Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I'm feeling dirty, you?
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty keen to haul some tools to my local trail for some trail maintenance.
The weather lately here has been rainy and it seems that branches from trees have been cut by unknown person/s to block the trail (what a d!ckhead).

What tools can I fit in my biggest CamelBak, a older Ventoux almost the same as the 2004 model:
- A collapsable spade
- what else?

And what can I wrap the tools with so as to not hacking my CamelBak to death from the inside out?

Should I consider panniers?

·
uofabill
213 Posts
Here's a couple ideas,

As far as a saw goes, I have used a Coughlins Sierra Saw for years. For the money they are the best deal out there. They cost about $10, the blade is replaceable. They fold to about 8" long and are really light. They cut on the pull back. You can cut a pretty big branch with one, at least 4" maybe 5".One feature they have is that the thickness of the blade tapers from the teeth to the back so that as you cut through wood the blade rarely binds.
There are some knockoffs out there but don't get suckered in by them they have an inferior tooth pattern and they blade isn't tapered. Cabelas has the real thing think, also Campmor.
Home Depot and Lowes carry a pruning saw made by Corona that is similar but somewhat bigger than the Sierra Saw and more expensive. It is a quality saw as well but costs quite a bit more.
The IMBA website recommends some tools and one is a Glock folding shovel. Which I also have and it is very good for it's size. It folds up small and is pretty light. It has a telescoping handle and a quality metal blade. I may not fit "into" a camelback or hydration pack but can be tied to the outside with cord. Again there are some cheap immitations out there and they're no good. The blades are soft and will bend under very little stress.
The Glocks are kind of hard to find, I did a search and found on on-line somewhere. I've never seen one in a store anywhere. If you can find one they're a quality tool not cheap though, I think around $50. The truth is you can't do a great deal of trail work with these small tools. Maybe smooth off the edge of a drop into a creek crossing.
When I want to do serious trail work I take tools, mcloed, pickaxe, and shovel, in a BOB trailer. There is also info on the IMBA website how to rig up a BOB to haul tools. That works well.

·
horizontally compliant
360 Posts
folding shovel, folding saw, pruners, & leather gloves all fit in my blow-fish.

Carry the pruners inside one of the gloves so that they don't gouge your camelbak (or your kidneys). Carry a bottle of stout inside the other glove, in case you get thirsty OR hungry :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.