Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to try out the new bike next Friday - taking a trip up north and will probably be riding about 3 hours. Thinking about taking PB & J or PB & Honey sandwich, bananas? Got the other essentials, first aid kit, tubes, tools, inflator, beverages. Anything else I should bring?

·
1,535 Posts
3 hours isn't too long. shouldn't need too much food.

for longer (5+ hr) rides i'll usually pack a banana, peanut butter & honey sandwich, and 2-3 cliff bars (oatmeal raisin is my favorite) or those cliff mojo trailbix bars (peanut butter kind is my choice).

other odds an ends i'll pack: $10, cellphone, headlamp.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I go with trail mix that contains some chocolate, raisins, and different types of nuts. If you want a cheap but great energy bar, carry a snickers with you.

I rely upon gels only when racing so that you have to eat while riding intensely. In that situation I think they really make sense.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. I've got the cellphone. I've been saying I'm going to get a headlamp. I've never tried any of the Cliff bars. The granola bars I like are the Sweet & Salty Peanut or Cashew. :thumbsup:

·
Hardtail Warrior
508 Posts
You are definitely carrying too much stuff for a 3 hour ride. I would try to lighten the load as much as possible.

I agree with pretty much everyone else but I would recommend staying away from the granola bars. Read the box for those things. They are extremely unhealthy. I know it isn't a super healthy alternative either but a Clif bar is much better. I always bring 2 with me and usually use 1. The best natural healthy energy food ever is nuts. Any kind of nuts. Almonds, cashews, peanuts, sunflower seeds, trail mix, etc. If you want to eat healthy on the trail and you want a good burst of energy then there is no substitute.

·
Registered
782 Posts
If you're trying to lose weight/get in shape I wouldn't eat during a three hour ride. Maybe a fruit (orange always hits the spot) or energy gel at the midpoint just for kicks.

You really have to RIDE in order for your body to deplete it's stores. And if you're a newbie on the trails your lack of conditioning will get you long before your lack of calories.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, yes I do need to lose weight - about 30-40 lbs. So maybe I'll just bring some fruit and trail mix. I've never tried the Cliff bars - I've seen some at Target - they are smaller than the other bars - are there more than 1 kind of Cliff bar? What is everyone's favorite flavor?

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
84,163 Posts
I always bring one P&J sammy and one or two protein bars and a protein gel pack or two. A camelback half to three quarters full of water and you're good to go. By the way Cliff bars suck IMO and I can get them for free and I don't bother. I personally like LUNA bars of all flavors but chocolate and pecan is my favorite. Harvest bars are also good.

·
84,163 Posts
trek7100 said:
One question - can I freeze my camelbak? I like my water cold - how do you keep your water cold?
Drain "almost" all of it and then freeze it [keep it in the freezer] between rides. I have done it this way for many years and have the best of both worlds. No bacteria build up and a nice little ice cube at the bottom for my next ride. The water stays cool for quite awhile depending on how hot it is.

·
Registered
782 Posts
If you need to lose 30-40 lbs. on a 3 hour ride avoid eating altogether. Like I said maybe a fruit. Those mixes and granola bars have a lot of calories and sugar in them. Eating lots of sugar while you work out only keeps you burning sugar. It's only after you deplete the sugar stores that your body goes into long term energy mode and starts converting fat. You'll lose faster that way. Just work your way up slowly. I doubt a newbie can do 3 hrs. easily, but hey good luck!

Cold water is overrated. Cramps. A frozen Camelback will be locked solid. No sucky sucky. You could toss an ice gelpack thingy into the backpack. It should transfer enough into the bladder to keep your water cool.

·
84,163 Posts
Deme Moore said:
If you need to lose 30-40 lbs. on a 3 hour ride avoid eating altogether. Like I said maybe a fruit. Those mixes and granola bars have a lot of calories and sugar in them. Eating lots of sugar while you work out only keeps you burning sugar. It's only after you deplete the sugar stores that your body goes into long term energy mode and starts converting fat. You'll lose faster that way. Just work your way up slowly. I doubt a newbie can do 3 hrs. easily, but hey good luck!

Cold water is overrated. Cramps. A frozen Camelback will be locked solid. No sucky sucky. You could toss an ice gelpack thingy into the backpack. It should transfer enough into the bladder to keep your water cool.
I disagree with your Camelbak theory. I drain "almost" all of it out and then keep it in the freezer in-between rides. I have been doing this for years without a problem. Before each re-fill I run warm water over the tube and around the frozen bottom of the bladder. It only takes about a minute or two of warm water to loosen things up. Then I refill over top of the ice cube and I have cool water throughout my ride. And by keeping it in the freezer in-between rides I get no bacteria build up.

·
mtbr dismember
6,989 Posts
There is your answer

trek7100 said:
... I do need to lose weight - about 30-40 lbs.
There is your answer. That extra weight is stored energy and your body will not use it unless it is forced to. Long rides get your body used to burning fat. Unless you are racing for three hours you should not need any food. You might feel uncomfortable for a bit but that's because your body isn't used to it.

·
Surly OG
971 Posts
As a person who has lost 50lbs resulting from lifestyle changes from a heart attack..... not eating on a ride is not good.... you should be eating a little, a cliff bar will be fine. You want to lose the weight? Cut the fat - primarily saturated fats..... but to begin with, all fat is out. Zero, zilch, nada; less than 10grams a day - Lots of veggies, no starches, if your cholesterol is high.... no meat... no cheese... zero fat. Plant based diet.... Its tough to begin with but the pounds will disappear trust me. I was a chubby 220lb marathon runner / 24hr Adventure racer who thought I was a "fit but fat" 38 y.o. mtn biker who could eat with impunity. I go long and strong like a diesel, nothing but fuel around my gut, etc... not so.... I've got 4 stents to prove it. I weigh 170 now and am back to a small amount of fat in my diet.... Polyunsat / unsaturated fats, i.e. olive oil, canola oil, fish and chicken 1-2x a week. I treat my self on seldom occasions. I exercise 7 days a week 1hr aerobic minimum, weekend long rides / races / climbing / yoga etc... I mix it up and stay active, Dr's orders. My total Cholesterol is under 75 but even that is no guarantee. I'm 42 now.

The problem with long rides and training your body to burn fat for fuel is that when you put the fuel back in, it converts it to FAT.... the trick is intensity to lose the weight. 3 intense 1hr rides will yield better fat loss than a single 3hr ride, fact.

Put less calories in that you put out. Cut the fat... the weight will come off.

It's up to you.... make your choice. I've made mine.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.