Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of 2/20/11 Pisgah is in really great shape for riding. I haven't ridden in Bent Creek or DuPont recently so I don't know what they are looking like. But from the recent posts and personal experience, Bent Creek tends to get really beat this time of year. I'd suggest everybody give BC a rest and ride pisgah. Especially while the seasonals are still open. If you have never left bent creek, now would be a great time to check out the rest of Pisgah.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Maida7 said:
As of 2/20/11 Pisgah is in really great shape for riding. I haven't ridden in Bent Creek or DuPont recently so I don't know what they are looking like. But from the recent posts and personal experience, Bent Creek tends to get really beat this time of year. I'd suggest everybody give BC a rest and ride pisgah. Especially while the seasonals are still open. If you have never left bent creek, now would be a great time to check out the rest of Pisgah.
Since I ride BC quite often I will make this comment, BC is in the best shape I have seen since last summer. :eek: I made the suggestion this morning that we should try and encourage folks to ride there because all the tire traffic is beating down the ruts. Seriously though it is dry(in most areas), fast, and the temp has been perfect for being outdoors.:thumbsup: To bad I spent most of the weekend with a hammer and shovel in my hands.

Tomorrow I am dedicating my day to Squirrel Gap! :cornut:

·
endorphin junkie
422 Posts
Yep, trail conditions are very good in BC. I rode about an hour and a half this evening, on all or part of Deer Lake, Wolf Branch, Lower Sidehill, Explorer, Pine Tree and Deerfield and Hard Times Connector. A little soft in just a few of the usual places, but I agree.. this is the driest it has been in a long, long time. As far as ruts go, not bad at all. Some of the service roads are actually in worse shape than the trails. Bent Creek Rd. in particular.

·
Registered
418 Posts
DSF Trails Nice...

I rode DSF's west side (Wilkie, Micajah, Quarry, Twixt, Corn Mill Shoals, Burnt, Little River, Cedar Rock, Big Rock) yesterday--stuff is generally dry and packed... And on weekdays you'll have the Forest to yourself. mostly--think I saw fewer than a dozen other users...
TZ

·
Registered
82 Posts
TrailZen said:
I rode DSF's west side (Wilkie, Micajah, Quarry, Twixt, Corn Mill Shoals, Burnt, Little River, Cedar Rock, Big Rock) yesterday--stuff is generally dry and packed... And on weekdays you'll have the Forest to yourself. mostly--think I saw fewer than a dozen other users...
TZ
My favorite:thumbsup:

·
consistent default champ
747 Posts
DSF East side

I was in DSF on the east side yesterday. Reasonover, Ridgeline, Airstrip, Mine Mtn, etc all in great shape.
The other woman I was riding with said the same thing about BC. She rides there all the time and said it is in great shape.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rode BC yesterday, and last week. Riding again in BC today...Needless to say it my usual spot. Rode Deer Lake Lodge yesterday for the first time since its been worked and i love it.

Seeing how BC is 11 miles from my doorstep, i reckon you can call me a "regular".

·
endorphin junkie
422 Posts
It's the middle of February and the BC trails are dry, drier than they have been in a long time. Remember where they were this time last year? Covered in ice and snow. There was no riding at all.

Given the time of year, as far as I'm concerned BC is in "great shape". I'd rather be able to ride, ruts or not, than be stuck inside, waiting another two months for the snow to melt.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
rshalit said:
Looking at all the most-excellent-looking Pisgah rides (at http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/?cat=7) and preparing for my first trip to NC - wondering which trails have the most technical/AM sections. Also, recommended LBS in the area. thanks! ([email protected])
Bennett Gap
Black Mountain
Farlow Gap

Are the three trails that seem like they have a "puzzle" that I haven't unlocked yet. They all feature steep technical rocky moves w/ fairly high penalties for failure. Farlow is generally touted as the toughest legal trail in Pisgah and I agree simply because it has the longest not ride-able by most sections. The other two, Black and Bennett are more high speed descending w/ smaller not ride-able by most sections that are a joy to walk through. ;) If you're looking for the fun factor trails - don't bother w/ Farlow on your first trip unless you're bored w/ the rest.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Did Black Mountain for the first time on Sat. Getting up there was a challenge, especially the last couple hundred feet getting up to the top, hikable, but not ridable. You are definitely high, something like 4200 ft. The way down was great, just wish I could have dropped my big bike at the top. The lower section had a couple of moist spots (blind side of the trail), but for the most part it was dry.

I agree with the penalties comment, but that's what made it fun. There wasn't anyone else up there, likely due to the penalities part.

·
Registered
4 Posts
rshalit said:
Looking at all the most-excellent-looking Pisgah rides (at http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/?cat=7) and preparing for my first trip to NC - wondering which trails have the most technical/AM sections. Also, recommended LBS in the area. thanks! ([email protected])
Carolina Fatz is a spit down the road from Bent Creek. Good people to be found there, Jason, the owner is a damn good feller along with Marcus and Nathan.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
waterdogs said:
Did Black Mountain for the first time on Sat. Getting up there was a challenge, especially the last couple hundred feet getting up to the top, hikable, but not ridable. You are definitely high, something like 4200 ft. The way down was great, just wish I could have dropped my big bike at the top. The lower section had a couple of moist spots (blind side of the trail), but for the most part it was dry.

I agree with the penalties comment, but that's what made it fun. There wasn't anyone else up there, likely due to the penalities part.
Black, out of the three that I mentioned is probably the most subdued. Most of the trail is fast and fun.

·
Registered
490 Posts
plume said:
Black, out of the three that I mentioned is probably the most subdued. Most of the trail is fast and fun.
The upper portion of Black was the most gnarly, the lower flowed a bit more for an XC bike. Sorry, I don't have all the intersection names down.

We were going to shuttle Farlow with the big bikes, but since the road is closed (we didn't see it... the guys at the Hub told us about it), we decided not to. I think we are going back to do Bennett's this weekend.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.