Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just finished up with a backpacking trip to the Sups for an extended weekend. As like any other backpacking trip or cool season ride. I bring my best four legged pal and clean up (bury) his dook like any other self respecting pet owner on the trails. For me, it's simply about being responsible and having good etiquette.
My question is this - Why is it that horse folk don't get held to the same standard as all other pet owners? Especially concidering that of all the people using the trails, they are the only lazy butts that aren't lugging there own weight...
It seems that I am CONSTANTLY riding or hiking through horse crap and it is perfectly acceptable to the horse back community to lay waste on any trail and with no regard for others. There is nothing quite like peddeling up up hill while sucking up full lung capacity and pulling right up on the aroma of a fresh steamer.. Love it! I think it is time that these people become as considerate of the trails we share as we are and get off their stupid high horses.
I also think these people should be embarrased of their sheer laziness and have it pointed out to them.

Any ideas?

·
SamuraiBunnyGuy
2,587 Posts
a steamer would only occur if the outside air temperature were cold enough to cool the warm moist air immediately surrounding the pile to its dewpoint

·
dirt visionary
6,505 Posts
grabs popcorn

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yeah nothing really pisses me off more then trail poop in the middle of my line. It's disgusting reaky, and unplesent to the eye. So why is it acceptable?

·
Blood, Sweat, and Gears
226 Posts
This one always stumps me as well. You have to clean up after your dog but not your horse? they make catch bags to collect those Hay Biscuts. Personally I rather dodge the dog crap, it's smaller and usually in one pile!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seriously... I wasn't trying to get everyone bunched up. But I thought it would be cool if we found a way or two to call these people out a bit.

Steamer ='s anything with an odor to it.

·
Ridin bikes is fun
784 Posts
Maybe because it's biodegradable and good for the earth. Are you against things that are good for the earth?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So if it is so good for the earth. Why not get off their fat butt and pitch it into a tree or cactus that could use it? Seems all that smelly goodness is just lying in waste by that account.

Going to have to take another line on dog dook though. WAY worste to have dog dook on the tire!

·
Big B's Trails
1,762 Posts
If horse crap is biodegradable and ok then why isn't dog crap acceptable??
Isn't it also "biodegradable"?
Personally I really don't want either in the trail but it's never been that big of deal to ride around it just like any other obstacle...

·
Rhino
567 Posts
I ponder this exact same question all the time where I ride. My only thought is a horses diet consist primarily of hay, and maybe a few vegetables. Dog's diet contain animal by-products and filler materials. Horse dung usually breaks down in a matter of a day, even faster when a couple of bikers ride through it.

I ride through horse dung all the time, but will avoid dog feces at all cost.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We're getting away from the point I was starting off with. It's equally inconsiderate for horse people to leave their animals dook on the trail. Regardless of its make up, poop is poop. If it came out the ars end of something... it should be removed from the trail.

·
Rhino
567 Posts
AzTreky said:
We're getting away from the point I was starting off with. It's equally inconsiderate for horse people to leave their animals dook on the trail. Regardless of its make up, poop is poop. If it came out the ars end of something... it should be removed from the trail.
What about free ranging cattle? Should we make Cattle Ranchers be responsible for their animals droppings? Toughen up, bunny hop over these things. You may have a valid point, indicating that horse people are "lazy". I just don't see the big deal with horse, cattle, or wild animal droppings. Part of nature, but that is me growing up on a farm I guess.

*note - I don't own any horse, cattle or wild animals. I do owe a rigid SS and can bunny hop 4 inches :)

·
It's a slugfest!
742 Posts
Yes. I am concerned that members of the "No Clue Crew" might actually land backwards in the stuff.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Because we see so many "free range" cattle on our trails right... Nuts always fall close to the tree.

·
Registered
155 Posts
surfndav said:
Maybe because it's biodegradable and good for the earth. Are you against things that are good for the earth?
lol, just because it's good for the earth, it doesn't mean that I want to run over it and have it all over the back of my shorts and jersey!

I very much doubt that the amount of manure that ONE horse drops on a trail, and the volume of people that it negatively affects, is beneficial to much of anything.

Anyway, I started my ride by my house near Warpaint, and there was a horse trailer parked on the street. Their staging area, the bridge, had the scat of what must have been two horses about 10 feet from the road. Two huge piles accompanied by more here and there. Okay, let's say that horse crap is the stuff that Miracle Gro dreams of, does it serve any purpose on the dirt bridge area? They could strap a rear catch bag on the horse, or easily shoveled it back in the trailer since it has to be shoveled anyway. Anyway, I rode home down the street, grabbed some latex gloves, picked up a huge pile, and set it below the driver side door. Overkill, yes, but I'm sure that they didn't mind stepping around it seeing as how they expect others to do the same. :D Awwww yeah.

And seriously, how much fun can it be to ride a horse on Warpaint or DC?

·
Registered
531 Posts
nice. its been a while since we had a poop thread. was starting to think the AZ forum wasnt lame anymore. way to bring it back!

·
Registered
9 Posts
specifically, the reason why dog owners are required by law to pick up after their dogs is based upon the airborne transmission of diseases that can affect you and your dog. horses main diet is hey and other plant life and thus is mostly organic and their dropping do not pass on any airborne diseases. info came from my vet as well as the mounted police officers in downtown phoenix.

·
Registered
147 Posts
AZspeeding said:
lol, just because it's good for the earth, it doesn't mean that I want to run over it and have it all over the back of my shorts and jersey!

I very much doubt that the amount of manure that ONE horse drops on a trail, and the volume of people that it negatively affects, is beneficial to much of anything.

Anyway, I started my ride by my house near Warpaint, and there was a horse trailer parked on the street. Their staging area, the bridge, had the scat of what must have been two horses about 10 feet from the road. Two huge piles accompanied by more here and there. Okay, let's say that horse crap is the stuff that Miracle Gro dreams of, does it serve any purpose on the dirt bridge area? They could strap a rear catch bag on the horse, or easily shoveled it back in the trailer since it has to be shoveled anyway. Anyway, I rode home down the street, grabbed some latex gloves, picked up a huge pile, and set it below the driver side door. Overkill, yes, but I'm sure that they didn't mind stepping around it seeing as how they expect others to do the same. :D Awwww yeah.

And seriously, how much fun can it be to ride a horse on Warpaint or DC?
Those trails are for horses and hikers first. Since mountain bikers do trail work to earn the right to ride on the horse trails I should think that they wouldn't mind picking up a little poop. They should also be happy that we leave the dog poop in nice little blue bags for them.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts