Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wildfire, Charlie the dog, Kathi M and I rode the trail from Pt. Mc Kenzie to the confluence of the Big Su and Yentna rivers. Trail was a little bit of everything including some good Fat Bike riding that was a bit punchy for Kathi's snowcats and 2.25's . She rode most of it anyway. We spent the night on the river testing and checking out winter gear. Wildfires new secret weapon for sleeping comfy and his Surly tires worked well. Was probably -25 over night and -7 when we got back to the parking lot. One of the highlights was watching Charlie kick Wildfire out of bed this morning and crawl in himself. The river ice is good and there has been some snowmachine traffic. We saw 1 snowmachiner when we came out and none yesterday. Word from up the river is good trail all the way to Skwentna. Wildfire took some pictures maybe he will post some later.
Bill M

·
This place needs an enema
16,926 Posts
Thanks for the vicarious 'experience', Bill. Glad it was you (and not me) getting out of the bag at -25, though...

Is Mark's secret weapon of a reddish color, and with four feet?

Is Kathi on her new bike already?

Oh yeah--Pat, did I hear you were planning to live in America this winter?

??

Do tell.

Raining at the moment, but sounds like it's turning to snow. Our first of the year...

Good weekend, y'all.

MC

·
FatBike Fiend
974 Posts
Ride photos

Here's a few pictures. Sorry all photos of the secret weapon had to be deleted but it does not involve a canine for auxilary heat, though at -25 that is not a bad idea. Being a temper-mental redhead, he brought his own tent and sleeping bag anyway. Darn.

Wildfire

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mikesee said:
Thanks for the vicarious 'experience', Bill. Glad it was you (and not me) getting out of the bag at -25, though...

Is Mark's secret weapon of a reddish color, and with four feet?

Is Kathi on her new bike already?

Oh yeah--Pat, did I hear you were planning to live in America this winter?

??

Do tell.

Raining at the moment, but sounds like it's turning to snow. Our first of the year...

Good weekend, y'all.

MC
Hey Mike I have a secret weapon for getting out of the bag at -25 too but it has two legs, blonde hair and knows how to build a fire. I have got Kathi's frame just have to pick up a few parts and put it together now. She should really float with her new 5 inch fat tires.
Bill

·
16,926 Posts
Bill M said:
Hey Mike I have a secret weapon for getting out of the bag at -25 too but it has two legs, blonde hair and knows how to build a fire.
Dood! I gots ta git me one a them...

Bill M said:
I have got Kathi's frame just have to pick up a few parts and put it together now.
Details, please--I probably have what you need.

Bill M said:
She should really float with her new 5 inch fat tires.
Huh? 5"? MORE details please...

Just in from a sunset hike on the first snow of the season. Only 2-3" down here in town, but 18"+ overnight on the Mesa. More expected tonight...

MC

·
16,926 Posts
Wildfire said:
How about 10 inches! I built this baby back in the day...1998, I think. 55 lbs of luxury snow cruiser with full suspension and reclino seating. Unfortunately it was abducted by aliens and is no more.

Wildfire
Yup, 1998. I've got pics of you and that...

...thing...

...at the start of the 350 that year. Always wondered how you got it to turn. Magic? Are you sure it was a bad thing that the aliens took it?

Other unconventional things that showed up at that race:
-Trailers (Stamstad and his wheel + ski B.O.B.)
-Media (well, if you could call it that...)
-Dawes Wilson (pretty much the definition of unconventional)
-Ski-jorers (my first exposure to them, anyway...)
-Fairings (see above, "Dawes", and below pic)
-Creative routefinding, especially from the start, and a tradition of old guys (Gil and Bill anyway) upstaging the younger critters. Yes, Bill, I just called you old...
-The all-night drunk-snowmachine-race at the Little Su campout. 'Nuff said.

What have I missed?

MC

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Old Guys

mikesee said:

...thing...

...at the start of the 350 that year. Always wondered how you got it to turn. Magic? Are you sure it was a bad thing that the aliens took it?

Other unconventional things that showed up at that race:
-Trailers (Stamstad and his wheel + ski B.O.B.)
-Media (well, if you could call it that...)
-Dawes Wilson (pretty much the definition of unconventional)
-Ski-jorers (my first exposure to them, anyway...)
-Fairings (see above, "Dawes", and below pic)
-Creative routefinding, especially from the start, and a tradition of old guys (Gil and Bill anyway) upstaging the younger critters. Yes, Bill, I just called you old...
-The all-night drunk-snowmachine-race at the Little Su campout. 'Nuff said.

