Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Banned
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What should one do when approaching another rider on a flat section of single track? Who has the right away in this situation?

What if you and another rider are ridding towards each other on a really narrow piece of trail?

Who decides to stop their flow and let the other rider by. What if you pull off the trail and get a flat letting him by? Is that his fault?

I think the trails just need to widened a little. It would make this whole situation easier.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Maybe I'm just rude but I'll give a "trail left or trail right" a couple of times and if no results alls fair, let the elbows fly, But if the passee is obviously a newbee courtesy always. Head on, the uphill rider has the right of way. A flat ??? fate I guess.

·
Master Gardener
1,347 Posts
If we're talking about coming upon an approaching rider, I will gladly stop and give them room to pass me, if they don't beat me to the kind gesture.

If we're talking about me coming up on someone I'm moving faster than... I've never had someone not pull over to let me pass without me having to ask.

If we're talking about someone coming up on me who is moving faster than me, I've never had an issue with moving over to let them pass.

I don't understand why this is an issue for so many people. I've never been on a ride so important that it justified me being rude to another trial user.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I don't understand the right of way for climbers thing. It's harder to stop a bike at speed going downhill and it seems most people realize this as they allow me to pass 99% of the time. I also wear headphones whenever I ride solo.

·
Registered
180 Posts
If the trail is wide enough I use the "right, left rule". If not I stop and of course uphill rider always rules.
I don't see any folks wear ear buds around here.
One thing Velokid forgot to mention was he has never had someone catch up to him from behind.

·
dirt visionary
6,522 Posts
Who care's just stop or ride and PLEASE don't widen the trails.

Hell I was climbing Geronimo yesterday when a group of 5 xc'ers gave no right away to the DH guy pedaling up with a load on his back . I had to stop for each one of them . I was clearly working hard pedaling up and I had to get out of the zone just to let them go by at 10mph if that .But I am not on here starting a thread about it ranting.

This thread needs a CJ hijacking

·
Just Joshin' ya!
1,981 Posts
clockwork said:

Hell I was climbing Geronimo yesterday when a group of 5 xc'ers gave no right away to the DH guy pedaling up with a load on his back . I had to stop for each one of them . I was clearly working hard pedaling up and I had to get out of the zone just to let them go by at 10mph if that .But I am not on here starting a thread about it ranting.

I'll be honest, if I am climbing, I won't yield the trail. I just keep my head down and I keep hustling. If I run someone on the DH off the trail, so be it. They should know the rules.....but I'm a *Richard,* ask anyone I ride with.

·
Banned
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
clockwork said:

We have specific rules and regulations dealing with passing on uphill and downhill sections of single track. We dont have any regulations in place when this happens on the flats. How about a directional 2 lane trail system.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.