Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
30 something dad
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there folks-
We'll be moving to SLC next summer and I was wondering what neighborhood recommendations could be made for best places to live and have a short ride to a trail head. Say if we land in Sugar House, is there a trail that's easily gotten to without getting in the car? What are your suggestions. We're just starting to check things out, and I want to factor this into our decision.

Cheers!

·
NOT Team Sanchez
1,973 Posts
I'm from STG but I know as close as to the east side as possible the better, albeit more expensive, but all the trails are east in the hills. Millcreek is pretty close to some good riding, nice area too.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Bst

The Bonneville Shoreline Trail can be accessed from a few places that are close to Sugarhouse.
These are the ones that are close to Sugarhouse
1. Hogle Zoo
2. Red Butte Gardens @ the U of U
3. Jewish Community Center

These BST Trailheads are easily accessed from the Aves
1. Popperton Park
2. Terace hills trail head (Popular starting point for the Bobsled)
3. Memory Grove / City Creek. (My personal Fav)
4. Ensign Peak trailhead.

You will get alot of Opinions about what park of town is the best. From a strictly trail access perspective I would try to live as close to Memory grove or 11th ave as possible. The area around the Capitol Building is about my favorite moderatly priced neighborhood in slc. Lots of 2-3 bedroom houses close to 200K. Sugarhouse I personally think is the most overvalued part of slc. 2-3 bedroom houses that are rundown and on .05 acre lots are 250k. I live in Rose Park which is west of the Capitol and one of the least desireable parts of SLC. (Little Mexico). I bought my 3 bedroom house for 120k and its on 1/3 of an acre. It takes me 10 min to ride to the trails at Memory Grove The actual sugarhouse area (IE 1300 e 2100 S) is probably like a 15 min ride from the trails. So I guess it really depends on your house budget. If you are looking at 600k Plus Homes the area above the Capital and the Upper (12, 13, 14, 15) Aves and Federal Heights all have trail access of less then 5 min. If you looking at 300k'ish houses Sugarhouse the aves and the Captal hill area all have good trail access with sugarhouse being the furthest away at about a 15 min ride depedning on what part you live in. If you are looking below 200K Rose Park is about the only place thats close to the Trails.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Depending on your work and/or school locations, you may also want to consider the Southeast part of Sandy and East Draper. They are easy riding distance to Temple Quarry in Little Cottonwood canyon, and the corner canyon trails are great. More trails are being built there every year, and they are a little less crowded than the Salt Lake trails. We often ride up Big Cottonwood to Mill D, and do the Crest from in town. Good luck!

·
30 something dad
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great advice, thanks!

I'll be working in Park City, so that's one reason I had Sugar House high on the list. I'm intrigued by towns like Sandy and Draper but how would the commute up to PC be from there? Sounds like you really can't go too wrong, that there will be some sort of trail access reasonably close not matter where you are. Maybe the question should be more: Where should I not live if I want to be able to ride to trails and commute to PC every day.

Cheers!

·
gunslinger
515 Posts
What do you do that's bringing you here?

Utah is like mega outdoor mecca. Even living here in the valley (1M+ people), you're not more than a short drive/ride from silence and wide open stuf.

Question:

Have you considered the cost of commuting to PC and factored that into your home budget? I don't know about others, but I'd get sick of leaving PC every day only to come down into the valley and it's pollution. I have no clue of home prices "up the hill", but there's got to be something in your budget within the same drive time.

·
30 something dad
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, it'd be nice to live in Park City and if we find something in our price range up there, that may happen. My wife is a teacher so she's going to be looking all over the place for jobs, but most of the opportunities will probably be in SLC. Also we have kids so we like the schools we've been looking at in the valley as well. Plus while we're psyched to be heading back west (spent a year in CO a few years back) we do like the amenities Boston has to offer so being near something urban like SLC but with the outdoor piece of it so close seems like the best of both worlds.

How is the inversion though? Does it interfere with day-to-day living? Do you find that it limits what you want to do when you want to do it? And by that I mean outdoor pursuits but also just daily living like hitting the grocery store or being out and about. That's another reason I was thinking of Sugar House or a town further east, I figured the higher up I could get and still be in the valley would help with the air quality. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Inversion? It's never bothered me. Maybe when I get older, but for now inversion days are business as usual for me.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The inversion is a lot worse in the winter than the summer, and there's not much physical activity to do in the valley in the winter. Anything that you will be doing outside in the winter that gets your heart rate up will be in the mountains above the inversion so I wouldn't worry too much about it, it just looks nasty.

·
gunslinger
515 Posts
truepatriot09 said:
How is the inversion though? Does it interfere with day-to-day living? Do you find that it limits what you want to do when you want to do it? And by that I mean outdoor pursuits but also just daily living like hitting the grocery store or being out and about. That's another reason I was thinking of Sugar House or a town further east, I figured the higher up I could get and still be in the valley would help with the air quality. What do you think?
You won't see any relief from the pollution in Sugarhouse. Hell, we were coming down from snowboarding yesterday and while it was killer blue up @ Solitude, halfway down the canyon we ran into the pollution and it sucked and only got worse. Sugarhouse is located near: I-15, I-80, I-215 & State Street. I don't know that it could get much worse.

If I had to guess (all I can do), I'd say it's worse on the east side. I just looked out my back door... I can see the mountains (Oquirrhs) west of me perfectly clear - I live just west of Bangerter in South Jordan. I can barely discern the tops of the Wasatch range east of me. The range is like a wall that stops the pollution from moving on thru. The pollution is pushed there via the winds that typically blow from the west. This is the ONLY thing I don't like about living here in the valley.

Nobody wants to admit it, but it's nothing other than polluted air. I used to work out of state and on my drive home from Wyoming, I knew I'd quickly go from blue sky to crap. Coming down Parley's, you'll see it EVERY day. Maybe it'll bug you, maybe not, but it bothered/bothers me.

Stay tuned for the 7-day forcast...

Edit:

Here's a picture (taken 5 mintes ago) of "it just looks nasty" looking east a bit south of SH (my cam couldn't focus on "haze" so it's blurry):

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I did the SLC to PC commute for the better part of 6 years. It's not bad at all, aside from a few gnarly snowstorm days. That said I bet you can find a reasonably priced home in the Summit Park/Pinebrook/Jeremy Ranch areas, all of which have killer riding ride out the back door.

If you want to be in the valley, which I honestly prefer, there are really two main zones where you could legitimately ride from your house to trail very easily (and access a decent variety and quality of trails)
1-Draper, as mentioned, but it's going to be a beotch of a commute from there to PC.
2-Avenues area - and maybe out towards Hogle zoo. This allows easy access to the entire Shoreline trail network - lots of variety in routes, etc.

Other possibilities are Sandy and Millcreek/Olympus Cove, but those are basically just one trail out-and-back (LCC from Sandy and Pipeline from Millcreek). Both of which are meh.

We currently live right by the University, and it takes me 15 minutes of riding up through campus to be on the shoreline singletrack. I love it, and when we upsize homes in the next couple years that will be a primary consideration for me - ability to ride quickly from home to good trail. I've thought about this a lot and am 99% sure that if we stay in UT, we'll be finding a place in the upper Avenues (somewhere along 12th or 13th Ave would be ideal).

·
Registered
965 Posts
welcome fellow chowda-head

if you can live in PC, I would second that option for riding from the door. Its cooler in the hot summer months, and you avoid the inversion ( its super nasty right now - and we're not talking aesthetics, we're talking cancer causing ... kids? do them a favor and keep them from breathing it every day ) There is definitely a polution problem in the valley in the summer too - it never looks as bad because the temperature inversion isn't as dramatic, but the air quality is still piss poor. ( maybe not compared to LA or Hong Kong or Bangkok... )

otherwise- like people said, close to the North East corner ( UofU / sugarhouse ) is really the best. The trailheads listed by Pedalfarway are the best options for riding from the door. I live in cottonwood heights, and sure wish I could ride my bike to some dirt. Corner canyon is great, but it will make your commute longer if you live out in the burbs. ( Sugar house may get **** for being snotty, but its got a much nicer neighborhood feel than the big homes out in Sandy and Draper, especially if you want to walk to anything )

