Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a garmin edge touring plus, thinking that it would have trail maps as it has mountain bike routing options. As it turns out the included maps are only street maps.

Does anyone now where I could get a good set of trail maps for orange county california? Up to now I had been using my cellphone with an app, and the app has the trails, not sure why garmin doesn't.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,715 Posts
There is a laundry list of why the trails are not listed. In short, someone has to list them. Many of the cellphone apps "crowdsource" trail additions from data submissions.

Garmin's maps don't work that way.

That said, the Edge Touring Plus uses OSM maps. There should be SOME kind of documentation about loading maps somewhere. YOU can add bike trails to OSM maps. OSM crowdsources everything, but has fewer people submitting data than you're used to.

You can also use GPSFileDepot - Free Custom Garmin Maps, Ximage hosting, tutorials, articles and more for your GPSr. The MyTrails layer works great for the eastern half of the country. It's a layer with nothing but trails on it. They are not routable. Routable mtb trails on the GPS are dangerous because trails are very impermanent features and are frequently closed and rerouted. Maps on your GPS are at the mercy of update frequency.

Put a good quality topo map on it and be happy, is my suggestion. If you find a trail layer for the location you ride, then great.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can kind of understand that trails are not permanent, but when google maps have them, and the gps apps on the phones have them, it kind of makes the garmin experience second class. The only thing the garmin has going for it is battery life and a better gps receiver.

I can get most of the rides out here from Geoladders, but it sure would have been great to actually see the trails on the display.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was able to load opencyclemaps onto a garmin etrex, assuming the edge won't be too different? Google is your friend..

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

·
since 4/10/2009
31,715 Posts
I can kind of understand that trails are not permanent, but when google maps have them, and the gps apps on the phones have them, it kind of makes the garmin experience second class. The only thing the garmin has going for it is battery life and a better gps receiver.

I can get most of the rides out here from Geoladders, but it sure would have been great to actually see the trails on the display.
Google and the various gps apps have them because they crowdsource that stuff. In my area google has very few trails because nobody has added them. Garmin allows you to upload all kinds of additional map data onto mapping receivers. The tools are out there for you to create your own, too. Some of the layers out there have outstanding trails databases. It is not garmin's fault you failed to use the available resources.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts