Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are the trails looking?
We rode Ord on Saturday--nice as usual.
Called Coe today to ride there but were told the trails were closed to bikes because the rain trigger got tripped--I think it's 1/2 inch and they close for a bit?
And, it looks like MidPen has the usual closures.
We got in a short ride at Santa Cruz today. There's a few small places where the water is being retained but other than that, the only thing to worry about is the slippery logs and 40 degree weather.

How are things holding up?

·
just another bleepin SSer
1,461 Posts
I think this post needs to wait until the rain stops on Friday or Saturday. Supposed to be significant accumulations, so any word on the trails today may not be representative of weekend riding.

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Dear The Law,

What tires would you find most suitable for the above mentioned trails?

Sincerely,
Ryan

ps. China Camp is looking good, Headlands and Mt. Tam (but let you know more about that after friday)

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
China Camp so far has been the most ideal for me, just gotta watch out for the mud puddles on the decreasng radius right handers which make for some nice ****-your-pants moments hahah

·
aka dan51
6,022 Posts
singlespeed.org said:
I think this post needs to wait until the rain stops on Friday or Saturday. Supposed to be significant accumulations, so any word on the trails today may not be representative of weekend riding.
Is this rain really coming?
It was suppose to start dumping on Sunday, but so far it's been just drizzle.
I'll go out on a limb and say we won't get dumped on. I hope we do get lots of rain though.

·
Natural body armor
2,178 Posts
singlespeed.org said:
I think this post needs to wait until the rain stops on Friday or Saturday.
I've not seen what I would call rain in the last 24hrs and yes I've been outside... ;)

I rode figure 8 in Los Gatos yesterday and it was in pretty good conditions: I can't believe how good traction was coming down Dogmeat and Overgrown.

Today went to Fremont Older: singletracks was pretty muddy (walked some stuff to avoid damage to the trail) but all the fireroad part is pretty okay, just muddy.

And don't give me crap for trail damage, i think mountain bike tires just help mending the damage from horses (from today at FO)

The Law said:
Black with knobs, of course.
I think Ryan had a legitimate question there (but didn't sound too serious :rolleyes: )
Specialized Capitain/Fast Trak get clogged pretty quick (still decent though).
There must be a better tire for these conditions (possibly tubeless ready), so tire experts speak up.

Tomorrow some SC riding, hopefully won't be too cold.
The plan is to make this week a 20k footies week :thumbsup:

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Zen_Turtle said:
Today went to Fremont Older: singletracks was pretty muddy (walked some stuff to avoid damage to the trail) but all the fireroad part is pretty okay, just muddy.

And don't give me crap for trail damage, i think mountain bike tires just help mending the damage from horses (from today at FO)

I think Ryan had a legitimate question there (but didn't sound too serious :rolleyes: )
Specialized Capitain/Fast Trak get clogged pretty quick (still decent though).
There must be a better tire for these conditions (possibly tubeless ready), so tire experts speak up.

Tomorrow some SC riding, hopefully won't be too cold.
The plan is to make this week a 20k footies week :thumbsup:
Ooh, I'm jealous about the 20k footies week. If you need a ride buddy, let us know. We're available.

Nice pic of the horse tracks.

And, on the rain, some of us will be riding before the weekend starts so we need to know trail conditions pronto! Here's to hoping for as little rain as possible until I go back to work.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Just did a quick "last chance on Leaf" ride this afternoon at Skeggs, middle gate (CM02) Sierra Morena to Fir to Tafoni to ECdM to North Leaf to South Leaf, then back on pavement. Not too muddy anywhere, Morena was the worst (which is why we avoided the section from CM03-02). Leaf trails were surprisingly good and not muddy at all, but increased technical factor just due to wet conditions (wet roots, rocks). A couple trees down, but the big one has been there for weeks. I bet they do the seasonal closures anytime now though (Leaf trails, lower Methuselah, Virginia Mill) - we saw a ranger truck at CM08, bet they were hiking to check out the trails.

·
Natural body armor
2,178 Posts
The Law said:
Ooh, I'm jealous about the 20k footies week. If you need a ride buddy, let us know. We're available.

Nice pic of the horse tracks.

And, on the rain, some of us will be riding before the weekend starts so we need to know trail conditions pronto! Here's to hoping for as little rain as possible until I go back to work.
Only 2.6k ft in SC today, so I'm at a little shy of 9k today with 2 days to go (didn't realize I'm leaving Sat)
Didn't rain much today.
Thinking about Skeggs on the 25th and more Los Gatos figure 8 on the 26th
Ft.Ord would be best, but too far, need something closer.
Is Coe still closed? I heard footies count double there...

Where you guys riding in south bay these days?
ZT

·
Nature Rider, Not MTBer
2,695 Posts
Zen_Turtle said:
Only 2.6k ft in SC today, so I'm at a little shy of 9k today with 2 days to go (didn't realize I'm leaving Sat)
Didn't rain much today.
Thinking about Skeggs on the 25th and more Los Gatos figure 8 on the 26th
Ft.Ord would be best, but too far, need something closer.
Is Coe still closed? I heard footies count double there...

Where you guys riding in south bay these days?
ZT
Coe singletrack is closed for 48 hours after 1/2" of rain. Lots of fireroad is always open at Coe if you want to ride.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I remember during the rainy season last year, if I have to ride dirt around waterdog, I stay on the Carlmont side only. Or the fireroad that leads you to the lake area. Try to avoid much of the trails there during the wet season.

·
Natural body armor
2,178 Posts
Plim said:
Coe singletrack is closed for 48 hours after 1/2" of rain. Lots of fireroad is always open at Coe if you want to ride.
Thanks! I think fireroads are the only option these days. Midday ride there maybe...

Waterdog: been there only once, but doesn't look like a place that takes rain well

EDIT: or maybe not... it's now pouring and reeely windy...

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.