Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I'm Riding It
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tips on how to make a trail.
There is a nice hill by my town with only grass on it. I know it wouldn't be illegal to just make a little dirt trail through it for doing the hill.
I was just wondering how to make a trail.
Help is aprreciated. :confused:

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
Just attended the IMBA seminar when they came to town last week. Highly recommended! I'm sure you can check their website for more info.

It's not as simple as cutting a dirt path, either: You need to consider the % grade of the hill, how to allow for drainage, prevent erosion, etc. Challenging but satisfying when done correctly, a bit of an art form!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Permission, then fun

I, like all of the other posters, would emphatically stress that you get permission from the landowner to build trails on the land. After that is all said and done I would suggest gettings IMBA's Trail Building Guide Book, the mentioned it in MBA a couple months back and it looked pretty in depth and cool to have even if you don't build trails haha. It would really be a good idea to have some sort of proffesional guidance, just think how much it would suck to have two months of hard work washed away with the first big rain storm.

·
Registered
35 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
better to beg for forgiveness then ask for permission
Uhh, what? And we wonder why trails get closed and mountain bikers get a bad wrap.

I don't think that it can be stressed enough that before you ever put shovel to dirt you need to get permission. Don't forget the big picture either. Your asking for permission may very well lead to the opportunity to develop an entire system of trails. I've had just that experience with the trail system I am lucky enough to call home. The trails are part of a city park that has now become a destination for riders all over MN. The permission we sought from the city turned into a 10 mile trail sytem with approved teeter totter, log ramps, and an upcoming bridge across a ravine! The city is even planning on providing the lumber for the bridge and gave us the lumber for the teeter!

Take the time to get the permission and your efforts could pay off in a huge way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.