Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Muskoka
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
At age 17 our " Best Dog Evar" border collie Scout went to that big sheep farm in the sky. He spent all but the last few years on the local trails with us, he knew them better than we did I think. That was last May and just after this pic was taken. We still miss him...

My spouse has never not had a dog, so it wasn't too long before she brought home Baloo from the SPCA. Not just sure what Baloo is; the SPCA said he was a shepherd-border collie cross, but our vet thinks he's shepherd-akita or shepherd-husky. He sure loves snow!!
Anyway, he's nine months old now and I thought I should start to get him "Trail-Rated"
So yesterday he joined me as I skied The Old Stone Rd Trail, and again today while I biked The Devil's Gap Trail. Nice to have a dog along once again! :D

·
Registered
118 Posts
sorry for your loss....Scout looks like he could be everyones best friend!
im a suck for border collies, had one as a kid....brings a tear to my eyes :(
G/F and I have been talking about adding another dog to the family...Knolly, our GSD could use a friend.
I would agree with your vet, Baloo looks like a shepherd-akita!

Happy trails!!

·
Muskoka
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dhpunk~ said:
sorry for your loss....Scout looks like he could be everyones best friend!
im a suck for border collies, had one as a kid....brings a tear to my eyes :(
G/F and I have been talking about adding another dog to the family...Knolly, our GSD could use a friend.
I would agree with your vet, Baloo looks like a shepherd-akita!

Happy trails!!
Thanks! Indeed, Scout was special! And I have a soft spot for border collies too.

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
I can't imagine life without a pet. Whether it's a dog or a cat, there's something out there for everyone. Ms. Vagabond and Ms. Rkay have both just realised just how awesome pets can be.

We've had our current teeny tabby for over 15 years now and while he may not be "trail rated", he's a deft shop hand. We've spent countless lazy Summer afternoons hanging out in the Monster Garage changing tubes and lubing chains. I'd be lost without his helpful, fuzzy advice! :)

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Oh, hi there Baloo! :)

·
Registered
277 Posts
That's a handsome mutt if I've ever seen one. He definitely looks right at home in the snow.

My pooch and I just got out for a ride this evening actually. He's getting his base training in :thumbsup:

·
Muskoka
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
garage monster said:
I can't imagine life without a pet. Whether it's a dog or a cat, there's something out there for everyone. Ms. Vagabond and Ms. Rkay have both just realised just how awesome pets can be.

We've had our current teeny tabby for over 15 years now and while he may not be "trail rated", he's a deft shop hand. We've spent countless lazy Summer afternoons hanging out in the Monster Garage changing tubes and lubing chains. I'd be lost without his helpful, fuzzy advice! :)
My spouse Bonnie is a real pet/animal lover. We still have 3 old cats (we had 5 at one time) who hide upstairs most of the time since we got Baloo. They grew up with Scout, and are just too old to abide the antics of a great big puppy in the house! We also have a 23 yr old turtle, and we had a cockateil that flew around inside our house but succumbed to a head injury it sustained when it was startled and flew up into a door frame! It loved to stand on my oldest son's chest prattling and whistling away while he lay on a bed or a sofa reading a book.
Bonnie also had a 'pet' robin for 5 yrs that was caught by a dog when it was a baby and sustained permanent damage to one leg and one wing and could not fly. It lived in a cage in one of our windows and it was always very touching in the fall because other robins would gather in the trees outside the window calling, enticing Chirpy to join them for the migration south but of course he/she couldn't!! It was always very nice though.... to have a robin chirping inside our house in the middle of winter:)

·
Muskoka
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
akura said:
That's a handsome mutt if I've ever seen one. He definitely looks right at home in the snow.

My pooch and I just got out for a ride this evening actually. He's getting his base training in :thumbsup:
That's a handsome pooch too! Is he part Rottweiller?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Thanks! He's a German Shepherd/rottweiler. We just adopted him in December, he's a great dog.

A good friend of mine had a border collie for years at the camp he lived/worked at (Ontario Camp for the deaf). She was an amazing dog, used to herd EVERYTHING, quads, snowmachines, side by sides. Her teeth were worn right down from nibbling the track on the bulldozer among other things.

