Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got up this morning to see that we had received 4-1/2 inches of rain in the past two days, yesterday was spent tinkering around the house so today was the day to ride, rain or shine. Having spent years and hundreds of hours building and maintaining the trails in Auburn, I generally don't ride if it has rained recently, something I wish more folks would practice, but in reality the only behavior I can control is my own so I set out on my usual rainy day route.

This ride takes me down to the Middle fork at Ruck-a-Chucky and back up to the FDLT at Drivers Flat, a nice 2.5 mile 1400' grunt on a really nicely graded rd, done just this year! From here it is out on to Foresthill Rd. and up to Ponderosa Rd. for a rollicking decent down to the North Fork. This is a particularly pretty stretch of the river, popular with kayakers in the spring time.
I passed up the chance to go to Codfish Falls expecting that they are still a bit dry and headed up the road to the top of the climb at Canyon Way near HWY 80. As I crested the hill and came to the paved section of the Rd. it decided to just dump on me, I was soaked in a matter of minutes!
From here you can hop on the frontage Rd. of the East bound railroad tracks and bypass a little bit of pavement around the town of Weimar(although there is a nice mini market in Weimar:thumbsup: ) This Rd takes you to the top of Yankee Jim's Rd. and back down to the North Fork. This stretch of Rd. was really full of color and had a bunch more water flowing in the creeks, further into Winter every nook and cranny has a waterfall in it, which can be really spectacular.

As I headed back up to the town of Foresthill I decided to take the left turn up Shirttail Canyon. This is a beautiful backwoods dirt Rd. that takes you up to the town of Iowa Hill, they don't much appreciate boys in Lycra in Iowa Hill so I turned around at the top of the hill after downing my tasty PB&J in a light rain shower. After a great decent back to Yankee Jim's Rd I headed up the 2000' climb back to Foresthill, Yankee Jim's is paved the last 4 miles to town which was a nice reprieve for my stiffening back.
Foresthill was a hub of activity today, must have been a big wedding going on at the Forest House, lost of folks in nice clothes running hurriedly around in the light showers, a stark contrast to my mud covered body.
I hit all the local secret stash on the way back home and hit the back deck just as my wife was finishing up on the trainer, feeling like a 10 year old who played in the mud all day,I stuck my tongue out at her as I passed just to let her know she missed out on a terrific day.
All in all a great day, 4-1/2 hours and 52 miles, about 45 miles of dirt Rds, about 7-8 of pavement and some seldom used trails that will never know I passed.

Here's the GPS info. This ride is totally doable any time of year, but it is particularly nice in the Winter time, generally the roads are in excellent shape and hold up super well to water. The waterfalls can be some of the best I have ever seen along the side of the a dirt rd.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7086465

Attachments

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,680 Posts
Dude, you got some serious thrill issues man!

I've been staring at the google map of your route...holy cow. What a ride!

·
Coastal Rider
197 Posts
Ride on Sean!

Thanks for the great ride report and photos. Who knows maybe it will motivate some to find alternatives to riding muddy trails.
After spending a few hours cleaning debris from water drains on the Mendo Woodlands trails yesterday three motorcycles came up the trail roosting the corners. Made me wonder why bother. Think I'll go ride some roads!
Chris

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually John...

jms said:
Nice ride and great pictures Sean! Somehow, I foresee this kind of stuff leading to some serious "beatdowns" @ the races next year.
It's almost the opposite, had I been training as I have in the past, there is no way I would be stopping and taking pictures. Don't know what it is going to do to my training plan, but right now there is no training plan, just riding for the pure joy of it. My best guess is I will be a bit slower and a bit happier, a good trade off as far as I am concerned. All I know is that I feel a lot healthier because of it.

No way I hit 50 mph anywhere out there, probably just the GPS losing signal in the trees somewhere. I rarely hit 50 on my road bike and that scares the crap out of me:eekster:

This route is going to be part of an Enduro race in the coming months, this route plus this little loop. http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/6985057 This first drop and climb are redundant, beyond that it will be unchanged.
Going to be tough mother......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.