considerable amount of single track anywhere from Portland to Corvallis to Bend, and Oakridge is hands down the best place to ride mountain bikes. Get a hold of some of the DOD boys living in and around Oakridge and see if they have time to hook you up with some riding.
I am currently living in Bend and would be happy to show you some of our trail system, however, I will be out of town July 1-6. Shout me a PM and let me know when you will be in Bend and we can hook it up here.

Just to let you know there is the Summer Fest going on in Oakridge July 14-16 I believe. There is a post in this forum in regards to it. Generalcoonskins posted it. That would be your best bet. You have the option of epics 50+ miles, to intermediate 15-30 miles. I don't know if that will fit into your schdule but if it does you should go for it. Lot of great people, free camping and sick riding.

ride on......

JC

·
Registered
927 Posts
No, I am the fat guy!

Mudflaps said:
BIGfatED knows what's going on. Wait, now we have to kill him, and his name's not Ed, and he's not fat. WTF? I can't wait for the skeeters to recede and get to higher elevations.
Really!:p Mudflaps, did we meet at the CCP? My name definately does not fit my physical description, but my XXL Fat Chance Yo Eddy sure does (recently put into retirement for a 29er Sycip Double Dribble. BigfatEd will be going SS real soon and will be hitting the dirt with the best of them.

JC

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Well no, but I have spies..

BIGfatED said:
Really!:p Mudflaps, did we meet at the CCP? My name definately does not fit my physical description, but my XXL Fat Chance Yo Eddy sure does (recently put into retirement for a 29er Sycip Double Dribble. BigfatEd will be going SS real soon and will be hitting the dirt with the best of them.

JC
Like Matt, and Davey. I hope we meet and ride sometime soon, though. If you're sick enough to be a participant in the CCP, you're all right in my book, except for giving away the goods to foreigners, of course. Oops, am I now complicit too?
Those old Yo Eddies were some great bikes. Never owned one but had to take one for a test ride on Moon Point once :). The guy buying it didn't even mind, (helps that he was a good friend, and understood my need to give it a thorough test before handing it over to the rider).

·
Registered
927 Posts
Mudflaps said:
Like Matt, and Davey. I hope we meet and ride sometime soon, though. If you're sick enough to be a participant in the CCP, you're all right in my book, except for giving away the goods to foreigners, of course. Oops, am I now complicit too?
QUOTE]

Thing is with Oakridge,.....if you don't have someone to show you the trails the best you can do is get lost, ya know? You all do a good job of confusing people at intersections and the like. Without help you feel like this guy :madman:

I'm hoping to make one day of the Summer Fest, probably Sunday, as I have to work the Cascade Cycling Classic here in Bend on Saturday. Hope to see you there, at Summer Fest.

JC

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Thing is with Oakridge,.....if you don't have someone to show you the trails the best you can do is get lost, ya know? You all do a good job of confusing people at intersections and the like. Without help you feel like this guy :madman:

I'm hoping to make one day of the Summer Fest, probably Sunday, as I have to work the Cascade Cycling Classic here in Bend on Saturday. Hope to see you there, at Summer Fest.

JC
I will be happy to confuse people out there that weekend. Not sure which day I can make it for sure, but if in doubt, I usually favor Sundays. I hope to meet you there.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
216 Posts
If you head further north, there's Surveyor's ridge near Hood River, and one I will be doing this weekend that is spectacular: Ape Canyon, on the flanks of Mt. St. Helens. It's like biking on the moon. Except the gravity is still the same.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.