·
9 lives
17,118 Posts
I am sorry about your loss. 17 is a long life for a dog and I'm sure Scout was a wonderful companion who will be missed. Your new pup Baloo looks very comfortable on the trail. and you'll have some fun adventures together.

Our Jack Russell Rocky will be 15 this year. He loves joining us on rides in warmer weather.

·
Registered
497 Posts
[/URL][/TD][/TR][TR][TD]From Drop Box[/TD][/TR][/TABLE][/IMG]

He is a lot of help around the shop, the best greeter around!

He is also the best riding partner around, but he is only good for a warm up loop now, he always enjoys the mid ride swim on our favorite trail.

[/URL][/TD][/TR][TR][TD]From Drop Box[/TD][/TR][/TABLE][/IMG]

·
FeelIng Cranky!
147 Posts
Lovely Dooggie Congrat and sorry about your loss. This is my boy. he's wonderfull and loves to get out on the trails with me!

·
mtbr Decade+
1,545 Posts
Hopefully this works. Here is Mujibar, aka Muji, great family dog. Regally handsome and yet very protective. He would actually herd people away from our kids as if to say, "Nothing to see here, move along".

Attachments

·
Muskoka
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^ Muji is a cute dog, what breed? Almost looks like a border collie, but the colour throws me. I know they come in a variety of colours, but I have not seen one quite like that!

·
mostbrokenestscaphoidever
228 Posts
Hmm..

Looks like a Siberian and Akita mix... very nice looking puppers... Sorry about your dog Scout...

Sadly I have to retire my girl Paxton (who turns 8 in a month) from riding with me (arthiritis has set in + and pain from an old injury) ... hopefully she will still enjoy the trails for more years to come, but only when I hike them with her...

This is my girl Paxton at Ravenshoe taking a break after having run alongside me for about an hour (taken last year sometime) :D
Dog breed Dog Carnivore Collar Working animal

I have trained my younger male Adesso off-leash and he's already been on a few trial runs last season, so he will be coming along on the rides with me... but I will alternate with my other younger dog as well. Adesso seems to respond well to a bike bell :p

Here is a pic of Adesso at Silent Lake with me last year (was supposed to be a biking weekend - but I had a cast on still)
Dog breed Carnivore Dog Mammal Forest

·
mtbr Decade+
1,545 Posts
BlackCanoeDog said:
^ Muji is a cute dog, what breed? Almost looks like a border collie, but the colour throws me. I know they come in a variety of colours, but I have not seen one quite like that!
Collie/retriever cross. He's 13 now and not doing so well. The vet says he had a neurological episode, ie. a stroke, and his motor-coordination skills are shot. While once he could sprint for hours now he weebles and wobbles around.

His breeders must have known he was from a good looking lineage though, because he was an expensive mut!

·
Muskoka
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mysty said:
Looks like a Siberian and Akita mix... very nice looking puppers... Sorry about your dog Scout...

Sadly I have to retire my girl Paxton (who turns 8 in a month) from riding with me (arthiritis has set in + and pain from an old injury) ... hopefully she will still enjoy the trails for more years to come, but only when I hike them with her...
It's sad when they can no longer run the trails. In his later years Scout would see us loading the bikes and get all excited expecting to go. But we knew better and would have to leave him at home 8-(
I don't think Baloo is Akita, his temperment is very friendly and sociable with everyone and other dogs, unlike typical Akita temperment. Most people surmise he is probably a German Shepherd / Siberian Husky cross. I might get a DNA test done on him as a surprise for Bonnie's birthday, she's very curious about it.

·
Muskoka
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
cyclelicious said:
I am sorry about your loss. 17 is a long life for a dog and I'm sure Scout was a wonderful companion who will be missed. Your new pup Baloo looks very comfortable on the trail. and you'll have some fun adventures together.

Our Jack Russell Rocky will be 15 this year. He loves joining us on rides in warmer weather.

There used to be a JRT at Buckwallow all the time. I coudn't believe how fast he was on those little legs!!! His name was Booger :D

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
Not nearly enough cat pictures in this thread! I know I'm not the only one... :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts