Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in the Trail Pistola (140mm/140mm) setup on the Revved carbon frame. I read that this setup on the aluminum frame reduced available rear tire clearance from 2.6" to 2.4". Is this still the case?

·
I like goin' fast
110 Posts
The Trail Pistol has 120 mm of rear travel by using a 210x50 metric shock with 29x2.60" tire clearance.

The Pistola bumps this up to 130 mm of rear travel by using a 210x55 metric shock and limiting rear tire clearance to 29x2.40". The longer shock allows the rear wheel to move closer to the seat tube at bottom-out so you lose some tire clearance.

We'd put the Pistola up against any 140/140 bike and expect it to be faster on the descents even with a little less rear travel. Our bikes across the board punch well above their weight class when you get them up to speed.

·
Registered
414 Posts
The Trail Pistol has 120 mm of rear travel by using a 210x50 metric shock with 29x2.60" tire clearance.

The Pistola bumps this up to 130 mm of rear travel by using a 210x55 metric shock and limiting rear tire clearance to 29x2.40". The longer shock allows the rear wheel to move closer to the seat tube at bottom-out so you lose some tire clearance.

We'd put the Pistola up against any 140/140 bike and expect it to be faster on the descents even with a little less rear travel. Our bikes across the board punch well above their weight class when you get them up to speed.
Can the DPX2 that you offer be converted to 210x55 with the removal of a spacer?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Hmmm, could I cheat and use an eccentric bushing on the shock? One bushing should give me 5mm more clearance. Would raise the BB by an additional 5mm, but I like to run a bit more sag than usual, so might work out.

·
I like goin' fast
110 Posts
Can the DPX2 that you offer be converted to 210x55 with the removal of a spacer?
Nope. You have to send the DPX2 back to Fox for service to change the stroke, and they advise against it since there are different damper tunes on each stroke length. If you want a 210x55 shock on a new Pistola build, let us know and we can include it instead of the standard shock.

Hmmm, could I cheat and use an eccentric bushing on the shock? One bushing should give me 5mm more clearance. Would raise the BB by an additional 5mm, but I like to run a bit more sag than usual, so might work out.
That would be possible but eccentric shock bushings have a tendency to rotate in use so we wouldn't recommend it for longterm use. Have you looked into The Smash? It might be more inline with what you want out of a bike. 145 mm rear travel with clearance for a 29x2.50".

·
I like goin' fast
110 Posts
What about doing this for the Smash? 230x65 rear shock for 155 travel? Seems like the same principle
Not possible. Our bikes are tire limited by clearance to the seat-tube at bottom-out. The Smash is limited to a 29x2.5 with the 230x60 shock because that's what gives a safe amount of bottom-out clearance. With smaller 27.5 wheels we can run a longer stroke shock for more travel.

This was also one of the primary determinants for Plush Mode and Crush Mode so you can have two different ride qualities out of the bike rather than being able to add travel a la the Megatrail's Trail Mode and Gravity Mode.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.