Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'll try to keep this brief and clarify if needed later.. FTC, Maxwell downhill behind hughes, couple bridges, hard left, launch, fast right hander.

I take the hard left fast and look down trail for others, theres a rider coming up, I tap the brakes, but it looks like he's track standing off to the side below the little launch. I want to hit it hard....if you're the track-stander dude do you

A) stop climbing, balance and wait for me to launch, or

B) keep climbing, ignore uphill rider-trail protocol says the downhill rider should yield..

The dude yielded to me and I hollered a "thank you" as I whizzed by, but I wasn't sure it was the right thing to do.

I feel like whenever possible I try to make a clear right of way for the downhill rider when climbing without stopping even if it means veering "to edge of trail" (per lidarmans comments and my laziness). How many of you share this philosophy?

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
I think this is a troll post and given the time of night you could be drunk posting and laughing about it.
Otherwise, your trail philosophy is goofy. You don't veer off trail to accommodate DH riders--Period! You shouldn't veer off trail in any circumstances.

If you are riding up and feel the need to yield, no problem.

It's simple. DH yields to UH and if you are sentimental to the DH and are riding up and want to let them go, do it. But stay on trail.

I'm not sentimental to DH since I ride up and down. So if you are coming down while I'm riding up, you won't be getting a break from me for your silly hit. Waiting for an uphill rider to pass to make your hit won't change anything except you won't have an audience to see you hit it.

Is that was this is all about, your ego? Wanting to show off your launch?

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
If I'm already stopped for whatever reason then I would wait for the DH rider to pass, but normal etiquette is for DH to yeild to UH no matter how much fun the DH rider is having "bombing and flowing".

It might be hard for some to imagine, but there are lots of folks who actualy enjoy and have fun climbing.

·
The Notorious S.L.O
1,106 Posts
Normally

I let the standard UH right of way rules govern my behavior, but if I am stopped or get hung up on the climb, I will wave the DH rider on.
Consistent behavior allows us to have a idea of what is going to happen next, eliminating guessing that could lead to a mishap.

As just a plain old mountain biker, one who enjoys the UH as much, sometimes more than the DH, I view the occasional interruption on the DH, just part of the ride, sometimes the "flow" is interrupted, sometimes it is not.
I guess I expected everyone else to have a similar outlook as they are on the DH.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Seriously douch bag stop for all up hill traffic! Go to a [email protected] resort if you want to flow endlessly without up hill interuption. This is comming from a SERIOUS DH racer whom allso earns his turns a few days a week!

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
nca777 said:
Biggest BS term used by ANYONE going downhill and b!tching about uphill riders. If you can't get your "flow" :)rolleyes:) back on after a brief stop to allow uphill traffic to pass, you aren't the rider you think you are. Nothing personal, just my own complaint about the term "flow".

$ally Hu$tle said:
but you would be a complete d!ck if you got back on and started riding UH if you saw the DH rider comin...
Agreed.

·
slow
7,796 Posts
That section is very short and visibility is long so you can look well in advance of the section to see if someone is coming across the meadow. You have to scrub some speed coming into that left anyway, so it makes sense to just stop and wait at the top of the run in. Even when stopped, the approach allows for enough speed for a good launch from a standing start.

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,453 Posts
jugdish said:
Biggest BS term used by ANYONE going downhill and b!tching about uphill riders. If you can't get your "flow" :)rolleyes:) back on after a brief stop to allow uphill traiffic to pass, you aren't the rider you think you are. Nothing personal, just my own complaint about the term "flow".
I personally think the whole mt bike "scene" was much better before the word "flow" was ever used to describe ANYTHING associated with riding.

IMO it has run its course.

Kind of like neon green jerseys.

:D

·
Registered
102 Posts
Oh, the trail etiquette thread is always going to raise some hairs.

DH should always yield to UH. However, if I'm the UH rider taking a break or get bumped off line on a tech section I will wave a DH rider through as a courtesy. The term "flow" can relate to both UH and DH. I've been knocked off my UH flow by inconsiderate DH riders. Also, it's much easier to re-establish that flow when going DH.

The one thing everyone needs to keep in mind is that we are participating in a sport that moves at high speed and even the most considerate riders can be caught off guard by UH traffic in blind corners, etc.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I guess this is a touchy issue, and I guess I knew it would be. It's amazing how emotional people on here are getting over a relatively trivial topic. In hindsight, I would have worded the post better so as not to sound "as" retarded.

I'm going to go ride my bike now.

·
1,534 Posts
downhill yield to uphill. as an uphill rider though, i'll regularly step aside for guys that are coming down just because i may need a break or i know how much fun it is to keep rolling instead of being slowed by uphill riders....however, that's always the uphill riders choice.

on a similar note. i was riding walker a month back or so, coming up the last climb as you're going counterclockwise. after you get out of the woods there's still 1/4 mile of moderate climbing to go before you can see the TH. anyways, i'm still in my little gear pedaling away, sweating my ass off, and this group of 3 riders comes (literally) coasting towards me. of course since i'm grinding my way uphill i except them to stop so i just keep going. the lead guy doesn't stop until he's about 3 feet from me...and he stays in the center of the singletrack which forces me to stop too. he says "downhill yields to uphill, man" as we pass, and i think i replied with something like "what the hell trail are you looking at" - wtf? how that guy thinks he's coasting uphill while i'm pedaling in a small gear downhill, i'll never know.

·
Registered
339 Posts
nca777 said:
I'll try to keep this brief and clarify if needed later.. FTC, Maxwell downhill behind hughes, couple bridges, hard left, launch, fast right hander.

I take the hard left fast and look down trail for others, theres a rider coming up, I tap the brakes, but it looks like he's track standing off to the side below the little launch. I want to hit it hard....if you're the track-stander dude do you

A) stop climbing, balance and wait for me to launch, or

B) keep climbing, ignore uphill rider-trail protocol says the downhill rider should yield..

The dude yielded to me and I hollered a "thank you" as I whizzed by, but I wasn't sure it was the right thing to do.

I feel like whenever possible I try to make a clear right of way for the downhill rider when climbing without stopping even if it means veering "to edge of trail" (per lidarmans comments and my laziness). How many of you share this philosophy?
rider going downhill yields. retard:)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Remember the days when it was cool (rare) to see another person out riding on the trails. Both riders would stop and BS.
I used to get worked up about this yielding stuff but i found that worrying about it kind of ruined my ride. Now i just plan on yielding all the time, unless the other person beats me to it. Its just less stressfull, and i'm out for the fun of it; not to prove a point.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.