What have I missed?

MC
Oh the joys of that sleepless, noisy night!!! ------ and all that creativity Those were the days when I could still build my own fires to warm up those younger critters.
Sorry Wildfire for spilling the beans about the big tires!!
Gotta go ride before my little boss has a fit.
Old Guy

·
Registered
136 Posts
After looking at that fairing i finally feel less embarrassed about strapping a dry bag to my bike big enough to fit a seal in from the cook inlet.

Wildfire
Im so happy i waited till 2004 before i bought a bike from you.Calling it the E bike wasnt anything to do with any pills you may have been taking at the time? it would explain alot.

·
FatBike Fiend
974 Posts
I was perfectly coherant...

It was just the voices in my head that made me build it. Steering was easy, you just stopped, got off the bike, and pointed it in a new direction, no problems there. What the hell was I even thinking! Man did I get weird looks from snowmachiners! I'm sure it caused the decline of an alien civilization somewhere.

Originally Posted by mikesee

...thing...

·
Registered
940 Posts
America will have to wait

Vicious rumors, Mike, vicious rumors.....
With trails like these, who wants to leave? But 2 weeks in the desert would do wonders.
Adam and I did the Knik Glacier ride on Sat on fat bikes and had a blast. A long, slow, slogging blast. Trail is great.
Hope to see you guys out on the course soon.....
P

·
Beware of Doggerel
665 Posts
next phase?

I know I have a gear/bike/geek problem when I look at that recumbent and say to myself …wow that seems like the coolest idea ever… then I read the later post on how it steers and think to myself …seems reasonable, not too bad, where can I get one… but deep down I know its wrong.

Too bad you don't still have it, because what it needs, in my opinion, is a jet engine. Vision Recumbent put a Kerosene burning jet engine on the back of a non-snow recumbent. Here's a link to some video of that monster

http://www.outsideconnection.com/gallant/hpv/vision/

In looking at the ultrasport web page it seems there are a lot of records listed there. Maybe in a few years I'll take a stab at the …Jet Powered Full Suspension, front ski, Recumbent Record, but since it (the jet powered full suspension recumbent of my dreams) has a motor would I have to run with the Iron Dogs?

Adam

·
FatBike Fiend
974 Posts
Stop! Do not heed the voices!

Take it from me...don't go there. I'd have to check with BillM but a jet engine may be frowned upon by the race organizers. It would sure cut down on wheel-sucking drafters, though. Was planning on toodling up to the Knik Glacier later this week but you guys beat me to it. Any problems with open water? How much snow? Was there a trail broke in all the way? Any photos? Do tell...

Wildfire

·
Beware of Doggerel
665 Posts
Wildfire said:
Take it from me...don't go there. I'd have to check with BillM but a jet engine may be frowned upon by the race organizers. It would sure cut down on wheel-sucking drafters, though. Was planning on toodling up to the Knik Glacier later this week but you guys beat me to it. Any problems with open water? How much snow? Was there a trail broke in all the way? Any photos? Do tell...

Wildfire
Trail was fair to good. We saw some 4x4 who said that there was more snow than usual because the wind had not been blowing out the valley. Only one open water crossing and that was no big deal. This was my first winter trip back that way. We parked at the bridge, but there was no trial in from the bridge. So we rode the roads to the trailhead past the dragstrip and went in that way. There hasn't been a lot of traffic out there, but the first bit to the river was like a highway. Once we hit the river all the motor types spread out and the packed trail gradually faded out. We stayed on the river close to the shore for most of the ride. Eventually the packed trail left the river and headed up into the hills to the left. We stayed on the packed trail, never made it to the glacier but had a really nice ride. Pat was in charge of photography for the day so he may have some pics.

Pat rode his Pugs and I was on "little Ray" so there were fat tires all around and everything was ridable.

·
FatBike Fiend
974 Posts
Thanks for the info...

Looks like we are in for a thaw but that can make the Knik Glacier ride very do-able providing it freezes hard again. Here's a pic of CarlHutch from a couple years ago on the way up to the glacier. Will try later this week and see how it is if anyone is interested in going.

Wildfire

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.