Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
rider
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the issue: I have always thought that holding back a faster rider was one of the biggest sins out on the trails. I always let riders by that show up behind me suddenly. Been letting faster riders by for 20 years now.

Just about an hour ago I was carving some sweet smooth single track and I come up behind a non-serious rider on a shiny new bike (no helmet, no gloves, no h20 pack or bottle & ect.) After following this newb for a couple of hundred yards I ask: How about letting me by? Guy slams on the brakes and pulls a stoppie & makes a negative comment. I say "Thanks for letting me by man." as I pass by in the tiny amount of room that I had been given.

A little while later, while I'm cruzin' slow and yacking with my trail buddy, this guy catches up pulls in front of my path,cutting me off, and berates me for having poor trail ettiquite! Was very tempted to delete this person then and there. Managed to fight back the desire to do so.

Input on trail passing ettiquite please!

29erchico

·
Registered
804 Posts
road rager

I agree with you 100% - let the faster rider pass - no reason to hold 'em up.

Hate to see how this person handles himself in a car. Definitely has some issues.

·
Registered
168 Posts
29erchico said:
Here is the issue: I have always thought that holding back a faster rider was one of the biggest sins out on the trails. I always let riders by that show up behind me suddenly. Been letting faster riders by for 20 years now.

Just about an hour ago I was carving some sweet smooth single track and I come up behind a non-serious rider on a shiny new bike (no helmet, no gloves, no h20 pack or bottle & ect.) After following this newb for a couple of hundred yards I ask: How about letting me by? Guy slams on the brakes and pulls a stoppie & makes a negative comment. I say "Thanks for letting me by man." as I pass by in the tiny amount of room that I had been given.

A little while later, while I'm cruzin' slow and yacking with my trail buddy, this guy catches up pulls in front of my path,cutting me off, and berates me for having poor trail ettiquite! Was very tempted to delete this person then and there. Managed to fight back the desire to do so.

29erchico
You did right, but you already knew that! :D

Guy will be back on his horse next week telling everyone about "Those Mountain Bikers!" ;)

·
1,476 Posts
No offense to you please but"How about letting me by" sounds slightly rude.
I know i have been guilty of saying ruder things though.
I just make lots of noise when i come up on someone, when i get real close , i say, hey how ya doin?
I ride their back wheel real close for a lil bit letting them know they are not going to pull away.
If the person doesnt give it up than i find a pass and over take them when i get the chance.
But i dont expect anyone to slam to a stop to let me pass. That is wrong.

·
I already rode that
1,632 Posts
I'll let the faster rider pass but that rarely happens to me for some reason :D
I would also consider someone just trying to pass me along the trail just rude. I know if I hear someone behind me I'll ask them if they want to pass

In races if the person is in the sam cat as me I dont let them pass when they ask as some expect you to. I do let them pass when theres a spot I can move aside without slowing down too much then letting them by ( I usually pass them soon after anyways) . If its another person in another cat trying to pass then Ill let them pass (again without slowing down or stopping for them)

Just slowing them down just because you are infront of them is just rude.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Even though I've done as you many a time, I do find that some people get a bit unnerved if you follow on their wheel without saying something, so I'd suggest saying hello as soon as possible first of all and asking to let you pass as soon as he/she sees a good spot (and if they pass the good spot then I take charge and just say on your left/right as I find the next good spot). Who knows what he was thinking as you followed him, maybe it just scared him...

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
It's all in the delivery

First off, I agree, yield to faster riders at the first feasible opportunity.

I'm sure you were courteous in your approach, but I've found that it's all in the choice of words and delivery. The phrase "How about letting me by?" unfortunately can be interpreted as being sarcastic (even though you would have been in the right is being sarcastic :rolleyes: ). I like the thought of just saying "hello" or something else to make the rider aware of your presence. Noobs don't necessarily understand trail etiquette, so I'd say give them some slack and wait to see if they offer to move out of the way. If they don't, just wait for an opportunity and give them the old "passing on the left" and zip past them. A couple of incidents like this, and the noob should finally "get it".

Tough situation you were put in. I'd have taken the opportunity when you were stopped and talking to your friend to flag the guy down and nicely explain what trail etiquette is all about. Their reaction would speak volumes.

Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
150 Posts
What an immature rider

-This must be that same guy driving in the left-hand lane that won't get out of the way on the highway!

·
SALLGUD
449 Posts
"When you get a chance, I'd like to slide by" is my standard, and it works nearly every time. Also, you can usually tell a lot about how the person is going to react by watching them as you come up on them.

I have only come across one JA who wouldn't let me by, so once an opening showed up, I just used "On your left" as I eased by.

Michael

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
29erchico said:

29erchico
You did absolutely nothing wrong.

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
bung said:
I always let faster riders pass. The guy was obviously an *******.
agreed, this guy is a (&*^*%*((&)*&)(*&^%%^%er.

There is no reason to ever hold up a fellow rider on recretaional riding. Ever. Period.

Even in a race, it's bad form to hold up a faster rider...especially if not in your class, and it's just bad sportsmanship to hold up someone IN your class...

I can "feel your pain" with respect to the desire to "delete" the individual on the spot. Luckily with him being so STOOPID and not even wearing a helmet, he may just delete himself....kindof a Darwinian thing..

·
Registered
79 Posts
"Beautiful day isn't it?" is my usual way of implying "I am behind you and would really like to pass your goofy a$$."

Ah, nothing like a "non serious newb" to make use feel how righteous we really are.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Lotusfinger said:
"Beautiful day isn't it?" is my usual way of implying "I am behind you and would really like to pass your goofy a$$."
I don't think you did anything wrong, but I like LF's casual approach. If they don't get the hint in about 5 seconds, then I ask to pass. I got stuck behind some hikers last week who totally ignored my friendly requests to get by for about a minute. Trail was plenty wide, but they insisted on walking side by side. Really ticked me off, but what're you gonna do? Some people are just jerks. Be glad you only have to spend a few seconds with them.

·
Wizard of the Trail
912 Posts
Hey Guys,
you can't expect a non serious guy to use trail ettiquite. If he has no idea how to ride, how do you expect him to know what is proper. The guy doesn't even have a helmet on man! I always let the faster guys pass, but I ride alot and know better. This guy probably is a weekend warrior killing some time. IMHO, you did nothing wrong, just don't expect a whole lot from a poser on the trail.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.