Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be getting a dog within the next month. From a shelter, no akc pure breeds. I was just wondering what breeds people have had the most luck with as a trail dog. I was thinking of some of medium build, athletic, intelligent, and high energy. I also would like it to fetch, and all of that jazz. Border Collies, Austrailian Heelers and shephards, and possibly even retrievers(labs) first came to mind. Are there some other breeds that I am not thinking of? Post some pics of your trail dog. THanks

·
Registered
662 Posts
Labs dude

nuff said

I have 2 of them, and they are THE best dogs ever. And I like your idea of using a rescue to get one. Props to you

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a Rottweiler Mix from the local shelter here in Vancouver, he is a great
trail dog, loves to run down with me.

Only problem is he is now so excited when I get the bike, he becomes a jack
in the box and will not stop until we have reached the trail.

Lots O Fun!

·
Administrator
10,347 Posts
just a little warning:

DO NOT ride with your dog until it is at least 18-24 months old. Running them that hard prior to that age will greatly increase their future health problems and greatly decrease their lifespan. They are still growing at this age like a 12 year old human and the excessive pounding can crush their bone growth zones and create gigantic future bone problems and things like Hip displasia etc. This running is so stressful on their system that it WILL take years off their lifespan.

Just be logical. At 1 year they are approx. 7 human years. Would you take a 7 year old out and run 'em for 10 miles ? I doubt it. At 18 months- 2 years you are getting to have a teenage dog and their bodies are like teens, able to handle much more abuse with no repercussions.

if you can't wait this long then get an older dog and help it get into shape just like you would a fat buddy. Assume that the dog will be in bad condition and help it train to get to the point where it will make a good trail dog. Over exertion WILL kill a dog very quickly. They actually fry their brains since they only rely on their tongue and toe pads to cool themselves and the burden of overexertion is too much for this system and they die from the equivalent of too high of a fever in humans. Not pretty or pleasant, and more than likely you will get to watch this on the trail.

Just a friendly warning from one who has seen the repercussions of this.

·
eci
2,712 Posts
homepiece said:
I am going to be getting a dog within the next month. From a shelter, no akc pure breeds. I was just wondering what breeds people have had the most luck with as a trail dog. I was thinking of some of medium build, athletic, intelligent, and high energy. I also would like it to fetch, and all of that jazz. Border Collies, Austrailian Heelers and shephards, and possibly even retrievers(labs) first came to mind. Are there some other breeds that I am not thinking of? Post some pics of your trail dog. THanks

I have a Lab and a German short hair pointer and both rock for trail riding. My bud has a rhodesion ridgeback and that can keep up with us on dh trails. Also i saw a dood with a boxer and the dog was awesome.

Stay away from Herding dogs. (border coliies etc) They will knowck you over when your riding bc that is their natural instinct.

·
Registered
218 Posts
boxer's are great

I ride with my boxer all the time. It took him a while to get used to the trails but now he follows perfectly. He is two and it has taken him a few months to become a good trail dog. He never runs out of energy as long as he has water. He is a medium sized dog and is nothing but muscle at 65lbs. I know boxers aren't a typical "trail" dog but they are very loyal and listen very well. I have never had any problems with him on the trail and he has been on several road trips already.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts