Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and sister in-law want to go camping in the Adirondacks next weekend at Indian Lake, NY. Seems like a good idea to bring the bike along. I'm looking for some recommendations from people with experience in the area. I'm aware of MTB project and Trailforks.

-bike is a 2004 Fuji Nevada. definitely in the XC category, but I've had it on rougher trails.
-Long time biker, but only into MTB trails for about a month. I don't have a clue what I'm doing yet.
-Wife sticks to rail trails and fire roads. this means I'd likely be solo, so please don't send me somewhere I'll die alone in the woods.
-alternately, somewhere that has both easy XC trails and some intermediate trails to keep me not bored would be great. Open to dirt/fire roads with some scenery that would be fun for everyone.
-I'm looking at Garnet Hill, Gore Mountain, Ski-Bowl @ North Creek. Open to anything within an hour of Indian lake.
-The Barkeater trails are all too far away.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll look there. Old forge is where all the snow mobile stuff is, right? Due to Covid restrictions, I never actually went. But I have been biking locally, and just purchased my first full suspension. Hopefully next year I'll be able to plan some bike specific trips, including the Adirondacks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Lots of trails in and around Old Forge:

https://www.trailforks.com/region/new-york/?activitytype=1&z=11.3&lat=43.72967&lon=-74.86789

Yes Old Forge is big with snowmobiles. They are also pulling all the rails from Lake Placid to Thendara (Just S of Old Forge) for a rail trail for sleds in the winter and bikes in the summer.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/107243836054598

A good ride would also be the Moose River plains along Cedar River Rd to Limekiln Lake. Been up and down it with the Jeeps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Reviving an old thread... What about the snowmobile trails in the Indian Lake area: are they rideable during the summer months, or are they too rough, overgrown or only used by ATV's?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I once tried to follow Google maps from Old Forge to Big Moose and it sent me up North St which turns into a sled trail out of town. My JK Wrangler had no problems and I'm sure a HT MTB would have any issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts