Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this is already a thread I'm sorry, I did a few searches and didn't find anything and I think it's a great topic.

So let's see pictures of those trail dogs!

Mine's name is Roo, she's a 5 year old blue Heeler. Did a 12.5 mile ride with her the other day, when this was taken. Picture quality is poor, iPhone sucks at focusing. But I still like the pic.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Anyone have the link of the dog the jumped the gap handy?
It was popular a few months ago, I'd really like to see that again.

The one where the dog jumped a good 10 feet or so.

·
Tires
546 Posts
Does your dog just run along side you? My trail has signs everywhere that all pets must be on a leash, and I know they like to write tickets. Just wondering how you pull it off, as I'd love to take my dog with me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gritter said:
Does your dog just run along side you? My trail has signs everywhere that all pets must be on a leash, and I know they like to write tickets. Just wondering how you pull it off, as I'd love to take my dog with me.
The trails here in Austin are mostly off-leash areas except around the entrances, but it's not very heavily enforced even then.

·
Registered
448 Posts
chas_martel said:
Anyone have the link of the dog the jumped the gap handy?
It was popular a few months ago, I'd really like to see that again.

The one where the dog jumped a good 10 feet or so.
This one?

·
Ninja Master Powers
516 Posts
I'd love to take my Ridgeback with me. He'd love to run.

Just way too many rattle snakes and other bikers on the trails.
I's hate to see him get bitten or hit by a bike or run into another rider and either cause the rider to get hurt or get hurt himself.

While he would love it and I'd lime to have him with me; it's just not the responsible thing to do I don't think.

·
Registered
19 Posts

This is my hound Dutch. He is a 2 years old and fuuullll of energy. He loves to go to the trails with me. I choose to keep him on leash for a couple of reasons.
1- Its the law. 2- Haunting run ins from the past.

My friend and I were riding two years ago and came across a family hiking with a German Shepard and a mix of some sort. The lady said oh don't worry they don't bite just about the time the Shepard was latching on to my pals calf. I know that the majority of dogs off leash would do nothing but sniff and go about their business but I want to avoid any possible run ins.

I may not go very fast with him on leash but I enjoy the ride none the less.

·
Just Ride.
722 Posts
Great thread, theres no way I could take my dog with me. he would see an animal and be gone. haha. Not to mention snakes and ticks that would get him.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,390 Posts
Joel. said:
he would see an animal and be gone.
Yep, that's Jack for you. I took him a few times, he can run like the wind and it makes him so damn happy.

However, spending 6 heart wrenching hours (in a piece of land surrounded by roads and farmers with guns and cattle) looking for my dog who thought the deer that ran in front of him looked like a fun pal? That cured me of running him off leash.

He's lucky it took so long to find him, he'd likely be dead by my hand if I'd found him sooner ;)

Both my guys get a good long run on leash every morning on the local MUP, tires 'em out just the same.....

@ Mtn-Rider, does Whiskers keep his boots on the whole time? Impressive if so, we never could get those darn things to stay in place, they'd flip around upside down, flop off, etc. Great lookin' pup too!

Attachments

·
Registered
923 Posts
MendonCycleSmith said:
Yep, that's Jack for you. I took him a few times, he can run like the wind and it makes him so damn happy.

However, spending 6 heart wrenching hours (in a piece of land surrounded by roads and farmers with guns and cattle) looking for my dog who thought the deer that ran in front of him looked like a fun pal? That cured me of running him off leash.

He's lucky it took so long to find him, he'd likely be dead by my hand if I'd found him sooner ;)
I've got one dog that would do this and another that would feel the need to protect me from every other trail user, 2-legged or 4-legged, so they stay home. They love following me around when I'm riding in the backyard, though. That's taking the "catch me if you can" game to a whole new level!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
BenTX said:
If this is already a thread I'm sorry, I did a few searches and didn't find anything and I think it's a great topic.

So let's see pictures of those trail dogs!

Mine's name is Roo, she's a 5 year old blue Heeler. Did a 12.5 mile ride with her the other day, when this was taken. Picture quality is poor, iPhone sucks at focusing. But I still like the pic.

Ben,

You didn't recently go to Government Canyon in San Antonio did you :D

Nice looking Aussie Cattle dog, I had a room mate that had one... tough as nails, but not much of a trail dog back then

·
Give it a crank
2,995 Posts
MendonCycleSmith said:
@ Mtn-Rider, does Whiskers keep his boots on the whole time? Impressive if so, we never could get those darn things to stay in place, they'd flip around upside down, flop off, etc. Great lookin' pup too!
Thanks, the velcro on the booties keeps them on but occasionally one will come off if she tries to run too fast. Last week our group backtracked the route when one of the booties was missing and recovered it! It's bigger dogs that kick the booties off more easily with their stronger kick and fling them right off. Somebody needs to invent some really lightweight booties so they stay in place. We need weight weenies for doggies!

·
Bored Carp
1,596 Posts
JMH and I love our trail dog. She is an Aussie / Border Collie mix from a ranch's working line. Good to go for miles and miles. If you have ever seen Niner's trail dog t-shirt, she might look familiar...

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
A new thread is not bad, but if you want to see all the sweet trail dogs posted before, here's the link to the thread. Here's my little guy from the last time I took him on the trails.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Fat Bob said:
Ben,

You didn't recently go to Government Canyon in San Antonio did you :D

Nice looking Aussie Cattle dog, I had a room mate that had one... tough as nails, but not much of a trail dog back then
Nope, haven't riddin down in SA yet, been ridin in Ausin since I moved here a couple years ago, need to branch out and have fun in some more cities. I'm going up to ft worth this weekend but unfortunately the dog will have to be boarded, relatives I'm staying with can't handle any more dogs in their house.

1 - 20 of 184 Posts