Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Young, Shawn Young
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Im looking for a quality trail work tool that would optimally be as light as possible. If possible something that folds or is small/light enough to strap to my camelbak. Suggestions please. Thanks:)

Shawn

·
Young, Shawn Young
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
shiggy said:
IMO anything that small and light would not be worth using or last very long.
Im not trying to build a trail, just some minor repair work here and there. ie- rain ruts where a bit of smoothing out would keep peeps on the trail rather than making a new line.

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
Redmon said:
Im not trying to build a trail, just some minor repair work here and there. ie- rain ruts where a bit of smoothing out would keep peeps on the trail rather than making a new line.
so? I bet a metal leaf rake with a wooden handle ( Cut it short if you want) still doesn't weigh more than a few ounces more than a cheap one.

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
Our local well used trails have this ugly hoe/rake combo available at the very tops of our climbs for "trail maintenance" call the imba ass. and find out what it is... its OK but hate to pack it!

·
Want to vent?
654 Posts
Seems like folks are scared to tell ya there is such a thing as a lightweight , foldable metal(aluminum) rake :)

however, my bud has one....but said it is expensive.......and unfortunately, i dont have the name of the maker or i would tell ya........

the only trade off with the rake besides cost is the width of the rake is rather small..... but good for portability and the metal "fingers" as im gonna call them on the small rake are stiff and not flimsy like a leaf rake

i am lookin for one as well to do some some quick work without having to lug all my real gear out in the woods and instead of having to use the old foot wedge and dirty up my riding shoes :)

·
2,093 Posts
Don't bother

Load up a six-pack and a heavy rake and hike it out to the clean up spot! You could also just ride at bootleg where the trails are nice and raked out 'smooth" for your enjoyment. I forgot, I can't let this one pass me. A large diameter SPOON will work wonders LOL!

·
I always bleed like this.
496 Posts
If you are willing to bend a little forget the rake and get a high quality army e-tool. It has many uses, a good one can be used to cut down trees to digging. It can be used as a stool or a woodland johnny on the spot. And it is very packable. If you lock the head at 90degrees it can drag dirt like a rake, not great but it will work.

The Glock comes with a mini saw: http://www.glock.com/e-tool.htm
US issue type, Glock looks a lot nicer: http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.aspx?productID=9237&TabID=1

Oh, forgot to mention, you can kill a guy with one of these too but I am pretty sure you won't be invited to any more trail work days if you use this feature.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Shulaski

Redmon said:
Hey All,

Im looking for a quality trail work tool that would optimally be as light as possible. If possible something that folds or is small/light enough to strap to my camelbak. Suggestions please. Thanks:)

Shawn
Dirt Rag had a review of the Shulaski and McLeod, The McLeod might be what you are looking for.

http://www.imba.com/resources/trail_building/tool_guide.html

"Shulaski Custom Trail Tools
Tel: 678-410-8021
Email: [email protected]
[email protected]

Tools created by the founder of the Subaru/IMBA Trail Care Crew, Mike Riter, and Charlie Shultz, Southern Off-Road Bicycling Association (SORBA) crew leader are designed specifically for trailbuilding. Shulaski currently offers two basic trail tools.
The Shulaski
* A redesigned pulaski/adze hoe ($60)
The Mcleod
* -3 prongs ($40) is light weight and perfect for maintenance
* -4 and 5 prong styles ($65 each) are more resilient for construction

Although with prices like that, You might do better to go with the best thing at the local hardware store or check Ben Meadows www.benmeadows.com or forestry suppliers www.forestry-suppliers.com

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I own one of these for camping but seems perfect for you Tool thingy

Or my personal favorite buy a rake cut 3/4 the handle off strap head of rake to camelback bring a roll of ductape once you arrive at desired spot find a good stick and ductape the partial rake to stick and now you have a full size rake once you are finished cut tape strap partial rake back no camelback and off you go :D

·
Young, Shawn Young
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll just pick a day to hike instead of ride and get something durable. Eric, since you suggested hiking I'll be recruiting help later this week for upper Late Night Trail work!

Shawn

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Well then a leaf rake won't do if you're trying to repair ruts. I use a hoe for skimming off unwanted sections of rutted trail. Works great, but as far as I know there aren't any folding landscaping tools.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.