Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Freezer
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be at Squaw Valley next week, planning to ride a 2-4 hours in the mornings and looking for recommendations. Looks like a lot of trails accessible from the Three Bridges trail off of 89- Glass Mountain Loop, Sawtooth, Big Chief, OTB, Deer Creek, etc. Any specific recommendations for trails to ride or avoid? Thanks!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ride all of those! (except Sawtooth - that trail sucks unless you like flat, rocky, no flow, not technical, no "mountain", and boring)

Plus Mt Watson.

Up Western States to Painted Rock to Mt. Watson to TRT to OTB to Big Chief, back up 06 to Deer Creek, back up to WS to TRT to Glass Mtn dh. All excellent.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Lots and lots of good stuff out there with Big Chief being the newest (looking forward to riding that soon). Keep your phone handy as there isn't much in the way of trail markers out there (some here and there but not everything is well marked).

Depending on your start point, you could always drop into Tahoe City, grab a bite at Bridgetender (personal fav) or River Ranch for post-ride bite and brew.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Lots of options but here’s a couple of routes:

1) Western States, Walternate, Painted Rock (TRT), Upper Big Chief, 06, Deer Creek. Be quiet and respectful at the bottom of DC as you pass through the compound. Before dropping UBC, detour to Watson Lake for a snack.

2) Western States, Walternate, Painted Rock to Watson Peak. Back down the TRT to Lakeview, Woop d Doo, powerline, TRT, Missing Link, Western States. You could skip Watson Peak but you like climbing, right?

3) Bike path to Tahoe City, then South on 89 to Ward Creek Park. Stanford Rock to TRT to Paige Meadows. Since you like climbing and Stanford Rock was just a warm up, grab Deer Park for an out and back to Scott Peak. Then drop into Alpine Meadows.

4) Bike path to Tahoe City. Bridgetender. Bike path back to Squaw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Ride On!
1,186 Posts
Not sure I agree with some of what is being said about Sawtooth. If your just into trail riding and like to explore a bit, then it is a great set of trails to do so. Granted, you won't be having any epic downhills, but it is something to consider if you are in the area for multiple days as a recoup, in between epic rides.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Lots of options but here's a couple of routes:

1) Western States, Walternate, Painted Rock (TRT), Upper Big Chief, 06, Deer Creek. Be quiet and respectful at the bottom of DC as you pass through the compound. Before dropping UBC, detour to Watson Lake for a snack.

2) Western States, Walternate, Painted Rock to Watson Peak. Back down the TRT to Lakeview, Woop d Doo, powerline, TRT, Missing Link, Western States. You could skip Watson Peak but you like climbing, right?

3) Bike path to Tahoe City, then South on 89 to Ward Creek Park. Stanford Rock to TRT to Paige Meadows. Since you like climbing and Stanford Rock was just a warm up, grab Deer Park for an out and back to Scott Peak. Then drop into Alpine Meadows.

4) Bike path to Tahoe City. Bridgetender. Bike path back to Squaw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My vote is for option 4... grab a beer or three, Chipotle burger, some waffle cut garlic fries and sit on the patio by the river... Sounds like an epic ride day to me!

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Many of my Tahoe City rides go like this:

Start from 89 at Squaw Valley Park

Up Western States & Wallternate

Then whatever messing around up top (OTB, Missing Link, Upper Big Chief, etc.)

Down Tahoe Rim Trail to Tahoe City / Bridgetender

Wash off in the Truckee, drink and eat on the Bridgetender patio

Sobering easy ride up the bike path back to Squaw Valley Park

·
Paper or plastic?
10,632 Posts
Jackass rides well right now and detour single track is open

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.