hope that helps.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Moved to the valley from Vermont about 18 months ago. Cheap cost of living vs the east but I really hate the Smog being from VT. I can feel it when it gets bad in my throat and lungs and I try and stay inside and install good furnace filters. I really try not to even run my dogs. I work in PC as well and while it may be a very affluent area, the trail access and lack of winter pollution is pretty key IMO. We bought in the "sugarhood" area near Liberty Park for around 210k 19 months ago. It's great if you can appreciate old houses, mine is over 100 and came with it's fair share of quirks. While you can ride to trails from my house, I often choose not to as drivers in SLC are far from bicycle friendly, and local trails in SLC are pretty crowded. Sorry to be a debbie downer, there are a ton of great aspects when it comes to the valley but it is not a place I will ever raise a family. Good luck in your decision and if you need an excellent realtor feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
You might be able to find something in PC

If you wife is an educator she will probably qualify for some of the government housing assistance programs. Teachers get the chance to bid on Foreclosed homes (HUDS) before anyone else and there are downpayment assistance programs where the state loans you the down payment money for a home and then there are no payments on the loan for as long as you remain a teacher in utah. There are many distress properties in Park city and with the 8000 federal tax rebate and and State educator downpatment programs as well as the Home run grant (If you buy something thats new construction) You could likely move in for 0 down and get an $8000 tax rebate plus the 3-5000 home run grant if you get a qualifying home. With these programs combined with the interest free state educator programs there might be more within your means then you think.

And as far as the Pollution goes every single person in the SLC valley has smokers cough from November to May. SLC has had the worst air quality in the nation in the winter months so your kids would be healthier in PC. The Schools in PC are also head and shoulders above those in the valley. There are Zero gangs in PC and I have a feeling less exposure to drug use in high school. The only down side of PC is that there is snow for alot longer. The Valley trails can be rideable in March on a good year. The Lower elevation stuff in PC might be rideable in april if you lucky but more like may, and none of the High elevation trails are dry till june.
If I worked in Park city you would have a hard time convincing me it makes sense to live in slc. Also living in sandy and driving to park city is not possible. Well its possible but you are looking at a 1.5 hour commute each way. I sounds like you want to live in a city but if you wanted Rural living with Great cycling and a little commute to slc with cheaper Houses Look at the towns of Eden and Huntsville at the top of North Odgen canyon. The biking there is awesome and its as close to PC as SLC.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Salt Lake air quality is horrible and that is year round. The visual aspect is worse in the winter, but the air quality is bad all year. I lived there for 10 years and now live in Golden, CO and while the air in Denver isn't the best it is a noticeable improvement. The worst part is the average person in SLC doesn't care and wants to do nothing about it.

It is not just standard pollution either....some of the largest toxic polluters in the country are located in SLC. Not sure if they still are doing this, but when I was there VX Nerve gas was incinerated out by the lake with SLC downwind from it. Pretty sweet and talking to some friends who live there still looks like the state is trying to bring nuclear waste into Utah.

Utah is an amazing place, but not a progressive state when it comes to any environmental policy....the skiing is the best though.

I would agree with the previous poster about raising a family in the valley, you should rent for a while before buying anything....Utah is weird and where you live can really make or break your experience there.

If you can live in PC that is where I would live. I would rent in the mountains over buying in SLC.....the valley sucks. The biking is better in PC anyway. Big Cottonwood Canyon is a good place to live also, I spent 3 years up there and the valley just becomes a distant memory living up there.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I disagree

selector said:
Hoestly, anywhere in the valley is close to riding - I wouldn't sweat how close you may/may not be to trails.
Guess it depends how you define close but good luck riding to a trail from WVC, Riverton, Talyorsville, South Jordan West Jordan, Day break basically anywhere in the valley except for the Downtown Aves Sugarhouse area.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
So we are all in agreement.

The valley sucks. The Air sucks. The water is full of dog piss from the unprotected watersheds, and Prozac, and Birth Control and all that **** Michael Jackson was on. The Mormons are weird. Its hard to understand how such intellegent and rational people believe in Magical underwear, and whispering to themselves.

The Problem with the air quality is not that utah is lagging behind the rest of the nation on enviromental issues. Its that the we have the somewhat unique challenge of the Temperature Inversion. You could take the most progressive city of 1 million plus people and switch it places with SLC and it would still have the problem. Its not that SLC is doing things more wrong then anywhere else its just we have a physics issue that most places dont

But from up here none of it seems to bother me.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts