Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Muskoka
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At age 17 our " Best Dog Evar" border collie Scout went to that big sheep farm in the sky. He spent all but the last few years on the local trails with us, he knew them better than we did I think. That was last May and just after this pic was taken. We still miss him...

My spouse has never not had a dog, so it wasn't too long before she brought home Baloo from the SPCA. Not just sure what Baloo is; the SPCA said he was a shepherd-border collie cross, but our vet thinks he's shepherd-akita or shepherd-husky. He sure loves snow!!
Anyway, he's nine months old now and I thought I should start to get him "Trail-Rated"
So yesterday he joined me as I skied The Old Stone Rd Trail, and again today while I biked The Devil's Gap Trail. Nice to have a dog along once again! :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
That is a gorgeous dog! Having a trail companion like that is something that I've wanted for a long time . . .

also, good call on taking advantage of the SPCA. Having volunteered at a SPCA, hearing of people adopting dogs from there is great.

·
Muskoka
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dr Feelygood ! said:
Now that is a Handsome Dog BCD :thumbsup:

Looks like he was built for Muskoka !
Hey we should have named him Skoki..official mascot of Muskoka!
Alas, he was already named Baloo when we got him. Just doesn't seem right to change it.
And I think Skoki is an otter ;)

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,470 Posts
Good for you guys, he's a beautiful dog. Looks like he's found a good pack. We got Jack about about 10 years ago. He quickly figured out we were a vast improvement on his previous gig, and settled in for the long haul. One scary smart dog, sadly, WAY too much prey drive prevents him from being off leash trail rated. He's done 23MPH sustained so he'd kill it, bummer....

Good thing he's not too hard to look at. :cool:

Attachments

·
Self-defeatist
965 Posts
Awesome dogs, BCD! That picture of Scout is beautiful, thanks for sharing.

I wouldn't worry about changing names, even now. My girlfriend and I do foster care for a local rescue league here in the maritimes and it's normal for dogs to get a new name when they enter foster care (I'm sure the day Baloo got named there was a run on Jungle Book names) then get another new one when they go to their 'forever home.'

Here are a few of the dogs that have passed through our house.

Fleck.

Nick.

Jem.

And another pic of my own trail-rated pup, Bru' doing her thing.

·
Self-defeatist
965 Posts
BlackCanoeDog said:
^ My wife looks at pics on SPCA websites, rescue league's, etc, and she wants to bring them ALL home!
If you do foster care...you can!! But then you have to say goodbye to every one as well. Not so hard when you know that they've found a good home.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.